Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

man utd v barcerlona

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is it dignified and the right way to play to start scything people down just because you're losing, as Ronaldo and Paul Scholes were doing in the last 10 minutes?

And, as has been mentioned, the fact that Fergie didn't whine like a childish little twat afterwards shouldn't really be that noteworthy; the fact that it is speaks volumes about his usual levels of gamesmanship.

Paul Scholes always tackles like that. No malice, just dreadful at tackling, always has been.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Paul Scholes always tackles like that. No malice, just dreadful at tackling, always has been.

So the two inch hole in Hakan Mild's leg n the international a few years bag wasn't malicious?

Bollocks - it's a convenient excuse.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Is it dignified and the right way to play to start scything people down just because you're losing, as Ronaldo and Paul Scholes were doing in the last 10 minutes?

And, as has been mentioned, the fact that Fergie didn't whine like a childish little twat afterwards shouldn't really be that noteworthy; the fact that it is speaks volumes about his usual levels of gamesmanship.

The are not the Corinthian Casuals. I think that Puyol was simply a bit too clever for Ronaldo. He was barely touched by Ronaldo in the first incident but stayed down and writhing. But what could Ronaldo do ?

As for Scholes that was a terrible tackle. There are no excuses. But pretty small beer in the circumstances.

I agree about Ferguson - but credit where credit is due. And he showed a bit of dignity last night.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
As for Scholes that was a terrible tackle. There are no excuses. But pretty small beer in the circumstances.
True, but only because he didn't get sent off for it, which he almost certainly should have been. And it would have post-match Gold Label barley wine-strength moaning from him/Fergie/Tyldlesly/Sheringham etc etc if he had. No excuses and he's got away with stuff like that loads of times before.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And he is one of the best English players?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Scholes' tackle was awful, late and dangerous and should've been red.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
United may have lost but it was with a bit of dignity.

They are still Champions. And they still play football the right way.

But Barcelona play it more the right way.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With the ball at HIS feet, yes.
With the ball at someone elses, most certainly not.

...does that make him an average player then? Or an overrated player?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Scholesy was just doing what some of the other midfielders should have been doing all game. Barca are always going to play brilliant football until you stick a couple of dirty tackles in, I can't believe United didn't employ a destroyer.

Puyol is a f***ing prick isn't he? God, I'd hate to have to watch that tosser every week.

All in all a rather annoying match to watch as somehow that wanted United to win, they just didn't get the tactics right.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think I have said this before about Fergie but, I don't know many heads of companies who pick and choose which media organisations they talk to without beiong sanctioned by the board of directors. His default position is of unmitigated arrogance.
Couldn't agree more. Calling out journo's for asking a "stupid" question when the hack had simply asked whether Ferguson would consider retiring. And how much do the BBC pay for terrestrial Premiership rights? Clearly not enough for Ferguson to feel he needs to talk to them because of some silly spat about a decade ago.

Ferguson strikes me as a petulant twat to be honest.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So the two inch hole in Hakan Mild's leg n the international a few years bag wasn't malicious?

Bollocks - it's a convenient excuse.

Guessing you've missed the countless interviews with other pro footballers, pretty much always saying that Paul Scholes is the consummate professional, and a very likeable bloke, not a malicious bone etc.

And it's common knowledge that the man cannot tackle. It's pretty much the only thing he can't do.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Scholesy was just doing what some of the other midfielders should have been doing all game. Barca are always going to play brilliant football until you stick a couple of dirty tackles in, I can't believe United didn't employ a destroyer.

Puyol is a f***ing prick isn't he? God, I'd hate to have to watch that tosser every week.

All in all a rather annoying match to watch as somehow that wanted United to win, they just didn't get the tactics right.

They sorely missed Hargreaves. A real destroyer alongside Carrick, would've been a fantastic game then.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
...does that make him an average player then? Or an overrated player?

Take off your anti-English glasses for a sec. A lot of top pros (from whichever country) rate Scholes very highly.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Last night showed up the Premier League to be a house of straw. United were deserved champions, but they played last night with a midfield of Giggs, Park, Carrick and Anderson. Limited in pace, technique and imagination. Vidic is a very good defender against good strikers, but against exceptional ones, such as Torres and Et'oo, he has been shown up this season. Van Der Saar and the post stopped the result being a rout.

Liverpool finished second last season and they are a two man (albeit two very good men) team, Chelsea have run out of cash, are ageing and have no pace, and Arsenal lack backbone when the chips are down. As for the rest of the Prem, paying £70,000-85,000 a week to journeymen like Lucas Neill of West Ham and Wayne Bridge in an indication of the collective madness that has overcome boardrooms up and down the country.

Barcelona were deserved champions last night, in spite of a wobbly defence, and for me the final word goes to Puyol "We dedicate it to our people, who have fought and suffered the same as we have." Theirs is not a football club, it is a symbol of the people, and for that reason I salute them.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Take off your anti-English glasses for a sec. A lot of top pros (from whichever country) rate Scholes very highly.
No offence but I reckon your fairly one-eyed defence of a dirty little runt of a player - and a player who totally chickened out of playing for his country - sounds at least as slanted, to be blunt.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No offence but I reckon your fairly one-eyed defence of a dirty little runt of a player - and a player who totally chickened out of playing for his country - sounds at least as slanted, to be blunt.

Scholes a dirty little runt? Again, I'm going on the words of other top European players and managers, not my own (or your) judgement.

Chicken out? Do you know the exact reasons for his international retirement? We know Carragher's, and I can't stand that bloke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here