Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marcus Rashford abuse on social media.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Particularly when there is no record of their previous bans in the moderating thread.

Guinness Boy always ensures my name is up in lights but you’re quite right as explained to me by iirc Goldstone, putting the perp on the moderation list sits with the individual moderator, a few weeks ago if I remember correctly and apologies if I’ve got this wrong roger six was banned for casual homophobia but he didn’t appear on the list.

I don’t envy the job these poor moderators have and regret adding to their workload recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I understand it would be a huge operation to implement, but why not demand that people have a month to provide valid ID in order to keep their social media profiles alive? Any new accounts obviously need the same vetting system, and anyone who starts all this shite on social media can immediately be identified. Won't put an end to it, but will certainly deter 99% of keyboard warriors.

The NSA would be delighted with this solution. It would be the first time in history people would be unable to express opinions without having them registered and saved for eternity, to possibly be used against you one day.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
As one of more hysterical posts accusing me of racism on this thread, let’s get your hands off the pearls, dry out your mattress and understand specifically what is happening with Rashford today.

Rashford is evidently being subjected to a lot of comments on social media concerning his performance last night. Some of that is abhorrent racist abuse, some of it abhorrent abuse, some of it sarcastic abuse etc. There is supportive stuff too, just for balance.

If you (and others) are only concerned about the abhorrent racist abuse he is getting then I have no axe to grind that the perpetrators are identified and subject to justice (whatever that means in the local jurisdictions from which the abuser resides). Good luck to whoever is coordinating that analysis, legal assessments and passing the details over for the relevant authorities etc. around the world to pursue, I am sure those authorities have no other competing priorities at the moment.

On the assumption that the above steps are undertaken, that still leaves all the other abhorrent abuse comments and sarcasm comments etc. The global authorities have no reason to go after the perpetrators of this abuse and therefore how should Rashford deal with this abuse?

And I will tell you again, he should a) ignore it.........like ALL the abuse he receives and/or b) come off social media.

Stating this position does not constitute racism, neither does it condone ANY of the abuse.

As this thread proves though, with so many hysterical types on social media these days it’s easy to see how different points of view can drift into abuse.

An awful lot of words to try and fail to detract from the fact that your first post not only tried to gloss over the racist abuse Marcus Rashford receives but also to imply it was somehow his own fault.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The NSA would be delighted with this solution. It would be the first time in history people would be unable to express opinions without having them registered and saved for eternity, to possibly be used against you one day.

Exactly. It’s not as cut and dried a solution as some people in the media portray it (“just get everyone to use their real names, riiight? Easy”).

In some countries people would be committing a crime for expressing certain views against the government or state. One of the huge plusses of Twitter and the like is pure freedom of information. Information that cannot be contained as people can post anonymously.

To take all that away is a huge call and probably why it hasn’t happened yet.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Does that mean you're for the status quo which is effectively a racists charter to what they damn please.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Does that mean you're for the status quo which is effectively a racists charter to what they damn please.

Not necessarily but the suggested solution - connecting social media accounts to real life identity - is worse than the status quo. Part because of privacy issues, part because of how many forums like NSC that would have to shut down if this became a law.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
An awful lot of words to try and fail to detract from the fact that your first post not only tried to gloss over the racist abuse Marcus Rashford receives but also to imply it was somehow his own fault.

So let’s do it in fewer words, Rashford got a load of abuse some of it racial, some of it not. If the authorities etc cannot locate the perpetrators of the racial abuse for whatever reason what should Rashford do about it, in a practical sense?

Ignore it......sticks and stones innit;
Come off social media.......understandable, but a bit yellow; or,
Something else?

He can go on and on and on about it, constantly making statements about how it makes him feel sad etc. However in the context of this specific problem many people will just see a multi millionaire moaning about the nasty things he has been sent to his Twitter account from people around the world. Some won’t, like on this thread.

For the record, I thought Rashford was shit on Weds, I don’t rate him but then I hate Man U. Whilst there is a line to be drawn about racist abuse, ultimately, Rashford whining about his lot is laughable. If he wants less abuse he needs to get better, stop the distractions and focus on his game.

I reckon if he was playing when Fergie was manager and Keane was captain this pampered kid would get a home truth other two. But as I say, the past is a different country.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
So let’s do it in fewer words, Rashford got a load of abuse some of it racial, some of it not. If the authorities etc cannot locate the perpetrators of the racial abuse for whatever reason what should Rashford do about it, in a practical sense?

Ignore it......sticks and stones innit;
Come off social media.......understandable, but a bit yellow; or,
Something else?

He can go on and on and on about it, constantly making statements about how it makes him feel sad etc. However in the context of this specific problem many people will just see a multi millionaire moaning about the nasty things he has been sent to his Twitter account from people around the world. Some won’t, like on this thread.

For the record, I thought Rashford was shit on Weds, I don’t rate him but then I hate Man U. Whilst there is a line to be drawn about racist abuse, ultimately, Rashford whining about his lot is laughable. If he wants less abuse he needs to get better, stop the distractions and focus on his game.

