Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marcus Rashford abuse on social media.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But surely that would depend on what laws are enacted. They could enact laws that make forums as responsible as publishers or they could say that you have no liability if you can identify your members. That said, I agree that no one is really anonymous which suggest not enough effort is made to catch the perpetrators.

that is presently the case, police can ask for IP records on demand. that'll be sufficient for most cases.
having to request, verify and hold ID details for thousands of people brings another level of law, security and admin that hobby forums just wont want to deal with. and do you really want to be uploading your driving licence/passport/voter ID to bobs-gardening.org.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
An old thread, and so sad to see it happen again last night to a truly remarkable young man.

What a credit to his nation, his community and to so many struggling families he is with his selfless charity work. I just read his instagram reponse to all the vile racist abuse he suffered last night and it just makes me admire him even more. A truly humble, wonderful human being and he is worth 100x more than the sick idiots who abuse him.

Hats off to you Marcus Rashford MBE.

We all win together and we all lose together.

Rashford1.jpg

rashford2.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
An old thread, and so sad to see it happen again last night to a truly remarkable young man.

What a credit to his nation, his community and to so many struggling families he is with his selfless charity work. I just read his instagram reponse to all the vile racist abuse he suffered last night and it just makes me admire him even more. A truly humble, wonderful human being and he is worth 100x more than the sick idiots who abuse him.

View attachment 138566

View attachment 138567

:bowdown: :clap2:

What a man. Thanks for posting.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

View attachment 138566

View attachment 138567

Thanks for posting that. He’s a very impressive young man.
I’d been surfing the net and reading about all the shit that happened yesterday and read the local community had come out today and posted positive messages over the covered up graffiti on the mural of him in Manchester. Heart warming stuff and further evidence if it were needed that the silent majority in this country are good people.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Rashford has proven himself to be a top bloke and the massive majority of people will rightly support him.

A lot of emphasis in the press re racial abuse of the three penalty takers (all having some black heritage) - yet in the world of social media it literally is a few idiots amongst a huge global audience of millions? Do we really expect amongst such huge numbers of people there won't be a tiny percentage of absolute bellends? Very niaive and too much press given to them imo - just prosecute them quietly like the lad who abused Maupay. Do we really need Boris to comment on it?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

View attachment 138566

View attachment 138567

I have tears of pride after reading that.....

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
If these players had received the same abuse (useless c*** etc), without the racial overtones, would this have made the news?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
C6930E62-D5D1-4CDC-AF53-CE8E5B43B3FA.jpeg

Good to see clubs taking a stand on this

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Rashford has proven himself to be a top bloke and the massive majority of people will rightly support him.

A lot of emphasis in the press re racial abuse of the three penalty takers (all having some black heritage) - yet in the world of social media it literally is a few idiots amongst a huge global audience of millions? Do we really expect amongst such huge numbers of people there won't be a tiny percentage of absolute bellends? Very niaive and too much press given to them imo - just prosecute them quietly like the lad who abused Maupay. Do we really need Boris to comment on it?
This, this and this.

I think this final has been presented in a certain negative light. The media both regular and social across the world are using certain section of our support to beat us with. Where is the positive press?

It pains me to say it but between these ****ing morons and the media that are shining their light on them we have lost a supporter. My sixteen year old boy who is half English and half Aussie has jumped off the England team because he is embarrassed to be associated with the England support in social media.

I have explained to him that this is not representative of who we are but social media is his window into the world. Especially the European world, so far from us. Later today I am going to show him the photos and videos from my mate who went. His experience looked amazing and far from the version presented by the media.

I'm am torn between the desire to out these ****ing morons and to present our support accurately. There are always idiots and morons doing as they do (like the twit on here who think that Rashford earns too much to be affected by racism) why do we give them more of a platform than the vast majority of people?

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Mings has gone up in my estimation by criticising Priti Patels gesture politics

Agree. I see Gary Neville had a pop at BoJo on the same theme.

Just found out from a friend in the UK, that the firm his wife works for, had sacked someone after they discovered the person had contributed to the abuse via their Twitter account. They claimed that their numerous social media accounts had all been hacked at the same time.:facepalm:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think we are screwed now because the internet is a worldwide phenomena anyone can post and theres literally millions of trolls about. I just don't believe most of the online hate is from English people. I think racism exists but is nowhere near as bad as people make out in this country. And I don't believe that anyone would be attacking random black people in public because 3 missed penalties. That's ludicrous.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not necessarily but the suggested solution - connecting social media accounts to real life identity - is worse than the status quo. Part because of privacy issues, part because of how many forums like NSC that would have to shut down if this became a law.

Bollocks.

I'd be happy to 'go public' if we all had to.

Clean slate, mind.

:whistle::facepalm:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Why do you ask?

I ask because if the tweets had been abusive (but not racist) to the three penalty takers (or say, if Maguire had missed his), would this just have been accepted and not even made the news? Obviously adding racist remarks makes the tweets even more abhorrent, but I think the bigger issue is abuse online more in general. Twitter etc can be absolutely vile. 99% of these people wouldn’t say these things out loud in real life or in a stadium for fear of the repercussions (arrest, football ban, backlash etc). Even if Rashford and co had been called a you know what without any racism, it’s still not right.

Everything has a shelf life. I used to love Twitter, but now it’s just toxic in every way. Proper debate can’t be had without fear or being cancelled on the one hand, and abusers just hide behind a computer screen on the other. I can’t see many redeeming features it has for celebrities to still continue using it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think we are screwed now because the internet is a worldwide phenomena anyone can post and theres literally millions of trolls about. I just don't believe most of the online hate is from English people. I think racism exists but is nowhere near as bad as people make out in this country. And I don't believe that anyone would be attacking random black people in public because 3 missed penalties. That's ludicrous.

Alright. Let's imagine you are expressing sincerely held beliefs here and not doing a cross between the watusi and fandango....

Which foreigners do you suggest defaced the Marcus Rashford mural today?

Which foreigners were responsible for booing when England take the knee?

How much do you think people are exaggerating racism in this country? All I see is reports of the utter madness of a tiny number of cretins, with very carefully worded support and encouragement from soppy old racists like Das Reich.

It is a small but noisy minority, and playing it down is the wrong reaction.

Since it is so infrequent and done by so few, like paedophiles they should be and can be hunted down and dealt with, easily, right? Nothing to see here, etc. So, bring it on. :shrug:

Do you agree, therefore, that maximum effort should be brought to bear to hunt down the tiny number of racists in the UK?

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Social media and the web itself are double edged swords. It gets nasty out there (and here). Until these platforms get their houses in order nothing will change. Don't feed the trolls, is at the moment, the best ploy of all. Block, ignore, report etc. Billions of users and interractions. There will be persistent offensive trolls because they can get a reaction and some infamy and they will get a sick pleasure from a nasty/racist/offensive post hitting home.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Tories out

[tweet]1414655312074784785[/tweet]

Interesting point - it's not just Patel, it goes much wider. It was almost impossible to get any Tory to condemn the booing of taking the knee. Casting my mind back a few weeks, it was excruciating listening to one after another being interviewed, each in turn refusing to condemn the booing. I hope they feel thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed of themselves, but I somehow suspect most won't. Things started to get rather bleak during the Brexit referendum campaign. Farage and his cronies ensured the debate focussed on immigration (and race). Gradually, over the past five years or so, many mainstream politicians have played the populist game, and allowed racism to become "acceptable". I hope the reaction from the likes of Mings will perhaps be a turning point. It at least gives some hope, at last, after an extremely depressing period during which the UK (or rather, England) has become a rather nasty, intolerant country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here