Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
From what I’ve read, all the Teacher Unions are uniting on this and opposing the government’s phased returns. It also seems like they have huge support from both teachers and parents.

This could get messy.

I don't know if its as clear cut as that. I'm a parent and my partner is an early years teacher.

On both the parents whatsapp group and the school teachers group the majority are in support of bringing the kids back on 1st June. The teachers group overwhelmingly so.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I don't know if its as clear cut as that. I'm a parent and my partner is an early years teacher.

On both the parents whatsapp group and the school teachers group the majority are in support of bringing the kids back on 1st June. The teachers group overwhelmingly so.

Interesting.

The NEU said 85% of 49,000 members disagree with the proposed June 1st plan.

Out of interest is your partner ready to return under the changes?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I am surprised by that. The consensus amongst teachers that I know is clearly against the governments idea. There has not been consultation with the various unions and it is bewildering as to the govt choice for the early years return and all the difficulty in keeping safe whilst working with them. Many parents that I know have also voiced misgivings, quite a few saying that their kids will not return whatever happens before September.

Personally I want to return to work, but am unconvinced by the government's actions particularly regarding Rec/Y1. Year 6 in smaller groups is doable imo as they are old enough to socially distance with reminders etc. However what the govt thought about early years and distancing is a mystery, they are the worst two years to re-introduce early. Rebecca Long-Bailey was spot on questioning the Education Secretary, and made a great point that the plan to bring a system in for those 3 years for just two weeks, given that the govt wants all primary school children back for a month before schools break up, is just ridiculous. Especially as all the careful measures would be in place one week but almost gone once everyone is back.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I am surprised by that. The consensus amongst teachers that I know is clearly against the governments idea. There has not been consultation with the various unions and it is bewildering as to the govt choice for the early years return and all the difficulty in keeping safe whilst working with them. Many parents that I know have also voiced misgivings, quite a few saying that their kids will not return whatever happens before September.

Personally I want to return to work, but am unconvinced by the government's actions particularly regarding Rec/Y1. Year 6 in smaller groups is doable imo as they are old enough to socially distance with reminders etc. However what the govt thought about early years and distancing is a mystery, they are the worst two years to re-introduce early. Rebecca Long-Bailey was spot on questioning the Education Secretary, and made a great point that the plan to bring a system in for those 3 years for just two weeks, given that the govt wants all primary school children back for a month before schools break up, is just ridiculous. Especially as all the careful measures would be in place one week but almost gone once everyone is back.

Yeah. I work in education and every teacher, TA and school leader I've spoken to has mentioned how hard it is now and is fearful of 1 June.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Death rate recently does suggest things are improving in England quicker than in Scotland and Wales - if you compare Population sizes, Scotland's toll today would be the equivalent to around 682 deaths in England, by my hasty off-the-top-of-my-head maths.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
So you have 100% faith in the figures that some countries are providing...

It seems at times in our need to be transparent with the information, that we are being more than...

Now we are just manipulating the truth with regards number of tests carried out...

do you trust our figures?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
3. The increased demands on some professions (mostly teachers it seems) to go back to work even when the risks are still there
[TWEET]1260307066578755585[/TWEET]

he's right though. risk is something you assess and mitigate, not ignore and wait to go away. the policy is to reopen for 1/3 the primary years, if we continue to see infection drop. union response is to shout its "reckless" and to refuse cooperation? i hope most teachers will be more pragmatic, balancing concerns of covid with children's progress, especially for year 6.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This was highlighted by [MENTION=11722]Jimmy[/MENTION] Grumble on another thread. About as close to a true comparison as we're going to get.

EX0_jVIWAAEiKvU.jpeg

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
he's right though. risk is something you assess and mitigate, not ignore and wait to go away. the policy is to reopen for 1/3 the primary years, if we continue to see infection drop. union response is to shout its "reckless" and to refuse cooperation? i hope most teachers will be more pragmatic, balancing concerns of covid with children's progress, especially for year 6.

Unions (including headteachers’ unions) have had no dialogue with Williamson’s plan. He has not consulted them at any point despite being written to several times.

Is it unsurprising that he is deemed reckless when he is not willing to work with those who are in a far better position to judge than him? Added to the fact he has not shown any of the evidence he purports is there to prove his plan is safe.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Yes.

The UK reveal all deaths with covid19, which is inherently more comprehensive than the deaths specifically due to covid19 followed by some other nations, in all settings. The data’s sourced from hospital administrators, and from death certificates signed off by doctors, with no opportunity for a politician to get involved. Collated by civil servant statisticians and public health civil servants.

There are two other aspects - there’s a delay in collating non-hospital deaths, as there with every other country. It’s been a big question throughout as to whether Italy and Spain were able to collect care home death numbers, their own analysts and some local officials say not, hugely under recording.

Then it’s agreed that excess total deaths, based on an agreed formula across the world, will eventually give higher figures for all countries including the UK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here