Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

man utd v barcerlona

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
They're not "my boys." I'll support an english side in europe when they have a good whack of english talent in their line-up, and I don't see your problem with that. But if they were "my boys" I'd actually give a shit that they lost.

:lolol: I was just thinking back to your "Salute your heroes" thread a while back when the scum beat somebody.

I'm saluting my heroes tonight, Messi, Henry, Iniesta, I owe you all a good drink!!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
What?

I said I tend to support english teams in Europe, particularly United who play with a flair and fluency that is a joy to watch. What has that got to do with 1983 or my support of Brighton and Hove Albion?

quick history lesson mate if the albion had won the fa cup in 1983 their opponents in the cup winner cup would have been barcelona- at the goldstone

what! nothing.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
They're not "my boys." I'll support an english side in europe when they have a good whack of english talent in their line-up, and I don't see your problem with that. But if they were "my boys" I'd actually give a shit that they lost.

Exactly.

Disappointed they lost but Barca were excellent.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Well I was born in 1987 so forgive my ignorance of the finer details please!

In answer to the question though, I'd clearly have supported us.

1) Because I am a Brighton fan.
2) Even if I wasn't, I'd still want the english team to win.

well like i said read up on it. there are plently of people in the town who know how close it came to barcelona gracing the goldstone. thats why we find its funny when peopl say a) bully for man u and b) boo for barcelona

i remember that the barcelona business was one of the biggest cup final hangovers in the town after the event, worse than relegation or losing the cup final. correct me if i am wrong though.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Quite. Barca are my favourite foreign side anyway so I was never TOO bothered about tonight, but the fact Barca were so sublime really means even the most ardent United fan (let alone an albion one) can't argue with the result. Barcelona were an absolutel PRIVILEGE to watch tonight, and in Iniesta and Xavi have two seriously underrated world-class players.

Are they really though?

Overshadowed - yes.
Underrated - not sure about that.

In the same way Rooney (striker Rooney that is) is rarely mentioned anymore because they keep barking on about Ronaldo, Torres overshadows those two for Spain, and Messi for Barcelona.

I guess the press have their favourites.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Of course they're underatted...in England because it's all about wanking over the best team in the world, you know that Manchester United team that the press, the fans and uncle tom cobbly and all can't stop banging on about. There was even a thread on here, bounced tonight, about how shit the Spanish league is because Barcelona had scored 140 odd goals . Maybe the thread starter understands why now:lol:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I think that's just ITV who bang on about certain players. They seem to have to turn every football match into a celebrity arena and there are some players they just love. Ronaldo, Torres and Messi being the main ones. Watch a game with any of those in and they'll spend 90 minutes wanking furiously over them.

I'm just saying that generally you don't hear a lot about some of Barca's other players and they don't really make it onto most people's lists of top world players. But Iniesta is definitely one, and they have a couple more too.

the answer to that is don't watch football on ITV they have a tough time acknowledging the fact other leagues exist let alone better players and teams play in them. Xavi was the player of Euro 2008 and makes Barca tick

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I think that's just ITV who bang on about certain players. They seem to have to turn every football match into a celebrity arena and there are some players they just love. Ronaldo, Torres and Messi being the main ones. Watch a game with any of those in and they'll spend 90 minutes wanking furiously over them.

I'm just saying that generally you don't hear a lot about some of Barca's other players and they don't really make it onto most people's lists of top world players. But Iniesta is definitely one, and they have a couple more too.

I've watched quite a bit of Spanish football this season and I will make this bold statement: Andres Iniesta is the best player in the world.

I think after today's game that might actually be considered more credible.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
the answer to that is don't watch football on ITV they have a tough time acknowledging the fact other leagues exist let alone better players and teams play in them. Xavi was the player of Euro 2008 and makes Barca tick

Sky are not much better. Although they may give Messi some credit now - he scored against an English club so must be good now.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've watched quite a bit of Spanish football this season and I will make this bold statement: Andres Iniesta is the best player in the world.

I think after today's game that might actually be considered more credible.

For what it's worth, Rooney agrees with you:

"Barcelona are a brilliant team. Andres Iniesta is the best player in the world in my opinion."

Oh how i enjoyed last night :whisky:

How many people will still be wiping the egg off their faces this morning? :laugh:
According to the press it wasn't even worthwhile Barca turning up last night. As the best team in the world from the best league in the world were gonna walk all over them :salute:

Superior in every position they said :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Utd got shat on from a very great height last night, and maybe now people can stop creaming themselves over Utd and particularily ronaldo!!

And what made it even better is that Barca won it at a cruise with a weakened team :bounce:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
United may have lost but it was with a bit of dignity.

They are still Champions. And they still play football the right way.

Is it dignified and the right way to play to start scything people down just because you're losing, as Ronaldo and Paul Scholes were doing in the last 10 minutes?

And, as has been mentioned, the fact that Fergie didn't whine like a childish little twat afterwards shouldn't really be that noteworthy; the fact that it is speaks volumes about his usual levels of gamesmanship.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Is it dignified and the right way to play to start scything people down just because you're losing, as Ronaldo and Paul Scholes were doing in the last 10 minutes?

And, as has been mentioned, the fact that Fergie didn't whine like a childish little twat afterwards shouldn't really be that noteworthy; the fact that it is speaks volumes about his usual levels of gamesmanship.

It is possible to be dignified in defeat but its a trick Utd. have never learned, I expect this occasion to be a one-off mostly due to the shock factor that they suffered.

I think I have said this before about Fergie but, I don't know many heads of companies who pick and choose which media organisations they talk to without beiong sanctioned by the board of directors. His default position is of unmitigated arrogance.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
The thing that grates me is the presumption by the television companies. The particular phrase that really wound me up was

"Its the final everyone wants to see"

No it wasnt. The champions League final I want to see is Swindon town V oxford united. why the hell do i give a flying f*** about Man u and barca?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here