I reckon if he was playing when Fergie was manager and Keane was captain this pampered kid would get a home truth other two. But as I say, the past is a different country.
You don't get it do you? If these ' abusers' were not directing their abuse at Rashford it would be someone else. He is just highlighting the problem that shouldn't be there. He wants it to stop not just for his sake but for others.....he is making a stand from his high profile lifestyle. Why should he ignore it? I am sure he has the ability to turn the other cheek but that would be ignoring the problem, he's not winging he is highlighting a problem others are not in a position too, likewise he did in the meals for kids.....whats wrong in that. I really don't get the 'get on with your job and ignore it ' attitude. I don't know the answer to the abuse but I know it is wrong & I admire Rashford for his ability to try & change things for the good for himself & others who do not have the high profile he has worked hard to achieve.

As for his footballing ability.....would have him in an Albion shirt like a shot.:)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You don't get it do you? If these ' abusers' were not directing their abuse at Rashford it would be someone else. He is just highlighting the problem that shouldn't be there. He wants it to stop not just for his sake but for others.....he is making a stand from his high profile lifestyle. Why should he ignore it? I am sure he has the ability to turn the other cheek but that would be ignoring the problem, he's not winging he is highlighting a problem others are not in a position too, likewise he did in the meals for kids.....whats wrong in that. I really don't get the 'get on with your job and ignore it ' attitude. I don't know the answer to the abuse but I know it is wrong & I admire Rashford for his ability to try & change things for the good for himself & others who do not have the high profile he has worked hard to achieve.

As for his footballing ability.....would have him in an Albion shirt like a shot.:)

You get it because you are not making mealy-mouthed excuses for those racist knobheads on social media.

Your post is spot on. Most, without an agenda will surely agree.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009

This thread started on the basis of what can be done about the abuse of Rashford on social media. Rashford WILL have to ignore it to some extent, unless perpetrators are in U.K. there will in all likelihood be little done.

Utopian ideals are fine as far as it goes, you want to buy the world a coke and there should never be any racism anywhere on the planet. In the real world it exists, in the U.K. much much less than in 60s, 70s 80s etc. when being a black footballer was tough.

Societal attitudes towards racism have changed markedly and that is a good thing. People less powerful than Rashford get violent racist abuse when doing their jobs, not just nasty tweets, their experiences should be given the same exposure, like this poor Council worker.

https://west-midlands.police.uk/news/pair-convicted-over-violent-attack-council-litter-official

It’s a lot harder to ignore racist abuse when you are being smacked over the head with a pole.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This thread started on the basis of what can be done about the abuse of Rashford on social media. Rashford WILL have to ignore it to some extent, unless perpetrators are in U.K. there will in all likelihood be little done.

Utopian ideals are fine as far as it goes, you want to buy the world a coke and there should never be any racism anywhere on the planet. In the real world it exists, in the U.K. much much less than in 60s, 70s 80s etc. when being a black footballer was tough.

Societal attitudes towards racism have changed markedly and that is a good thing. People less powerful than Rashford get violent racist abuse when doing their jobs, not just nasty tweets, their experiences should be given the same exposure, like this poor Council worker.

https://west-midlands.police.uk/news/pair-convicted-over-violent-attack-council-litter-official

It’s a lot harder to ignore racist abuse when you are being smacked over the head with a pole.
A video of an oppressed minority fighting back against oppressive white rule won't cut much ice on here!

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

I don't disagree with you on most of your post but in previous posts you comment that Rashford should just leave social media if he can't handle the abuse. My point is ' why should he?' He is doing the complaining from a privileged advantage point that could & should help to make a difference. Of course we all should agree to try to find a solution to a problem that exists in all sections of society. I am sure Rashford would be horrified by the abuse your link highlights, saddened more so than his on line abuse but it doesn't make him a selfish, self centred mamby parmby who has admitted he has been affected by online abuse..

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I got told once, if you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all. Just imagine if it was one of your family getting all this abuse. Some people need to take a long hard look at themselves.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not necessarily but the suggested solution - connecting social media accounts to real life identity - is worse than the status quo. Part because of privacy issues, part because of how many forums like NSC that would have to shut down if this became a law.

Why would NSC have to shut down?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why would NSC have to shut down?

would have thought it obvious, the administrative burden and liabilities would make most forums unsustainable.
the answer is to report transgression and have the police act on them. no one is really anonymous on the internet given sufficient effort.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I don't disagree with you on most of your post but in previous posts you comment that Rashford should just leave social media if he can't handle the abuse. My point is ' why should he?' He is doing the complaining from a privileged advantage point that could & should help to make a difference. Of course we all should agree to try to find a solution to a problem that exists in all sections of society. I am sure Rashford would be horrified by the abuse your link highlights, saddened more so than his on line abuse but it doesn't make him a selfish, self centred mamby parmby who has admitted he has been affected by online abuse..

Well, just spent a few hours with 3 Man Utd fans, proper ones from Salford. Their view, in short and unanimously, was if Rashford was playing well he can knock himself out with his political journey, but the fact is his performances recently have been poor. That’s not excusing ANY abuse but their views were football first, mother teresa second.

I don’t care what St Marcus does, if he wants to stay on Twitter to face down the racists then fine, as I said coming off is yellow. However he will need to ignore the abuse, in a kinda sticks and stones innit way.

FACT.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
would have thought it obvious, the administrative burden and liabilities would make most forums unsustainable.
the answer is to report transgression and have the police act on them. no one is really anonymous on the internet given sufficient effort.

But surely that would depend on what laws are enacted. They could enact laws that make forums as responsible as publishers or they could say that you have no liability if you can identify your members. That said, I agree that no one is really anonymous which suggest not enough effort is made to catch the perpetrators.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here