Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It turns out he went to Kettering Hospital where there are no coronavirus patients. He just can't help himself lying all the time.

[tweet]1234877746020593664[/tweet]

Its like he has a mental illness, lies when he doesn't even needed to and make himself look like a d**k in the process. God help us...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It turns out he went to Kettering Hospital where there are no coronavirus patients. He just can't help himself lying all the time.

[tweet]1234877746020593664[/tweet]

Should we be surprised ?

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
For the "it's just the flu" crowd, have you considered that hundreds of millions of people receive the flu vaccine each year vs the zero people that are vaccinated or have any natural immunity against corona because it's a new virus? That's before you take into account the new corona virus being much more contagious.

That plus the head of the WHO in their press conference today discussed a 3.4% death rate based on updated world figures, which would make it 34 times more deadly than the flu, in addition to all the many posts already here about the liklihood of health services being overwhelmed, etc, etc

Not panicking by any means but the "it's just the flu" line is very clearly incorrect on just about every front.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
That isn't true. I've posted this before but in December 67 I had a very bad bout of flu where I was unconscious for three days. I was serving in the Navy, and admitted to sick bay.
I shared a mess which was about the size of a living room, with six other girls. We had 4 bunk beds. None of the other six caught it.

On average for the population, with respect that’s a rather small sample

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Deadly Chinese Wuhan virus - Covid-19

Yes. Over a month ago, a superpreader arrived back in Brighton, had contact with a whole surgery in Hollingbury, which closed down.
Several hundred more have arrived back in the UK since then.

Over a month and we still only have 35 cases in the UK.

I think the confined cases is 51 in the U.K. now.

Regardless, the number of cases outside China Is currently growing exponentially. And that is known cases.

Given people can have this for 1-2 weeks without showing symptoms, yet still pass it on to others, it is likely that the number of actual cases in the U.K. is currently many multiples of what we are aware of.

In Washington, researchers now suspect it has been circulating there, unknown, for some weeks. Six deaths and counting there I believe.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Regardless, the number of cases outside China Is currently growing exponentially. And that is known cases.

Given people can have this for 1-2 weeks without showing symptoms, yet still pass it on to others, it is likely that the number of actual cases in the U.K. is currently many multiples of what we are aware of.

In Washington, researchers now suspect it has been circulating there, unknown, for some weeks. Six deaths and counting there I believe.

I’m assuming you mean Washington in the USA? Trump is in denial, saying it will all disappear this week, and thousands can’t afford to pay for a test. I saw one tweet yesterday where’s man was shown to be negative, but had paid $1400 for the privilege.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013

I'm on numerous Travel forums and today somebody posted that in the Swine Flu Pandemic of 2009, in the middle of July there were 110,000 cases reported in one week in the UK - i.e more in one week than the total number of Coronavirus cases globally today. What they failed to mention is that the first reported case was at the end of April 09 - therefore it had taken 2-3 months for transmission to get to those levels, which incidentally is what our Government has said could potentially happen with Coronavirus. The other big difference is the mortality rate for Swine Flu was between 0.01% and 0.08% and Coronavirus is currently above 3% (granted that number needs to develop as more people recover etc..)

So Flu it potentially maybe isn't, and potentially it could be worse than Swine Flu. Strap yourselves in, we ain't gonna know for a few weeks or months yet.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I’m assuming you mean Washington in the USA? Trump is in denial, saying it will all disappear this week, and thousands can’t afford to pay for a test. I saw one tweet yesterday where’s man was shown to be negative, but had paid $1400 for the privilege.

A clinician at Mount Vernon hospital, was diagnosed this week, but that was later confirmed negative after further tests.

https://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/18275669.clinician-mount-vernon-not-coronavirus/

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Washington state, Seattle area near Canada border in NW.

Surely their government has to pay for it in such times??

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Washington state, Seattle area near Canada border in NW.

Surely their government has to pay for it in such times??

I very much doubt that, medicine is run as very profitable business in the USA, they are not going to start giving free healthcare when there is suddenly a huge demand for their services, more chance of Trump supporting Obamacare.

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
I'm on numerous Travel forums and today somebody posted that in the Swine Flu Pandemic of 2009, in the middle of July there were 110,000 cases reported in one week in the UK - i.e more in one week than the total number of Coronavirus cases globally today. What they failed to mention is that the first reported case was at the end of April 09 - therefore it had taken 2-3 months for transmission to get to those levels, which incidentally is what our Government has said could potentially happen with Coronavirus. The other big difference is the mortality rate for Swine Flu was between 0.01% and 0.08% and Coronavirus is currently above 3% (granted that number needs to develop as more people recover etc..)

So Flu it potentially maybe isn't, and potentially it could be worse than Swine Flu. Strap yourselves in, we ain't gonna know for a few weeks or months yet.

The WHO have claimed the fatality rate is 3.4%, the Ratio though of those cured v those who died is at present 94% to 6%.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I very much doubt that, medicine is run as very profitable business in the USA, they are not going to start giving free healthcare when there is suddenly a huge demand for their services, more chance of Trump supporting Obamacare.

Why are they tested? You'd assume it's because some health professional thinks they may have coronavirus.

A bit generalised and hypothetical, but if it was you or I and we said. No bollox, I'm not paying.
If you want the test feel free to do it, or if you want to spend money quarantining me then do it.... Choose whatever, or I'll walk out the door as I'm not paying $1400+........ what are they going to do? This is a national public health crisis, it's not about you individually dropping dead without insurance or if you can't pay, it's about you transmitting it to many more of the public if not tested or treated. The US government needs you tested and treated to stop you spreading it to others, they should pay for the privilege.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Are you worried about getting Coronavirus ?

Are you worried about getting Coronavirus ?

Bearing in mind the news conference today with Boris and the 2 experts said worst case scenario 80%, 50 million of the population might get it and 4%, 3 million would be hospitalized

Are you stocking up with essential items in case the whole nation is housebound for a few weeks ?

All because some wrongun shagged a Pangolin up the rear in the far east, maybe

How do you see this thing panning out the next few months ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here