Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Feels like I'm watching a movie. We need to be doing the same.

I've heard of a place, a community, they are still free of this virus. It's about 15 miles from here, a disused cement works. If we travel at night......

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Who knows what "loads" is? Who can realistically put a timeframe on it? How many will die in the meantime? What's 'acceptable'?

Who will calculate when mass gatherings of 5k, 10k or 50k can be accepted (eg won't put a burden on health services if they cause an outbreak)?

So, so many questions....

Loads is probably something like 40-60% of us. Quite a lot of people will die, but far fewer will die if we can smooth over any peaks.

A combination of medics, scientists and mathematicians will try and estimate the best time to implement control of mass gatherings and closures of schools and public areas.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
[tweet]1238038497052762113[/tweet]

This is stupidity and why Johnson is advocating 'taking it on the chin'. Herd immunity is attained by vaccines, but there is no vaccine available yet.

Johnson is just saying it's survival of the fittest. Tough if you aren't one of them.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Agreed. Apologies if I ever appeared to be in that group. It wasn’t my intention, and I acknowledge in the early days of this situation I did think it was being slightly overblown.

I 100% don’t now. I think some element of social distancing should be commenced immediately.

One question - once into a more stringent lockdown - how will we deal with the situation of people who have had the virus and want to go back out to help others/get shopping for those in quarantine? Based on the idea that it is very unlikely to contract Coronavirus twice, it would be potentially frustrating to have thousands or tens of thousands of people who are “post-Corona” having to continue isolating if they could be of more use helping those who are still having to isolate?

Absolutely no need to apologise for anything. Everyone I guess hoped it wouldnt get to the potential impact it has got to, and more so will soon have. It's the events that are changing the fast moving picture not opinions.

Not sure any of us have seen anything like this before.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

This is stupidity and why Johnson is advocating 'taking it on the chin'. Herd immunity is attained by vaccines, but there is no vaccine available yet.

Johnson is just saying it's survival of the fittest. Tough if you aren't one of them.
He did not suggest 'taking it on the chin'. He reasoned along the lines of 'some say lock down, some say take it on the chin but our line is to find the balance'. I have no problem with that, it is reasonable whether you are a Tory or Labor voter. I wish that this statement would stop being misquoted.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1238043138834477058[/TWEET]

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Immunity will probably come from being infected and recovering before a vaccine is ready.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I have come to the conclusion ( maybe rubbish ) that the 'story' about not taking measures too early because people will break them later is a cover story.

The Government want a significant number of cases to create an immunity in part of the population. I can see it would be monstrous for a politician to admit this.

Not convinced that's the reason. It's the economy and the damage on business. Every minute under lockdown is costing the government and losing tax/vat revenue. That's the real reason imho

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Given the Irish have closed schools, I can see next week the UK doing the same. Couple of weeks off, then another 2 weeks off for Easter holidays, or move that time forward.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He did not suggest 'taking it on the chin'. He reasoned along the lines of 'some say lock down, some say take it on the chin but our line is to find the balance'. I have no problem with that, it is reasonable whether you are a Tory or Labor voter. I wish that this statement would stop being misquoted.

This, sadly people will use times of trouble and concern to score political points and get over their biased opinions...

And then obviously claim in a later post "you misunderstood what I meant"

Political biased points of view, politics should not come into such a serious matter. it is what is best for the country and "all" its folk, young and old.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I've been trying to think of an analogy for what I think is trying to be done. This is it. It's not very good, but might do the job.

1. There's a bath that can hold the entire UK population. The government need to fill that bath.

2. There's a bucket that sits between the tap the government have and the bath. The bucket has a hole in the bottom of it. The bucket is the NHS.

3. When the tap is turned on, 80% of the water can go straight into the bath, but 20% needs to go into the bucket.

4. The government will be trying to turn the tap on, releasing the water, such that the water flowing into the top of the bucket is matched by the water falling through the hole in the bottom.

The problem is too much water going into the bucket and it overflows.

Finally, you've lost it!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Immunity will probably come from being infected and recovering before a vaccine is ready.

It will for those that survive. How many vulnerable people will survive? Those having cancer treatment, immuno suppressed, COPD and over 65s?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Agreed. Apologies if I ever appeared to be in that group. It wasn’t my intention, and I acknowledge in the early days of this situation I did think it was being slightly overblown.
I seem to recall being accused of scaremongering :glare:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
849430f5fe66cc7827235ed924da416b.jpg

The tolerant, educated left....
Classy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It will for those that survive. How many vulnerable people will survive? Those having cancer treatment, immuno suppressed, COPD and over 65s?

I am immunosuppressed since 2006, on anti-tnf drug called infliximab. Though I am not worried about myself with this, still convinced if I get it, I'll be ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here