Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
[tweet]1226136050248097792[/tweet]

EQHQc99WsAAviFF.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The virus is quite weak atm but could mutate get aggressive and then could be hundreds of thousands. No one knows

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The virus is quite weak atm but could mutate get aggressive and then could be hundreds of thousands. No one knows

Big difference in how the French are dealing with this and the seemingly lackadaisical British with this Brighton case.

The Brighton fella, our 3rd confirmed case, got it at a business seminar in Singapore. Flew back via the French Alps for 5 days, stayed in an apartment where some Brirish guests and some Brits who live there have caught it after he left.

I read the vaccine can survive up to 28 days on some surfaces. So what Brighton fella touched was still infected after he'd left(which is the same as cruise ship after that fella disembarked).

In France they're fully disinfecting apartment, and the local school (where one of the infected kids who lived there intended just once for 1/2 a day since being infected) has been shut until kids he came into contact with (just 5 allegedly) are first tested..... Seems about right.

Whereas here, in the Grenadier pub, the staff are told to self isolate, there's nothing published about any form of disinfecting and the student from Portslade school also told to self isolate, it's quoted that the school asked if it should close (as the boy had been there) and the response from public health UK is "there's no need at this time"
So they're gambling there's no trace of infection in pub and school boy hasn't got it and passed it on. The french are not simply gambling and taking every precaution.

If public health England have gambled wrong it's already slowly spreading.

D

Deleted member 22389

Big difference in how the French are dealing with this and the seemingly lackadaisical British with this Brighton case.

The Brighton fella, our 3rd confirmed case, got it at a business seminar in Singapore. Flew back via the French Alps for 5 days, stayed in an apartment where some Brirish guests and some Brits who live there have caught it after he left.

I read the vaccine can survive up to 28 days on some surfaces. So what Brighton fella touched was still infected after he'd left(which is the same as cruise ship after that fella disembarked).

In France they're fully disinfecting apartment, and the local school (where one of the infected kids who lived there intended just once for 1/2 a day since being infected) has been shut until kids he came into contact with (just 5 allegedly) are first tested..... Seems about right.

Whereas here, in the Grenadier pub, the staff are told to self isolate, there's nothing published about any form of disinfecting and the student from Portslade school also told to self isolate, it's quoted that the school asked if it should close (as the boy had been there) and the response from public health UK is "there's no need at this time"
So they're gambling there's no trace of infection in pub and school boy hasn't got it and passed it on. The french are not simply gambling and taking every precaution.

If public health England have gambled wrong it's already slowly spreading.

It all feels a bit too late now. It obvious this thing doesn't appear to be getting any better in China, and if further cases start popping up in Sussex it might be time to think about wearing a face mask when you go out, washing your hands more frequently, and stay away from places where you know there are going to be lots of people.

I'm no expert, may be a health professional can advise? I suppose as the weather gets better peoples coughs, colds with clear off for a few months, and if this country can ride it out, hopefully this time next year a vaccine will be out.

Going to try and not worry about this anymore, otherwise I won't be leaving the house at all.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
It all feels a bit too late now. It obvious this thing doesn't appear to be getting any better in China, and if further cases start popping up in Sussex it might be time to think about wearing a face mask when you go out, washing your hands more frequently, and stay away from places where you know there are going to be lots of people.

I'm no expert, may be a health professional can advise? I suppose as the weather gets better peoples coughs, colds with clear off for a few months, and if this country can ride it out, hopefully this time next year a vaccine will be out.

Going to try and not worry about this anymore, otherwise I won't be leaving the house at all.

They’ve already said wearing a face mask does absolutely nothing

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They’ve already said wearing a face mask does absolutely nothing

I agree (and have seen a few medical articles suggesting the same), but literally everyone in Hong Kong yesterday was wearing one, and there were queues at many of the shops selling them. Probably 75% of those on the plane kept them on, and all the cabin crew were wearing them for most of the flight.

A friend in Singapore also sent me a couple of pics - supermarkets are being emptied by panic buying (especially bog rolls as a potential shortage has been predicted, and condoms - I guess if you’re going to be under lockdown you need something to do....)

244435db93a3306a6c48de626d37aadd.jpg
898669527d996b48d229e5bb2ed56486.jpg
39218d53a01d682108355f7539433091.jpg
f0584db3768888228b4b4df40c11c696.jpg

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Very little to stop you catching, but a lot to stop you spreading.

Selfish people will probably not bother.........
Exactly, it's also very much a cultural thing, showing respect to your fellow citizens especially in places like Hong Kong, Bangkok, Manila that have a high population density.

There is no way that I could visit my clients in Hong Kong and NOT wear a face mask at the moment, if I wanted to keep them as clients!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Not sure how valid it is though, don't forget that large numbers of the population have little or no health cover. Those with the money might present without hesitation for the slightest ailment so its a bit harder to be sure. I think you would get a far better picture from the UK simply because of the unified standards( mostly) of response to illness and care.

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
Very little to stop you catching, but a lot to stop you spreading.

Selfish people will probably not bother.........

How much of this is common knowledge?

If covering your mouth slows down the rate of spread untill a vaccine it is in your own interest to wear a mask, or at least cover your mouth when coughing.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Not sure how valid it is though, don't forget that large numbers of the population have little or no health cover. Those with the money might present without hesitation for the slightest ailment so its a bit harder to be sure. I think you would get a far better picture from the UK simply because of the unified standards( mostly) of response to illness and care.

Would it be just as valid to compare the US flu statistics with the US Coronavirus statistics?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How much of this is common knowledge?

If covering your mouth slows down the rate of spread untill a vaccine it is in your own interest to wear a mask, or at least cover your mouth when coughing.

Absolutely common in Asia, mask-wearing isn’t remotely unusual year-round but it’s usually to stop spreading germs ratter than to avoid catching anything.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

The virus can survive up to 28 days... but that suggests it won't always... and a surface would only be contaminated if he had the virus on his hands at that point presumably. Which won't be all the time.

The people in France are in hospital and therefore suffering symptoms and confirmed as infected. The kid in Portslade, by the sounds of it, has simply realised he's been in contact with someone with the virus as self-isolation is only the first stage.

Early reports that the virus can be spread by people who have no symptoms have been discredited. So the likelihood of the Portslade kid infecting anyone else - assuming he's not feeling ill - seems to be pretty much zero. As for the other kids, if they haven't got any symptoms, there shouldn't be any risk. If they feel ill, they'll probably be told to self-isolate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here