Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This was highlighted by [MENTION=11722]Jimmy[/MENTION] Grumble on another thread. About as close to a true comparison as we're going to get.

View attachment 123556

That’s THE key data, but it’s well out of date for Italy for example, where even the Italian government are showing 31,000 hospital covid deaths alone. The 50,000 UK figure was calculated this week.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Both Spain and Italy have admitted their death tolls are likely much higher than currently reported, the constant narrative going on that we are the worst hit and the fact the press seem to be absolutely obsessed by this when countries have admitted the way they record deaths is different, unreliable and that true numbers will never be known but I feel like the press have an agenda behind all this.

That’s about as political as it gets from me, as someone who has no political preference I simply look at how unprecedented this situation is, and our infrastructure here was not ready for a pandemic that much is obvious but we are by no means alone on this and it’s very easy to let a political agenda make you think this would have been any different with anyone else in charge.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Both Spain and Italy have admitted their death tolls are likely much higher than currently reported, the constant narrative going on that we are the worst hit and the fact the press seem to be absolutely obsessed by this when countries have admitted the way they record deaths is different, unreliable and that true numbers will never be known but I feel like the press have an agenda behind all this.

That’s about as political as it gets from me, as someone who has no political preference I simply look at how unprecedented this situation is, and our infrastructure here was not ready for a pandemic that much is obvious but we are by no means alone on this and it’s very easy to let a political agenda make you think this would have been any different with anyone else in charge.

It’s also very easy to see just in plain sight that it could easily have been different with someone else in charge though, isn’t it?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It’s also very easy to see just in plain sight that it could easily have been different with someone else in charge though, isn’t it?

I guess labour would have magicked up 500k per day testing capacity :rolleyes: This thread is going down the political route again - there is a specific thread for the political response/Boris so I’m not going to get into a debate about it, like I said I have no interest in politics. I see crisis all over Europe and we are no different.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I disagree. Wishful thinking. It is unlikely that given our minds were on Brexit for far too long and then with a december election, how any new govt only a few months into its term, would have improved things. As much as I did not like Corbyn (I like Starmer), I would not blame him at this moment if things were as they are now. It is far too early to properly judge the incumbent lot, but when the true figures are known worldwide, we will be in a position to clearly see what the failings were, how they could have responded better and thirdly if we want to provoke action against those in charge.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
I guess labour would have magicked up 500k per day testing capacity :rolleyes: This thread is going down the political route again - there is a specific thread for the political response/Boris so I’m not going to get into a debate about it, like I said I have no interest in politics. I see crisis all over Europe and we are no different.

You’re making it political. With sarcastic comments to boot - if anyone’s political agenda is coming through it’s yours. If you have no political interest, don’t make any political comments. [emoji2369]

Who would have made it different, and in what way?

I don’t know. My point was anyone else would have handled it differently because every individual is different. Hopefully who ever it was would have read the reports the government had about our preparedness for a pandemic better. At a bare minimum they wouldn’t have gone round shaking hands with coronavirus patients.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
I disagree. Wishful thinking. It is unlikely that given our minds were on Brexit for far too long and then with a december election, how any new govt only a few months into its term, would have improved things. As much as I did not like Corbyn (I like Starmer), I would not blame him at this moment if things were as they are now. It is far too early to properly judge the incumbent lot, but when the true figures are known worldwide, we will be in a position to clearly see what the failings were, how they could have responded better and thirdly if we want to provoke action against those in charge.

I said different - not necessarily better. Like you’ve pointed out, we can’t be 100% certain on that yet.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

If Corbyn had won the election then we would have been in the same territory as after the 2010 election and the 'sorry, we spent all the money' letter. Labour would have done absolutely nothing more but would have been telling us about the state the Tories left everything in and that this is all their fault. They would have almost certainly been a lot more open about the lack of PPE, test kits, contact tracing, etc. as they would have pointed the finger straight at the previous government and said 'it's all their fault'.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You’re making it political. With sarcastic comments to boot - if anyone’s political agenda is coming through it’s yours. If you have no political interest, don’t make any political comments. [emoji2369]

I don’t know. My point was anyone else would have handled it differently because every individual is different. Hopefully who ever it was would have read the reports the government had about our preparedness for a pandemic better. At a bare minimum they wouldn’t have gone round shaking hands with coronavirus patients.

Your posts are political, usually with an angle.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Your posts are political, usually with an angle.

If you think so. By all means call me out on it next time. I understand it’s very easy to perceive a lot of posts as political on this topic given its nature. The difference is I’ve never proclaimed to be not making something political while making a post about it that could be perceived as such.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Woman on the radio this morning was told to send her kid back to school due to loosening of rules, and told to go back to work (where she comes into contact with people in high risk groups). Her daughter has noe been sent home again because there is a case of Covid in the school. Mum called 101 for advice and was told she had to stay at work. Expert on radio said this is not current government advice, and that she should phone 101 again and demand a test. He then said it would probably be some time before she got a test. So she has to bring someone in to look after her kid (who may well have Covid) and meanwhile go to work where she may well spread Covid to vulnerable people. Correct me if I'm wrong but....we don't seem to know what we're doing.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Woman on the radio this morning was told to send her kid back to school due to loosening of rules, and told to go back to work (where she comes into contact with people in high risk groups). Her daughter has noe been sent home again because there is a case of Covid in the school. Mum called 101 for advice and was told she had to stay at work. Expert on radio said this is not current government advice, and that she should phone 101 again and demand a test. He then said it would probably be some time before she got a test. So she has to bring someone in to look after her kid (who may well have Covid) and meanwhile go to work where she may well spread Covid to vulnerable people. Correct me if I'm wrong but....we don't seem to know what we're doing.

Correct, we've not got a clue.

I can't see why we've even had a lockdown at all. Now that we've eased restictions without a plan, we will be in the same position in 2 weeks time,that we were in at the end of March. What was the point in the first semi lockdown, if we are just going to waste the progress it made by easing too early and without a proper plan in place? Madness!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Correct, we've not got a clue.

I can't see why we've even had a lockdown at all. Now that we've eased restictions without a plan, we will be in the same position in 2 weeks time,that we were in at the end of March. What was the point in the first semi lockdown, if we are just going to waste the progress it made by easing too early and without a proper plan in place? Madness!
I fear you are right.

The Government have decided to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice so far.

Wave 2 on the horizon and closing in fast.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
What a cheery thread, Jesus. There’s no evidence a wave 2 even exists, even Spanish flu which had a second wave, the second wave was after months not a few weeks after the main wave and this was without any kind of measures or lockdown. As long as vulnerable people are being shielded why is there such a climate of fear? ONS stats from last week show only 30 people under 40 with no ‘diagnosed’ underlying issue have died.

There has been no big rise or second wave in any country yet.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

That sounds fishy as no-one has been sending kids to school unless they are disadvantaged or kids of key workers. This kind of situation (depending on Unions etc) will only exist from June 1st at earliest. Boris said the other day that having to care for a child was a reason not to go to work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here