Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Just before that all happened, in early March 2009 I came down with a very severe, full on flu, coupled with diarrhea, having just come back from being in South Africa. My girlfriend made me go the GP and he took pity on me and actually prescribed Tamiflu or something and I was okay in a few days after resting up etc. I always remember him saying to me that in his '30 years of general practice, I've never seen so many cases of flu around at this time of year, I don't know where it's all coming from.' I'll never know for sure, but I've personally always been convinced I had Swine flu and it was doing the rounds here long before it became official.

I was in Ibiza that whole summer and the island had to have an emergency amount of anti-biotisc sent out as everyone was getting it. I caught it for sure. It was horrible. I couldn't believe how ill I was. I was completely weak. I remember telling my mates who all got it as well "this is really bad, I'm so ill, this isn't like anything I've had before. I'm going to be ill for ages" and then after just 3 days, It was suddenly gone and I felt terrific. Never had I been so ill for it to then just suddenly disappear like that. Every 2nd person I met out there had the exact same story.

https://forum.ibiza-spotlight.com/threads/swine-flu.54348/page-3

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I was in Ibiza that whole summer and the island had to have an emergency amount of anti-biotisc sent out as everyone was getting it. I caught it for sure. It was horrible. I couldn't believe how ill I was. I was completely weak. I remember telling my mates who all got it as well "this is really bad, I'm so ill, this isn't like anything I've had before. I'm going to be ill for ages" and then after just 3 days, It was suddenly gone and I felt terrific. Never had I been so ill for it to then just suddenly disappear like that. Every 2nd person I met out there had the exact same story.

i think your first link was correct :whistle:
https://wundergroundmusic.com/british-doctors-warn-public-of-possible-ibizan-flu-epidemic/

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

That's just like what I had. It was short, but it was certainly sharp while it lasted, though I was back at work quite soon afterwards and felt fine.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yep.

My other half is an NHS ward sister and she tells me that fax machines are the main way hospitals communicate over patient records...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I believe I read somewhere that this is done because other electronic methods of data storage and transfer can be hacked. Good old fax machines can't be intercepted... At worst you just send some incredibly important data to the wrong place.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
was hoping I'd correct that before anyone picked up on it. :facepalm:

Cheers

only called it because the original was amusing and ironic it was provided as evidence.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I believe I read somewhere that this is done because other electronic methods of data storage and transfer can be hacked. Good old fax machines can't be intercepted... At worst you just send some incredibly important data to the wrong place.

"wrong place" is indirectly interception, and anyone can pick up the fax the other end. the NHS operates on its on private network, so hacking is low risk, and the current systems are equally at risk. really its simply technophobia and institutional intransigence. its because the GPs wont share their data, the trusts dont see why they should be any different and it permeates through the system. it doesnt need an expensive costly central database either, simply common standards and protocol for transfer of data files. given this is an institution handling live and death decisions every minute, issuing standards and protocol on everything, you'd think they could manage this. (sry, bit of a rant, 10+ years of seeing this utterly bizarre situation unresolved)

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
I really wish I was as positive as you. My Mrs, Mum and Sister (who is in Asia) keep telling me to pack it in and stop worrying... Wish I could, but researched this loads since 2 weeks ago and am not very optimistic about the outcome here and the rest of the world, hence my "hundreds of millions" the other day, today I think this will wipe out atleast half the word, if not more.

I hope I'm just panicking for no reason, but I just can't see this getting any better. I think the govt needs to close all borders and impose strict curfews across the country, to stop this escalating here.

You are confusing possible with probable. Yes what you say is probable if it leads to civilisational collapse but this ignores all the reasons and probabilities it wont happen. Its probable that a cure is found before this outcome, the disease although infectious will slow down in less densly populated areas with static populations.

Wuhan will acheive herd immunity by April, this will reduce cases and deaths so the straight percentage killed will infact taper of at some point.

Over reacting can also cause damage, quarantine rather than closed borders is the way to go. And smile, we all got to go some time!:) and to quote a character from the film Armageddon you will get a front row seat to watch the end of the world. Yes humour helps.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just arrived in Hong Kong. Never seen the place so quiet. Plane from Bangkok was about 25% full in our cabin. Bit of angst at hotel checkin as Mrs D was showing a slightly elevated temperature (only very slightly too, but caused additional checks and a referral to management, plus a full run-down of where we’d travelled over the last couple of weeks).......I couldn’t be arsed to explain the menopause to the guy behind the desk [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Thought the fragmentation of the NHS was a part of the soft long term plans to enable it to be sold off. Obviously selling off the whole NHS in one go is hard but you start by just opening certain services out to contract. That mean the NHS can't be one big monolithic thing as it wouldn't be possible to sell off individual services if it was. This means there is a lot of fragmentation of systems etc between the trusts and doctors surgeries.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just arrived in Hong Kong. Never seen the place so quiet. Plane from Bangkok was about 25% full in our cabin. Bit of angst at hotel checkin as Mrs D was showing a slightly elevated temperature (only very slightly too, but caused additional checks and a referral to management, plus a full run-down of where we’d travelled over the last couple of weeks).......I couldn’t be arsed to explain the menopause to the guy behind the desk [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

He probably wouldn't understand as few Chinese women suffer with meonpausal symptoms due to the high amount of soya in their diets. Your wife may benefit from soyaflavin supplements easily bought from herbalists.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He probably wouldn't understand as few Chinese women suffer with meonpausal symptoms due to the high amount of soya in their diets. Your wife may benefit from soyaflavin supplements easily bought from herbalists.
Yeah....I know. I was joking (partly) [emoji23][emoji23]

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here