Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manchester

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I have only been to Manchester once. I went with the usual ethos of 'It's grim oop North', but really enjoyed myself. Plenty of eateries to select from and a lively nightlife. I was refused entry to one place as I was not gay, but found a decent place to sup some ales and drink the night away. Although just one visit, I would not be distraught if I had to relocate there. Certainly seemed nicer than a collection of other cities up that way.

wizo7

Man Met Massive
Dec 17, 2008
Bolney
for the perspective of a student in manchester i think its absolutely class! great nightlife, loads to do and generally a very happening city.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Having moved up here over 20 years ago i can remember Manchester back in the 80's and it was going the same way as Liverpool (Derek Hatton remember him ?) However a new council leader in Graham Stringer saw the city turn its self around,the only way was up. Manchester offers alot the surrounding area has some stunning countryside,leafy villages to rough and raw open spaces. Ninja next don't stay in a hotel. Get out stay for a few days take a look around,you might surprise yourself. :bigwave:

Joe Nobody

Dec 27, 2008
Hove
Manchester, like Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh, London, Brighton is a great city centre to visit on a football day. Sure they all have bandit territory but that is the same everywhere.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Some of the housing estates around manchester are, no doubt, fairly grim. But then judging the whole place based on that it like going to Catford and declaring that London is a "shithole". It just means you've not been to the epicentre.

Even LEEDS city centre is pretty decent these days.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I went to a business conference in Manchester on Saturday, and I was amazed at how grim a place it actually is. We drove up on Friday (loads of traffic and accidents on the motorways meant it took 10 hours to get there!) and drove around the city a little bit, .

Why on earth would anyone drive to Manchester in this day and age when it takes 2 hours 8 mins from London on the train and you can get an advanced ticket quite easily for £11 each way.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I would like to agree with the other sentiments, I went to Manchester last November for a couple of days and really liked it. Great pubs, decent nightlife and exciting new developments.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Could have been worse Ninja, you could have set up a 'is Manchester crap' pole.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Could have been worse Ninja, you could have set up a 'is Manchester crap' pole.

Nowhere is any one thing, it's impossible. Swindon is pretty poor to use that as an example, but even that does have some decent places to go to. I would recommend the Savoy pub to anyone. :thumbsup:
The actual conference I went to was in the Romano (or something like it) hotel, which was actually AMAZING. So there you go, there's a positive.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Lived there for five years during the Madchester era, cracking nightlife and city centre though a number of the suburbs can be pretty hairy for the uninitiated.

In what suburb was your hotel?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well do excuse for me for not agreeing with the gospel as told by Uncle Buck. Obviously, given I was only there a day, I don't consider to have a full understanding as to how good the place is... I can only judge it by what I saw and the facts are that someone broke into our car, and the parts of the city we saw were rubbish. We were staying in a hotel in a suburb, but even so, the nearest pub was 20 minutes away and when we got there, we weren't welcomed. Not a great experience of the place.

Well at least the truth is out. Your stayed in a shit hotel in a suburb and didn't really see the city centre at all, which as it goes in a shining example of how a city centre can be regenerated.

As for the North being rubbish as you claim, you obviously never visited that really either.

I went to Manchester University, the early 90s and it's simply the best city apart from London to live and work.

What actually happened was your employees scrimped on a cheap nasty hotel (of which there are plenty in the South East) and stopped you enjoying one of the best cities for going out not only in the North, but the country.

When you grow up a bit I suggest you revisit the city and report back.

It's a f*cking great city.

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
if i had to agree with anyone I would agree with ninja. I haven't been there but the people I know hate it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
if i had to agree with anyone I would agree with ninja. I haven't been there but the people I know hate it.

Oh well, someone else who thinks they are entitled to an opinion having never really visited the place or lived there.

I think I'll start taking an irrational hatred of California, I'm never been there either.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Oh well, someone else who thinks they are entitled to an opinion having never really visited the place or lived there.

I think I'll start taking an irrational hatred of California, I'm never been there either.

Clapham, what about all the people who do it for London?

"Oh I couldn't stand living in London, it's too busy and dirty and noisy and dangerous. Oh, I've only visited the centre occasionally.."

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
As for the North being rubbish as you claim, you obviously never visited that really either.

The rest was all a load of :bla: , but this bit made me smile. I claimed the north was rubbish? Really. I didn't like what I saw of Manchester, I didn't like Doncaster either and I wasn't overly impressed by Nottingham either. I liked Crewe though, the train museum is fantastic. I've nothing against the north, certainly don't think it's "rubbish". Most places are rubbish with highlights. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here