Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We sat deep first half - we just went forward with pace.

Difference for me 2nd half wasn’t that we sat deep - when we got the ball back we were slow with it trying to get some control, but MU were swarming all over us. We needed to move the ball quicker in possession, I didn’t think the sitting deep was an issue.

Felt the line was higher myself, we’d dropped to the penalty spot in the second half

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The majority of our players could.

Slabhead had his hand on Welbeck’s should for at least 3 strides pulling him back and slowing him down so that he is unable to connect with the ball.

If you think that is part of the game then so be it.

Of course our players would want it.

I’m not saying there wasn’t contact, I just don’t think enough for a foul. If that was given every time you’d have 10 pens a match. Could have gone either way, I personally don’t think it’s one we can feel especially agrieved about though.

Sidwell thinks the same doesn’t he?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Felt the line was higher myself, we’d dropped to the penalty spot in the second half

I don’t think that was a conscious tactical decision, you said ‘we sat too deep’ like we decided to do that. My point was I don’t think we set out to do that at all, but slow movement of the ball and giving up possession repeatedly put us under real pressure forcing us further back than we would have wanted.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Well. I’m absolutely gutted after that result. Some records are there for eternity. Never to be broken. Utd and Chelsea away are fixtures Brighton are incapable absolutely incapable of ever getting a win at. When everyone on this Board is DEAD and their GRANDCHILDREN are also DEAD we will still not have won there. Since 1908, passed 2028 and onto 2108 we still won’t have won there. We are cursed. Just cursed. It must be our clubs DNA. When you see West Brom tear Chelsea a new one like yday you have to wonder just why, why decade after decade after century we just can’t beat em away. Fecking hate football. Really do. Is it too much to ask? Just once? Once in my lifetime? Sake Albion.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Another frustrating result

Bad second half until They equalised . Too deep and wasn’t sticking .

Could of got away with a point

Gave up when AJ came on . How’s he even in the squad . Joke that

Depending on Fulham losing for now

6 points needed still i expect

If we stay up my god i hope we don’t have a repeat of this season . Beyond painful viewing

How are we depending on Fulham losing? They can win their next 2 and will still be below us.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’ve watched it numerous times and I just can’t see it [emoji2369]

I think we’re clutching at straws. I certainly don’t think anyone can confidently say it was definitely a foul?

We’re all all forgetting we’d have missed it anyway which would have hurt even more so really Dean just saved us more heartache!

Fair point, well made.

After the equaliser we'd run out of steam and GP had 2 options, stick with it . . .or go for gold. He stuck with it and we lost.

Personally I'd have gone for gold, we'd have probably lost as well. But at least I would have tried.

Another good performance and encouraging display with nothing to show for it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don’t think that was a conscious tactical decision, you said ‘we sat too deep’ like we decided to do that. My point was I don’t think we set out to do that at all, but slow movement of the ball and giving up possession repeatedly put us under real pressure forcing us further back than we would have wanted.

No we allowed ourself to be pushed back, but sell it any way you like we were too deep in the second half - Potters just said the same.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Have to say I think Rio is one of the best BT pundits. Very interesting comments on us needing to improve “our mentality”.

The equaliser was us all over - just don’t give them that chance, make them carve you open / score a worldy, but don’t gift them a way back in.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Well. I’m absolutely gutted after that result. Some records are there for eternity. Never to be broken. Utd and Chelsea away are fixtures Brighton are incapable absolutely incapable of ever getting a win at. When everyone on this Board is DEAD and their GRANDCHILDREN are also DEAD we will still not have won there. Since 1908, passed 2028 and onto 2108 we still won’t have won there. We are cursed. Just cursed. It must be our clubs DNA. When you see West Brom tear Chelsea a new one like yday you have to wonder just why, why decade after decade after century we just can’t beat em away. Fecking hate football. Really do. Is it too much to ask? Just once? Once in my lifetime? Sake Albion.

Is this West Brom who despite that result yesterday sit 11 points behind us with a GD of - 34 to our - 5? I'll let them have their freak win over Chelsea and move on

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Manchester United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Your old line was we couldn’t beat any of the big teams away from home. Since then we’ve beaten Arsenal and Liverpool at their places. It’ll come soon enough the way we’re progressing. No need to wind yourself up[emoji106]

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
there were two other incidents that highlight the bias - Gross got booked for a tug back (rightly) sometime after Fred 9wrongly) got away with it. White got booked for stopping a throw in by taking the ball away, Shaw threw the ball away from the spot when Brighton were going to take a free kick. Would the penalty have been soft , possibly but soft penalties are given all the time especially to MU.

I’m watching Line of Duty now, moved on from bent refs, to “Bent Coppers”

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m looking forward to next season already

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
Manure operate on a player wages budget 3x ours, they’ve titted around with £1.1b on transfer spending post-Taggart, ours is £220m.

For what? They don’t come anywhere near winning leagues or the CL, they dive a lot, relying on favourable officials and VAR. Just laugh at the scum.

The Albion are on a different journey, operating on relative buttons.

I’m not going to hate Potter tonight for losing to that lot.

But I wish he’d stop playing bloody Jahanbakhsh.
This actually makes me so proud of our team.

Yeah we weren't great in the 2nd half, but we outclassed them for about 60 minutes. Imagine having to rely on dodgy officiating, mediocre football at best, one player to carry the team and some piss poor manager who, let's be honest, wouldn't had got the job if he wasn't a club legend.

Rant over, onto the next one!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Of course our players would want it.

I’m not saying there wasn’t contact, I just don’t think enough for a foul. If that was given every time you’d have 10 pens a match. Could have gone either way, I personally don’t think it’s one we can feel especially agrieved about though.

Sidwell thinks the same doesn’t he?

Its the inconsistant refs and the officials looking at it with VAR that causes the problems.
Many penalties have been given for far less and leading to a red card.
Maybe there was not enough contact to give a penalty, many would say there wasn't but if others have been given for far less then there was more than enough contact tonight.
Rewind 10 years and if a penalty was given people would say the game has gone mad.
It is all the officials not knowing what is or isn't a penalty that is causing the anger.
You can't allow far softer penalties and red cards to be given and not our one tonight.
And that is with VAR giving them the chance to view it many times in slow motion.
So yes, it was a penalty and a red card , if you want consistancy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This actually makes me so proud of our team.

Yeah we weren't great in the 2nd half, but we outclassed them for about 60 minutes. Imagine having to rely on dodgy officiating, mediocre football at best, one player to carry the team and some piss poor manager who, let's be honest, wouldn't had got the job if he wasn't a club legend.

Rant over, onto the next one!

The lesser of two evils for me, I’d rather the even more costly Mansour project win the proper trophies. Anyone but Manure.

I hope now to put this oh so predictable result to bed, and look forward to our next fixtures.

(Also, context: Stains lost 9-0 against The Hobbit’s millionaires).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here