Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I think we have Leeds to thank in part for getting £50M for young White. That season running away with the Championship, all the noise generated around him, the Free Ben White campaign - all raised his profile enormously. Had we kept him at Brighton to quietly and gradually work his way into the first team I don't think we'd have got the same amount of money for him.
Cucurella's price? I have no idea!

We only have ONE man to thank for us getting £50M for White........The best coach in the world.... Marcelo Bielsa

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I was really meaning to others - ie, the price for White was £50m, would the price for Cucu be similar, higher or lower. Although I suppose that how valuable he is for us right now affects whether we'd accept a fair market value.

Obviously I hope he stays regardless, he's a joy to watch. But if he's destined for CL footy and if the numbers work for Sir Tony Bloom, then I understand he may go. In which case, I was wondering what sort of figure is right.

Transfer fees are always hard to guage aren't they? I'd expect we will naturally go to the high end, and opposing teams/fans will go to the lower end. But its interesting to think back to White's transfer, as Arsenal offered 30 and then 35 million. Some neutrals were saying 50 was to high, but my take on it then was that if 35 to 40 was fair market value, and we don't want to sell, then the buying club have to pay over the odds. I think the same applies to Cucurella. Fair market value would probably put him in the 30 to 40 million bracket, but we don't want to sell and he's under contract. So if anyone wants him they'll have to pay over the odds. To my mind that puts him around 50 million like White.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Would be quite surprised if we sold him this summer (bearing in mind potential other transfers out, imagine Biss and Trossard at least are far more likely to go given contract lengths), but less so next perhaps. Club have continually stated we don’t need to sell players, so any offers would have to be ridiculous - definitely not something Spurs are prone to doing

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Transfer fees are always hard to guage aren't they? I'd expect we will naturally go to the high end, and opposing teams/fans will go to the lower end. But its interesting to think back to White's transfer, as Arsenal offered 30 and then 35 million. Some neutrals were saying 50 was to high, but my take on it then was that if 35 to 40 was fair market value, and we don't want to sell, then the buying club have to pay over the odds. I think the same applies to Cucurella. Fair market value would probably put him in the 30 to 40 million bracket, but we don't want to sell and he's under contract. So if anyone wants him they'll have to pay over the odds. To my mind that puts him around 50 million like White.
Yeah I agree.

We've spent something like £15m - £17m for players with no PL experience, several of whom weren't quite up to the standard. A young player who is up to it, should be worth a lot more than that. And Cucurella is more than just 'up to it', he's brilliant.

Here's a comparison - which player is better, Wan Bissaka or Cucurella?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FR7GNd9acAEVvKP.jpeg

No me neither, but it looks great.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I think we have Leeds to thank in part for getting £50M for young White. That season running away with the Championship, all the noise generated around him, the Free Ben White campaign - all raised his profile enormously. Had we kept him at Brighton to quietly and gradually work his way into the first team I don't think we'd have got the same amount of money for him.
Cucurella's price? I have no idea!

In part, of course.

In fact, Leeds fans must have added a least a million by voting him our player of the season. The mugs.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think we have Leeds to thank

:ban:

Who is the better player, or has the most potential?
Cucurella or White?

Cucurella, even though both might have the same potential, but when thinking about the price tag you also have to consider the position. AFAIK £50m would mean that Cucurella would be the second most expensive left back (or however you want to label him) of all time just behind scumbag Benjamin Mendy. In comparison, Ben White does make the top ten list for central defenders but there's been a few more CB transfers for around £50m.

"Full/wing back" is not a position clubs are keen on spending too much on. If Cucurella was a striker, winger or central midfielder showing the same class and potential, his price would probably be £60-70m, but as it is, I think around £50m is the best we could hope for.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We don't need to sell him, so we won't.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Better than Andy Robertson !? Dont think so somehow.

Might be better than anything man city have at LB though. Could even be an outside chance of signing for city.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

you've never seen cancelo play?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
:ban:

Cucurella, even though both might have the same potential, but when thinking about the price tag you also have to consider the position. AFAIK £50m would mean that Cucurella would be the second most expensive left back (or however you want to label him) of all time just behind scumbag Benjamin Mendy. In comparison, Ben White does make the top ten list for central defenders but there's been a few more CB transfers for around £50m.

"Full/wing back" is not a position clubs are keen on spending too much on. If Cucurella was a striker, winger or central midfielder showing the same class and potential, his price would probably be £60-70m, but as it is, I think around £50m is the best we could hope for.

Cancelo and Chilwell

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No chance of him going in the summer. If we sold Trossard, Biss and Cucurella relegation would be very possible next season as we won’t replace with similar quality ready to go players.

I’m kinda dreading the summer it can go one of two ways a load of money banked with a few prospects signed ( scary thought ) or keep most core players and add some real quality in the forward areas to get us buzzing for the new season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No chance of him going in the summer. If we sold Trossard, Biss and Cucurella relegation would be very possible next season as we won’t replace with similar quality ready to go players.

I’m kinda dreading the summer it can go one of two ways a load of money banked with a few prospects signed ( scary thought ) or keep most core players and add some real quality in the forward areas to get us buzzing for the new season.

One ‘big’ (money) departure I reckon (probably Biss) plus a few less worrying ones, other than the key loanees coming back I wouldn’t be surprised to see things being pretty quiet.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Spurs aren't buying him. They're never going to pay the money it would take for us to sell him.

Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City and probably Arsenal, yes. Spurs no.

Actually, Chelsea is a no too, isn't it? At least all the while they've got the Abrahamovic thing going on.

So Utd, City or Arsenal.

City already have Cancelo. Would they pay 50million-ish for a back up left back? Possibly.

Arsenal have Tierney. Would they pay 50millionish for a back up? Probably not.

So that leaves Utd. They would pay 50 million for a full back(hello wan bissaka). They'd surely pay it again for a good one this time.

So really, we're realistically looking at Man utd or one of the big European teams.

Factor in that Bissouma is probably off and Trossard could be too I really can't see us selling him this summer.

So we can all relax, vote him player of the season and not worry about him over the summer.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Spurs aren't buying him. They're never going to pay the money it would take for us to sell him.

Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City and probably Arsenal, yes. Spurs no.

Actually, Chelsea is a no too, isn't it? At least all the while they've got the Abrahamovic thing going on.

So Utd, City or Arsenal.

City already have Cancelo. Would they pay 50million-ish for a back up left back? Possibly.

Arsenal have Tierney. Would they pay 50millionish for a back up? Probably not.

So that leaves Utd. They would pay 50 million for a full back(hello wan bissaka). They'd surely pay it again for a good one this time.

So really, we're realistically looking at Man utd or one of the big European teams.

Factor in that Bissouma is probably off and Trossard could be too I really can't see us selling him this summer.

So we can all relax, vote him player of the season and not worry about him over the summer.

Newcastle will be linked with a bid; it’s almost certain. Whether or not there’ll be any substance to the story is another matter, but journalists will see it as an easy transfer speculation story to write on the basis of Ashworth.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Newcastle will be linked with a bid; it’s almost certain. Whether or not there’ll be any substance to the story is another matter, but journalists will see it as an easy transfer speculation story to write on the basis of Ashworth.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'd completely forgotten about Newcastle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here