Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manchester

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Was this post written in 1995 or something? Back then, it was most definitely grim. Now the city centre's been pretty much complelely rejuvenated and a its great city! Loads going on music and festival wise, lots of cool areas like Castlefield, around the Northern Quarter etc.. some great pubs etc.. only thing really is the high crime rate but it is a big city! (well, Greater Manchester).

Do miss the beach though. And more sun. :-(

Have to pretty much agree with that, I live in Castlefield next to the Canal and all the industrial mill buildings are now nice apartments. In the City Centre, The IRA bombing actually done more good than bad in that the whole of Manchester City Center has effectively been rebuilt.

If I rated Manchester, it would be the best place I have lived, the only thing missed in Brighton is the beach and the Home Games!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I went to Manchester University, the early 90s and it's simply the best city apart from London to live and work.
got to disagree there, im from london but have lived in brighton and hove and visited manchester regularly, while manchester and london both have good points, brighton is by far the best city to live and work in.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The City centre, like Leeds, it very good indeed. The suburbs acn leave something to be desired but let's face it Whitehawk doesn't have much going for it either.

apart from being nestled in the downs, having a racecourse at the top, being able to walk to the beach and to town, a football team etc etc etc.

I don't like Reading very much, but used to enjoy the festival.

Or did I visit there ? Can't remember, perhaps it was just something "I heard"

I don't like Reading either and I've lived here for over 20 years sadly.

But manc land can be a bit grim in places, Chorley anyone? Cheetham Hill?

Personally I prefer Stockport, always have done and probably always will :lolol:

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Not sure who booked you into that hotel and why but you were staying in Crumpsall/Cheetham Hill area of North Manchester (about 3 miles north of the city centre). A very strange choice for a one day business trip. The only possible reason I can think you were sent there was to save some money for whoever was paying for your visit. If a first time visitor to Brighton and Hove was placed in a hotel/b&b in Moulsecoomb I'm sure they could draw a similar opinion.

And rather than the 20 minute walk to a pub, he was only a 10 minute metrolink ride from the city centre.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't like Reading either and I've lived here for over 20 years sadly.

But manc land can be a bit grim in places, Chorley anyone? Cheetham Hill?

Personally I prefer Stockport, always have done and probably always will :lolol:

Not much wrong with Reading, re-read what I was replying to....

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I always think that Stockport is the first proper 'northern' town you get to for an awayday, you know what I mean, mills, chimneys and redbrick houses like Blackburn Burnley Halifax etc etc and you are waiting for Morrissey to round the corner on a sit up and beg bike.

The potteries or Crewe dont count, they're just a bit weird.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I used to live in a shared student house in rusholme, Manchester great place to live despite run areas, although it could be dangerous its less threatening than London. Some great bars and clubs, many a great night out at the old ritz student night £1 to get in and a free bottle of holsten pils, bouncing dance floor and a good club round the corner used to be the berlin club. The people are far more friendly than London.I still have many good mates that although from down south have decided to settle in the Manchester areas like chorlton. I would say Manchester is my third best city in England.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I have bounced between Manchester and Brighton twice over the last 7 years and I used to love Manchester, but over the years my feelings have dramitically changed.

The city is very easy on the eye with the mix of old and new builds since the bomb , itsvery nice for shopping, chilling out or generally just spending a lazy sunday afternoon in one of many coffee shops. Nightlife is also good, but not a patch on newcastle.

It will always hold a special place in my heart...but I just see through the stuff I used to see as cool and good.

Unfortunately I want different things in my life now. The weather grinds on me, as it seems to be raining ALL the time....its very grim and I find the people no better. I find people in and around manchester generally rude, abrupt and so so loud. The need to shout everything all the time is not needed.

I am just in the process of trying to get back to sussex and return home..I for one will not be returning for anything other than a lads piss up and to mock northerners for there dead cat eating ways, flat cap wearing and miserable little northern expressions!

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Nowhere is any one thing, it's impossible. Swindon is pretty poor to use that as an example, but even that does have some decent places to go to. I would recommend the Savoy pub to anyone. :thumbsup:

The Savoy is one of the worst Weatherspoons I've been in, even Swindon has another one which is better. You either have shocking taste or or are trying making a joke very few people on the board would get :O

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Only ever been to Manchester twice - Christmas shopping in the City centre, which was good and an overnight trip to Salford - whioch was fantastic.

In Salford I visited the Imperial War museum North, the Lowry, and even went for a walk around Old Trafford - really enjoyed it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to a business conference in Manchester on Saturday, and I was amazed at how grim a place it actually is. We drove up on Friday (loads of traffic and accidents on the motorways meant it took 10 hours to get there!) and drove around the city a little bit, but christ it was grim. And the on friday night the car was broken into! Parked in a hotel carpark... Crazy. The north isn't great to be fair.

The conference was amazing, despite the "we entered a 6 a side tournament, lost a guy to injury and then won the competition with just 5 players" stories, it was brilliant, just so you all know. :thumbsup:

A word of warning, never stay at the Abbey Hotel in Manchester.

I'll say one thing...the Manchester Festival absolutely pisses over the Brighton equivalent. They have real heavyweight acts, performances and commissions. Totally knocks the spots of the amateur stuff we serve up.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Only ever been to Manchester twice - Christmas shopping in the City centre, which was good and an overnight trip to Salford - whioch was fantastic.

In Salford I visited the Imperial War museum North, the Lowry, and even went for a walk around Old Trafford - really enjoyed it.
just to be pedantic, you didnt visit old trafford in salford.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The rest was all a load of :bla: , but this bit made me smile. I claimed the north was rubbish? Really. I didn't like what I saw of Manchester, I didn't like Doncaster either and I wasn't overly impressed by Nottingham either. I liked Crewe though, the train museum is fantastic. I've nothing against the north, certainly don't think it's "rubbish". Most places are rubbish with highlights. :thumbsup:

Now it is coming out.

You do not like Nottingham? Even though this is another city with a decent night life and decent for a pub crawl.

Yet you like Crewe, due to the railway museum. Did you get some good carriage numbers?

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
The weather grinds on me, as it seems to be raining ALL the time....its very grim and I find the people no better. I find people in and around manchester generally rude, abrupt and so so loud. The need to shout everything all the time is not needed.

IMO whereever you go you get a lot of decent friendly people as well as a lot of idiots, but I find it funny when my manc mates try to tell me that mancs/northerners are friendlier than southerners etc... mancs can definitely be very rude and miserable when they want to be. I always find Brighton to be quite a bit more friendly and cheery whenever im back in the area. Maybe its the weather, like you mentioned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here