Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
We wait with baited breath what the COBRA meeting brings. We have a CV business planning meeting at 5 so I hope they've communicated by then. If they continue to let schools stay open much longer when all around us take the opposite approach I see this turning very badly on Boris as will be perceived as pretty much saying happy to let it spread and go on about your business and take your chances. A nurse I know has said that children are really the biggest issue as they are pretty much silent spreaders. Very mild effects but heavily contagious. The longer the schools are open the longer the government is deciding it wants the spread to continue.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
They'll wait until Easter to close schools, that way there's less worker's taking time off work .

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It is based on expert medical advice... according to Nicola Sturgeon.

She is going against expert medical advice and imposing a ban on mass public gatherings in Scotland.

Which I read report on, it said advice stated that as kids are not at great risk from the virus there's no point to close schools.....but that's utter bollox, schools will be a main medium by which this rapidly spreads via kids into parents/grandparents. Great that little Johnny will be fine, to bad granny and grandad had to take it on the chin.

Have to feel for Ireland, France, Italy, Spain, Denmark, Czech Republic and numerous others for having such rubbish experts?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Just had the email from head office to work from home until further notice. Best go loo roll shopping now.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
We wait with baited breath what the COBRA meeting brings. We have a CV business planning meeting at 5 so I hope they've communicated by then. If they continue to let schools stay open much longer when all around us take the opposite approach I see this turning very badly on Boris as will be perceived as pretty much saying happy to let it spread and go on about your business and take your chances. A nurse I know has said that children are really the biggest issue as they are pretty much silent spreaders. Very mild effects but heavily contagious. The longer the schools are open the longer the government is deciding it wants the spread to continue.

Seems at the moment they care more about the financial hit than controlling the spread of it

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Which I read report on, it said advice stated that as kids are not at great risk from the virus there's no point to close schools....

I think one of the arguments for keeping the schools open, is that the care and health systems couldn't cope with losing a load of staff, in the event of school closures meaning they had to miss work to look after their kids.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Donald Trump unusually quiet on Twitter today....

The Brazilian government’s communications secretary, Fabio Wajngarten, has tested positive for coronavirus.

He was part of the entourage of President Jair Bolsonaro during his visit to the US, where he met President Donald Trump and Vice-President Mike Pence.

Mr Wajngarten posted a picture of the meeting where he is seen standing next to Mr Trump in Florida on his Instagram page on Saturday.

Brazilian media report Mr Bolsonaro is being monitored for symptoms.

Meanwhile Mr Trump has said he is not concerned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/wor...6a525d8d956f0669ae4469&pinned_post_type=share

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think one of the arguments for keeping the schools open, is that the care and health systems couldn't cope with losing a load of staff, in the event of school closures meaning they had to miss work to look after their kids.

I get that, but that's a small section of society, would be at least good to have the option. Adults are allowed to make decision to work from home, kids arent. Mrs not working, would take them out in a flash, as I guess would many if it were an option other than fake sickness or just non attendance.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

Sorry. Have I missed the fact that they are not closing schools yet?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Nicola Sturgeon advises schools in Scotland to postpone trips abroad.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Just been reading about the hit to the 'hospitality' industry in this country, that's the problem with relying on people being well and out and about. They've said yesterdays measures are nowhere near enough to keep them going , the same with the travel/holiday industry there are going to be a hell of a lot of staff laid off and £94 or UC is not going to keep people fed and mortgages/rent paid

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here