Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manchester

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Clapham, what about all the people who do it for London?

"Oh I couldn't stand living in London, it's too busy and dirty and noisy and dangerous. Oh, I've only visited the centre occasionally.."

Well if you really want to turn people off London, I guess you could put them up in a hotel in Willsden, ask them to get on tube at Oxford Circus in rush hour, possibly pop out to Leceister Square for a meal.

But then again you walk along the South Bank, or the common or Battersea Park and realise you live in one of the best cities in world.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Well if you really want to turn people off London, I guess you could put them up in a hotel in Willsden, ask them to get on tube at Oxford Circus in rush hour, possibly pop out to Leceister Square for a meal.

But then again you walk along the South Bank, or the common or Battersea Park and realise you live in one of the best cities in world.

Go out for a drink in Leicester Square, admire the shops of Tottenham Court Road and they'll never be back.

Battersea Park far surpasses those duller touristy parks in North London, it feels like a park FOR Londoners, not one full of tourists and gigs.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The rest was all a load of :bla: , but this bit made me smile. I claimed the north was rubbish? Really. I didn't like what I saw of Manchester, I didn't like Doncaster either and I wasn't overly impressed by Nottingham either. I liked Crewe though, the train museum is fantastic. I've nothing against the north, certainly don't think it's "rubbish". Most places are rubbish with highlights. :thumbsup:

You said the North "isn't great to be fair" and going by your fly by visit and subsequent opinion of Manchester, I don't think you opinions of the other places are really worth listening to either.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Go out for a drink in Leicester Square, admire the shops of Tottenham Court Road and they'll never be back.

Battersea Park far surpasses those duller touristy parks in North London, it feels like a park FOR Londoners, not one full of tourists and gigs.

I do like Soho though. Worked round there for years and it still feels like home.

Got back from Brighton last night and thought I go for a wander. The fact that it was Gay Pride has completely bypassed me, and Old Compton street was absolutely buzzing.

"Gay Carnage" as I described it to someone today. Tube were packed and it was very hot, so I got the 88 back which as you know is a great London bus, almost the sight seeing bus route in London.

Was still hot at 1am, so went for a beer in a pub opposite, sat in the beer Garden and read the Sunday papers I had bought as midnight in central London.

Now, working out west I started rediscovering Notting Hill and Portabello road and that's another cracking bit of London for very different reasons.

Reminds me of Brighton in many ways.

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
Was this post written in 1995 or something? Back then, it was most definitely grim. Now the city centre's been pretty much complelely rejuvenated and a its great city! Loads going on music and festival wise, lots of cool areas like Castlefield, around the Northern Quarter etc.. some great pubs etc.. only thing really is the high crime rate but it is a big city! (well, Greater Manchester).

Do miss the beach though. And more sun. :-(

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Was this post written in 1995 or something? Back then, it was most definitely grim. Now the city centre's been pretty much complelely rejuvenated and a its great city! Loads going on music and festival wise, lots of cool areas like Castlefield, around the Northern Quarter etc.. some great pubs etc.. only thing really is the high crime rate but it is a big city! (well, Greater Manchester).

Do miss the beach though. And more sun. :-(

It was cracking in 95 to be honest.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Now, working out west I started rediscovering Notting Hill and Portabello road and that's another cracking bit of London for very different reasons.

Reminds me of Brighton in many ways.

I'm not that well up on West, barring a few pub trips round Notting Hill/Holland Park.

I had a very nice evening out in Greenwich on Friday, another excellent area in South London.

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
Oh well, someone else who thinks they are entitled to an opinion having never really visited the place or lived there.

I think I'll start taking an irrational hatred of California, I'm never been there either.

Did I say I didn't like it? No. I said from what I heard it isn't great. Try Reading what I have put next time.

I dunno some of the utter fucktards who use NSC :nono:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Did I say I didn't like it? No. I said from what I heard it isn't great. Try Reading what I have put next time.

I don't like Reading very much, but used to enjoy the festival.

Or did I visit there ? Can't remember, perhaps it was just something "I heard"

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
I don't like Reading very much, but used to enjoy the festival.

Or did I visit there ? Can't remember, perhaps it was just something "I heard"

I have an oppinion about Manchester at the end of the day. All I said was from what I've heard from peope who have been there is negative. I've never met you but I still have an opponion about you. Your an Utter test :tosser:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I have an oppinion about Manchester at the end of the day. All I said was from what I've heard from peope who have been there is negative. I've never met you but I still have an opponion about you. Your an Utter test :tosser:

Yes, but your opinion is practically worthless because you've never visited the place and got all your information second hand.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I'll print that out and re-arrange the words later.

Cheers.

tomysupercup

North Stand Kollective
Sep 17, 2004
NORTH STAND
Having lived here for the past 9 years I would have to disagree.

Not sure who booked you into that hotel and why but you were staying in Crumpsall/Cheetham Hill area of North Manchester (about 3 miles north of the city centre). A very strange choice for a one day business trip. The only possible reason I can think you were sent there was to save some money for whoever was paying for your visit. If a first time visitor to Brighton and Hove was placed in a hotel/b&b in Moulsecoomb I'm sure they could draw a similar opinion.

As others have already pointed out Manchester has a brilliant selection of pubs/bars and restaurants. Whatever you are into you will be able to find something to please you in Manchester's city centre.

Obviously it doesn't come close to London in terms of the broad spectrum of options but IMHO it is the 'second city' in this regard.

I hope you enjoy your second visit more than your first! If you want some tips of decent places to visit then please PM me.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Living here in Leek,Manchester is pretty close. Visit for a few days. Believe me it is not what the 'press' make it out to be. :thumbsup:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

Your original post was utterly pointless. Why you felt you had to join in in a thread about Manchester, a place you have never been to, is beyond me. And then you complain about other users of NSC? Weird.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The City centre, like Leeds, it very good indeed. The suburbs acn leave something to be desired but let's face it Whitehawk doesn't have much going for it either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here