Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Margaret Thatcher

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Britain is a better place nowadays? You are joking aren't you?

I do not believe it is, but that seems to be the general consensus. I was suggesting that foundations are laid well before time and any upturn in fortunes are not solely due to the current government. There are people that claim Britain is booming and that is all down to Blair and so on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It is not a better place nowe only through USA greed and wrecklessness in mortgage lending which is having a profound affect on global economics.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i fuckin hate thatcher with a fuckin passion

cant wait for the day when i can say "i hated thatcher" cos it'll mean shes dead
fuckin ****

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I guess one of the legacies of Thatcher (often overlooked) is that the conservatives have been out of power for such a long time.

That doesn't come form a personal political viewpoint but a very interesting documentary about the Tories a couple of weeks ago, where many were interviewed.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
A truly awful bloody woman. If she was still around, we'd still be at war in Ireland.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I'm writing a paper on her at the moment for my Modern British History class, anyone have any comments on her "legacy" that would like to be referenced for my essay? :jester:

Ripped the soul out of the Englih nation.

Convinced the nation that greed and selfishness was not just OK but something to cherish and cheer about.

Gave rise to the social problems we are now seeing.

I will piss on her grave when the old witch dies.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
At the Dublin European Council in November 1979, Thatcher argued that the United Kingdom paid far more to the European Economic Community than it received in spending. She declared at the summit: "We are not asking the Community or anyone else for money. We are simply asking to have our own money back". Her arguments were successful and at the June 1984 Fontainebleau Summit, the EEC agreed on an annual rebate for the United Kingdom, amounting to 66% of the difference between Britain's EU contributions and receipts. This still remains in effect, although Tony Blair later agreed to significantly reduce the size of the rebate. It periodically causes political controversy among the members of the European Union

Another Labour f*** up in giving back what Thatcher had previously won back.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Couldn't stand her as a person but as somebody who's job was threatened during the power strikes (by the strikers) I admire the way she stopped most unions holding the rest of us to ransome. The reason most of our industries went down the pan was because or the ridiculous restrictive practices and general all round lazy and shoddy workmanship. Take a look at Leyland and you'll get the idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here