Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man bags - YES or NO??!!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Doesn't surprise me one bit with the amount of muppets on this board.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
What Brovian said.

Except - since I now carry a laptop around with for work - the laptop bag has replaced by briefcase and I am a tad concerned it may look a little like a man bag ........................

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure I could go as far as a strapless bag - to me if just looks like a toiletry bag tucked under one's arm.

A bag with a shoulder strap, however - no problemo.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Rucksack to carry files and laptop to work on the train. Is that acceptable or am I "psuedo-blah blah- trendy" as well?

FFS - it's just a bag. It makes it easier to carry stuff.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think there's a simple series of questions you can ask yourself:
Do you feel threatened by people more alpha male than you?
Do you have a latent fear of the slightest trivial thing tipping you into the*gayer camp?
Are you that much of a peasant that you think a smart satchel-type leather holdall somehow diminishes your manhood?
Does the thought of a bunch of neanderthal evolutionary throwbacks grunting in your direction and mocking your appearance really bother you?
Is the nearest you're likely to get to having a laptop shaped thing actually*a takeaway pizza box?
If the answer's yes to any of those, then don't get a manbag. Otherwise, as a wise man once said on this thread, it's an essential accessory for today's metrosexual.
I have several manbags.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think there's a simple series of questions you can ask yourself:
Do you feel threatened by people more alpha male than you?
Do you have a latent fear of the slightest trivial thing tipping you into the*gayer camp?
Are you that much of a peasant that you think a smart satchel-type leather holdall somehow diminishes your manhood?
Does the thought of a bunch of neanderthal evolutionary throwbacks grunting in your direction and mocking your appearance really bother you?
Is the nearest you're likely to get to having a laptop shaped thing actually*a takeaway pizza box?
If the answer's yes to any of those, then don't get a manbag. Otherwise, as a wise man once said on this thread, it's an essential accessory for today's metrosexual.
I have several manbags.

Manbags = CLOSET gayer. FACT.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
See, inadvertantly you have hit on the point. Making it easier to carry things should not really be a concern when we are talking about ipods and newspapers, not 40kg bags of cement.

Well said that man! All this ooh look at me with all my gadgets and stuff.

Nope a briefcase as others have said is quite adequate. And smart too.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Won't work I'm afraid as the girls are already discussing colors and makes ("Ooh ooh I've got Prada!", "Well mine's Ralph Loren!").

I am ashamed, deeply, deeply ashamed to find that there are 'men' on here on who think that a handbag is a modern male necessity. A briefcase is quite sufficient for work and generations of men have managed to carry wallets and keys (and nowadays mobile phones) around in things called 'pockets'. f***'s sake wake up and realise how STUPID you look, you're just a load of bloody sheep .

PS - To all the real blokes on here: you are legally allowed to PUNCH any 'man' with a handbag and tip the contents into the gutter. They won't hit you back because they'll be too busy blubbing about how beastly you are whilst scrabbling around in the gutter retreiving their Harry Potter books and spare ties.

The Messiah.:bowdown::bowdown:

:lolol:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
What amazes me is that no one in your social circle pulls you up on these bags in real life. Its fair enough to confess on a message board, but what happens when you get down the pub?

Different world.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think it a matter of where. When I was 18 (1975) a mate went to Italy and came back with a man-bag. It was leather - and carried. in your hand. What looked ok on the streets of Milan did not look quite the same on the mean streets of Brighton town (or anywhere else then).

In central London - I should think a man-bag like that would not now look out of place. I don't know what you do at the end of the day when you go back to your gaff in Harlesden or Peckham. Tuck it in your jacket perhaps.

Like Mohammed Bozza - I tend to think these days that anything with a shoulder strap is ok now anyway.

What amazes me is that no one in your social circle pulls you up on these bags in real life. Its fair enough to confess on a message board, but what happens when you get down the pub?

Different world.

A friend of mine turned up with a little number, and I didn't let him off about it.
Friends don't let friends look like mincers. :safeway2: punish:

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can quite safely say that if me or any of my mates turned up in the pub sporting a manbag, the offender would have the piss ripped out of him RELENTLESSLY and MERCILESSly for the duration of the evening. This would of course eventually lead to an enormous dramatic huffy FLOUNCE by the manbagger, who would no doubt go mincing off down the road to top up on his supply of cottonbuds and moisturiser, stopping only to untether his pink poodle "Coochy-Coo" from a nearby lamp post.

Mobile. Wallet. Keys. Ipod. All easily pocketable. Other than perhaps a laptop for work (for which a carrycase is of course fully justified), these are the ONLY items required when leaving the house.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
A friend of mine turned up with a little number, and I didn't let him off about it.
Friends don't let friends look like mincers. :safeway2: punish:

Unless of course they ARE a mincer.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here