Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Margaret Thatcher

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Damn. I saw this thread title and thought she was dead.

I dared to hope too!

"Thatcher promoted divisiveness in British society (something she believed not to exist) and encouraged the selfish gene at the expense of a humane and tolerant world. Her clearest legacy is that most people under 30 can't afford to buy a house, and many over 40 who lost a lot of money in the last housing crash can still no longer do so. In 1979 she claimed 'Labour isn't working' but in 3 short years she tripled Unemployment"
PG

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Goodness me, what a lot of credit you are giving to one politician!!
There weren't any other ministers in the government at the time, and she even managed to creat somebody? I thought only the Almighty could do that.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I dared to hope too!

"Thatcher promoted divisiveness in British society (something she believed not to exist) and encouraged the selfish gene at the expense of a humane and tolerant world. Her clearest legacy is that most people under 30 can't afford to buy a house, and many over 40 who lost a lot of money in the last housing crash can still no longer do so. In 1979 she claimed 'Labour isn't working' but in 3 short years she tripled Unemployment"
PG

Eloquently put. My sentiments exactly.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
1. She helped destroyed workers rights by gagging the unions(although I do admit the likes of Scargill didn't help!)
2. She destoyed communities in the North and Wales by closing Coal Mines and bought in more expensive coal from overseas.
3. Policies that directly led this country into recession in 1981 and 1992.
4. Created the yuppie culture which meant the rich in London got rich, whilst the rest of the country struggled.
5. Miners strikes, Ambulancemen strikes, teacher strikes.
6. Interest rates averaging 10%
7. Inflation averaging 5%
8. Unemployment figures amounting to 4million
9. Poll tax
10. She was ginger

Apart from that she was ok!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thatcher decreed that There Is No Such Thing As Society and was directly responsible for the rise of the Greed Is Good ethos that disfigured Britain in the Eighties. Disgusting decade, disgusting woman.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Couldn't stand her as a person but as somebody who's job was threatened during the power strikes (by the strikers) I admire the way she stopped most unions holding the rest of us to ransome. The reason most of our industries went down the pan was because or the ridiculous restrictive practices and general all round lazy and shoddy workmanship. Take a look at Leyland and you'll get the idea.

That Frankie baby is utter codswallop. An overwhelming percentage of miners where in favour of the strike but played into her hands because of Scargills obstinence on the ballot issues. They were striking to save whole communities that relied solely on those pits and had met all productivity levels that Heseltine had set to keep the pits open. They were hard working men who held no-one to ransom. The reason our industries went to pot was because of lower prices from the Tiger economies and had nothing to do with shoddy workmanship and laziness. Leyland was run badly by a corrupt South African and he antagonised the working man very much in the same compassionless way Thatcher and her henchmen did.
Her legacy is as LB states, Northern Rock and all the other disgusting get rich quick and forget about the later consequences practises we saw during her reign.

and she nicked my milk............. horrible hard nosed cow.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Thatcher decreed that There Is No Such Thing As Society and was directly responsible for the rise of the Greed Is Good ethos that disfigured Britain in the Eighties. Disgusting decade, disgusting woman.

Agreed and I think that the view that there is no such thing as collective responsibiliity just self enrichment has led directly to the 'Fxxx you' attitude which permeates all levels of society these days.

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
God, I'm glad I only glance at this board occasionally.
I don't want to contemplate the fact that there are fellow Albion fans who admire this evil bastard. For fcks sake let's just stick to football shall we.....

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I guess one of the legacies of Thatcher (often overlooked) is that the conservatives have been out of power for such a long time.

That doesn't come form a personal political viewpoint but a very interesting documentary about the Tories a couple of weeks ago, where many were interviewed.

I saw that.

The Party's very refusal to progress from the Thatcher ideal - and their implied insinuations of treachery and disloyalty if you tried to move on from Thatcherism - will taint them for a while yet.

Cameron, while wanting to move on from her legacy, will not be able to fully take the party with him for at least another generation, and even then not so much a generation on from 1997, but a generation on from her demise.

D

Deleted User X18H

She is simpley the greatest English women ever to have lived ,where there was despair she brought hope, where there was discord she brought harmony and where there was error she brought truth and where there was doubt she brought faith.

she makes the current incumbent of No 10 look like a retard.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
She is simpley the greatest English women ever to have lived ,where there was despair she brought hope, where there was discord she brought harmony and where there was error she brought truth and where there was doubt she brought faith.

she makes the current incumbent of No 10 look like a retard.

You have to laugh...

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
She was one of the team of chemists at J Lyons & Co who first developed soft ice cream.

Not content with inflicting that abomination on the public, she went on to destroy British manufacturing industry and inspired a new economy in which speculating in the future price of non-existent commodities gave opportunities to a bunch of spivs to become obscenely rich.

She sincerely believed that the "one-nation" philosophy of traditional Conservatism was "wet".

Her legacy is Northern Rock.

Jeeeez, I honestly thought you people no longer existed, even in China and Russia !!

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Following on from the fact that the senile old crow used to work for J LYONS & CO AT CADBY HALL it should also be noted that in later life she returned the favour by employing Nigel Lawson as chancellor. His first wife, mother of Nigella Lawson was an heiress of one of the JOE LYONS COMPANY founding families,(SALMON FAMILY).
Corruption seemed to follow THATCHER and her family throughout her life.

:smokin::smokin::smokin:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Following on from the fact that the senile old crow used to work for J LYONS & CO AT CADBY HALL it should also be noted that in later life she returned the favour by employing Nigel Lawson as chancellor. His first wife, mother of Nigella Lawson was an heiress of one of the JOE LYONS COMPANY founding families,(SALMON FAMILY).
Corruption seemed to follow THATCHER and her family throughout her life.

:smokin::smokin::smokin:

Thats a relief, I am just so glad that nepotism no longer exists ...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
She is simpley the greatest English women ever to have lived ,where there was despair she brought hope, where there was discord she brought harmony.

Oh, look, here's her bringing harmony during the Miners Strike :rant:

miners-strive-orgreave.jpg

Only one 'enemy within' in 1984 - and it sure as hell wasn't the miners...

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The manufacturing industry was always going to go down the pan wasn't it? We couldn't compete with the far east.

Is her legacy really Northern Rock? Whilst one claims that Britain is a much greater place nowadays, could that not be contributed to the foundations laid by Thatcher?

Northern Rock went down the toilet as it had an extremely risky business model which no one ever questioned. it was the Labour government that brought the FSA into regulating mortgages , not in itself a bad thing but the Labour government and the FSA failed woefully in allowing the Northern Rock to carry on its flawed business model based on 125% mortgages, 100% mortgages, adverse/sub prime mortgages, self cert mortgages and buy to lets. I really can't see how Thatch nealy 20 years after she left office can be blamed for that one.

There's a lot of people on NSC who probably blame her for our invasion of Iraq.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here