Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

man utd v barcerlona

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I just don't understand why you ASSUME the worst of a player that is WELL KNOWN for being a model pro?
Because, to look at it from outside of the rather self-congratulatory and entirely-counterproductive backslapping that can surround England players sometimes, I'd suggest that if he really was such a "model pro" as he's been built up to be, he would have chosen to play for his country when it looked like England could have done with his talent. That's it, just my tuppence worth.

(Honestly, it's like Crodonilson without the irony sometimes...)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Because, to look at it from outside of the rather self-congratulatory and entirely-counterproductive backslapping that can surround England players sometimes, I'd suggest that if he really was such a "model pro" as he's been built up to be, he would have chosen to play for his country when it looked like England could have done with his talent. That's it, just my tuppence worth.

(Honestly, it's like Crodonilson without the irony sometimes...)

I'm not refering to other English players talking him up. I'm refering to a good number of European players and managers.

I don't think Scholes is arrogant enough to think "Aha! My country needs me! Duh-duh-duhhhh!"

*Puts on cape and flies out the room*

I'm just saying that all sources seem to suggest he's a good bloke. So I;m going to give him the benefit of the doubt on the England one.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hey, don't get me wrong: I'm literally all ears as to why he stayed flounced so determinedly, especially at times when - I'm truly sorry to be so very blunt about it and cover up your ears if it hurts - but when I suspect England might just have very much have done with a player of his unquestionable talent. But he did.

Because all this looks in marked contrast, say, to David Beckham who's never behaved as anything other than a model professional amongst model professionals in response either to being dropped or making himself available for his country if or when he's been needed. I know which one I'd admire a whole lot more, personally.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/article465382.ece

According to yet another article Scholes wanted to spend more time with his young family, and also was concerned about his club career. The major tournaments take place in June, and as an asthmatic, he found it difficult to play for 90 minutes during very hot weather.

David Beckham revels in the limelight and fair play to him for that, so playing for England gave him the attention he enjoys. Scholes is exactly the opposite, he is a quiet bloke, has turned down many endorsements as prefers family life to being the centre of attention, and therefore being away with England for 2-3 weeks most summers locked in a hotel with people he had little in common with was not enjoyable.

He was also played out of position on the left, which resulted in him delivering performances he was unhappy with, and he felt he was lettting the side down.

His retirement was hardly a flounce, just a brief statement, no digs at anyone.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Zinadine Zidan rated Scholes the best player on the planet 8 years ago. Mind you what does he know compared to the that little plump soccerball expert ...... Man of Harveys.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here