Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manchester

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I went to a business conference in Manchester on Saturday, and I was amazed at how grim a place it actually is. We drove up on Friday (loads of traffic and accidents on the motorways meant it took 10 hours to get there!) and drove around the city a little bit, but christ it was grim. And the on friday night the car was broken into! Parked in a hotel carpark... Crazy. The north isn't great to be fair.

The conference was amazing, despite the "we entered a 6 a side tournament, lost a guy to injury and then won the competition with just 5 players" stories, it was brilliant, just so you all know. :thumbsup:

A word of warning, never stay at the Abbey Hotel in Manchester.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Always found Manchester OK meself :shrug:

Oh, and the Manchester Evening News has to be the most exciting local paper in the entire world anyime ever. It's all Madchester music stories or ManU/MCFC stories or drive-by shootings stories. Time I was there last, some kiddies shot up the funeral of a kiddie who'd been shot by rivals the week before! Certainly knocks yer typical Argus output WELL into the lower divisions :lol:

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well do excuse for me for not agreeing with the gospel as told by Uncle Buck. Obviously, given I was only there a day, I don't consider to have a full understanding as to how good the place is... I can only judge it by what I saw and the facts are that someone broke into our car, and the parts of the city we saw were rubbish. We were staying in a hotel in a suburb, but even so, the nearest pub was 20 minutes away and when we got there, we weren't welcomed. Not a great experience of the place.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
Manchester is a great city. Many good weekend trips up there for sport and concerts, and I've always had a good time.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
always quite liked manchester and mancs by and large are okay people

I guess having your car done doesn't help :)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You think it's bad now, you should have tried it 30 years ago.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Well do excuse for me for not agreeing with the gospel as told by Uncle Buck. Obviously, given I was only there a day, I don't consider to have a full understanding as to how good the place is... I can only judge it by what I saw and the facts are that someone broke into our car, and the parts of the city we saw were rubbish. We were staying in a hotel in a suburb, but even so, the nearest pub was 20 minutes away and when we got there, we weren't welcomed. Not a great experience of the place.

If you're twenty minutes away from a pub, you couldn't have been in the city centre or in one of the better suburbs - e.g. Didsbury, Chorlton, Alti. Don't judge a city by one part. If I ended up in Moss Side - I wouldn't be too impressed. I love it here - and has everything apart from a good climate and a decent football team!

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
:tosser: :tosser: :tosser: :tosser: :tosser: :tosser: :tosser: :tosser:
300707.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The city centre is excellent. Went up there for work once and stayed at the Piccadilly (I think). Spent the night touring the sports bars, I remember it being a Chumps League night. Ended up in Chinatown where we had a late dinner. Got back to the hotel absolutely smashed out of our tinys, and was SEVERELY hung over for "training" the next day. We were worse than useless.

Hey ho. Cracking city for a night out.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

Just shows that writing the place off after one visit, shows how little grip on reality you have.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Where did I write it off? I didn't, I'm sure I'll end up going back there (another conference is booked in 3 months, so I'll deffinitely be back). I'm sure it'll be nicer... we'll be staying in a different hotel for one thing!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Actually, I will slag it off if I want to because what I saw of it was shit. Fact. So, stop your constant nagging. Have you ever actually been to Manchester? You mention good pubs and venues and the such, but have you actually been there, or are you just assuming. I would expect you to now say you have been, but I won't be suprised if you haven't.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Actually, I will slag it off if I want to because what I saw of it was shit. Fact. So, stop your constant nagging. Have you ever actually been to Manchester? You mention good pubs and venues and the such, but have you actually been there, or are you just assuming. I would expect you to now say you have been, but I won't be suprised if you haven't.

Ah bless.

Just to make you feel better, I have never been out of my front door...

Never been anywhere me.

So how do you get to away games, does the day care sort a coach for you?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

But why did you start a thread tellin everyone somewhere is shit if, when the general concensus seems to suggest you're talking out you're arse, you're going to back down and suggest you can only go by what you've seen. If even you don't think you have the experience of the place to write it off why do we have to listen to you.

I've been to Manchester once and it seemed quite nice - I wouldn't start a thread suggesting it's the UKs best city!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I went to a business conference in Manchester on Saturday, and I was amazed at how grim a place it actually is. We drove up on Friday (loads of traffic and accidents on the motorways meant it took 10 hours to get there!) and drove around the city a little bit, but christ it was grim. And the on friday night the car was broken into! Parked in a hotel carpark... Crazy. The north isn't great to be fair.

The conference was amazing, despite the "we entered a 6 a side tournament, lost a guy to injury and then won the competition with just 5 players" stories, it was brilliant, just so you all know. :thumbsup:

A word of warning, never stay at the Abbey Hotel in Manchester.

Was quite impressed by what I saw of the city centre when I was up there for the Stockport game. Are you f***ing blind or just a c*nt?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here