Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

man utd v barcerlona

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't think football is brilliant as it is. Thus my strong opinion on the subject. Seeing the same 4 at the top every year, hundreds of millions spent on players by single teams while other sides go out of business, the widening gap between the big clubs and small clubs. It's not good. It's not a good league system. That should be a fundamental in domestic football. That's the way I see it.

That sounds pretty much exactly the same as how La Liga and Serie A are run. So you can't really go for Barca over United on any of these "principles".

I don't disagree with you for a second by the way. We just need to see that the Prem really isn't uniquely bad at all. It's the norm.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
It's a shame Barcelona have so many players going to miss the game, however, Come On Barca, beat those
Manc TWATS!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
*Ahem* Sorry to interrupt this little love-in boys, but for what it's worth, some of us have disliked Utd since some time before Sky had even been thought of. I've never forgiven Norman Whiteside, Gary Bailey et al for 1983 and don't really give a fig if my intense dislike of that lot, which means that I'm rooting for Barca with all my heart, has no basis in fact or rational debate. I just can't stand them - end of.

Utd however are going to win comfortably so I'm not even going to watch it - I simply can't bear to watch those utter see you next Tuesdays win that competition again.

One last thing I would point out though - this is a CLUB competition. Quite what nationality has to do with it is beyond me, especially these days. Barcelona have French, Argentinian, Spanish and Mexican players in their team for example, and Utd have Portuguese, Argentinian, Bulgarian etc. This is not England v Catalonia, it's two gigantic clubs playing each other, and I happen to harbour a great deal of disdain for one, and no feelings particularly either way for the other. Ergo I want the Catalans to win.

Well that has saved me a lot of time-agree with just about every word there.

Manc 'fans' are the only reason I need to hope they lose-I dislike them even more than Tottenham fans.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
"Man United are partially at fault for the lack of competition, general sanitised nature, completely money-driven game we now have in England." (and the rest of the big 4..)

"I'm supporting a Spanish team because I dislike the English team for what they have done to English football." (cannot solely attribute the blame to man u)

"I'm supporting the Spanish team because I dislike the English team. I dislike the English team because they have been detrimental to domestic English football. Them being detrimental to domestic English football results in less enjoyment for me when watching it." (I honestly think this is a load of bollocks. If you're saying your Albion games have been affected, you are wrong IMO. Premiership-wise, the gulf may be massive, but the standard is incredibly high too)

"I give a f*** about the part they played in forming the Premier League, sucking upto Sky, and not looking out for the English domestic league system or other clubs, just themselves." (Agree with that, but again, a few other clubs are guilty of that)

There you go :thumbsup:

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
There you go :thumbsup:

"Man United are partially at fault for the lack of competition, general sanitised nature, completely money-driven game we now have in England." (and the rest of the big 4... That's why I said PARTIALLY :wozza:)

"I'm supporting a Spanish team because I dislike the English team for what they have done to English football." (cannot solely attribute the blame to man u... Yes I KNOW, how many more times do I have to say it? The point is they played their PART)

"I'm supporting the Spanish team because I dislike the English team. I dislike the English team because they have been detrimental to domestic English football. Them being detrimental to domestic English football results in less enjoyment for me when watching it." (I honestly think this is a load of bollocks. If you're saying your Albion games have been affected, you are wrong IMO. Premiership-wise, the gulf may be massive, but the standard is incredibly high too... I don't just mean Brighton games, I mean my overall enjoyment of watching domestic English football which is worse of for the huge GULF that DOES exist.)

"I give a f*** about the part they played in forming the Premier League, sucking upto Sky, and not looking out for the English domestic league system or other clubs, just themselves." (Agree with that, but again, a few other clubs are guilty of that... Yes I know, HOW MANY MORE TIMES?!)

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
That sounds pretty much exactly the same as how La Liga and Serie A are run. So you can't really go for Barca over United on any of these "principles".

I don't disagree with you for a second by the way. We just need to see that the Prem really isn't uniquely bad at all. It's the norm.

OK, fair enough, I'm not totally clued up on the foriegn leagues or how they are run, so I'll take your word for it. As I said in my first post though(maybe I wasn't clear enough) I'm more interested in what either side has done for English football. And as far as I know, Barcelona haven't done much to have a negative effect on English football.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But this thread is all about Manchester United v Barcelona. You went for Barcelona because of the dominance of United in this country and how bad it is for English football. The dominance of just TWO clubs in Spain goes far deeper and back for far longer than the dominance of the 'big 4' in this country.

4 different teams have won the Spanish title in the past 10 years. This doesnt seem that bad to me?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I like what Barca stand for...so I'm rooting for them.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
That would make them the best CLUB.

I said the best SIDE, as in the 11 players that pull on the United shirt tonight will arguably be the best team we've ever seen.

Arsenal's invincibles are the best club side I've ever seen.

Opinions........

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Another Conboy borefest just like the other 20 before it then.

Because my opinion is different to yours and you have a soft-spot for Man United?

Just because I put forward a case for Man United being partially at fault for the way football is iniquitously run in England?

It's not my fault that people KEPT missing the point for why I dislike them. If you're labelling it as boring because of the amount of times I've had to post as users on here struggled to grasp my perfectly legitimate reasoning, then don't blame me, blame the people who couldn't understand it!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here