Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The other problem being that the bucket is already full.

Yes, I'm not pretending this is easy because the numbers involved are massive.

I don't think that was his point - more that the (NHS) bucket is overstretched anyway, irregardless of the entire corona-virus issue.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Agreed.

Imo, it's only a small step up from "It's only flu" to "China has cracked it".

I saw someone claim this on Twitter morning.... but China is still in bloody lockdown! It's just tempoarary containment, not a solution.

Nothing will be normal until there's a vaccine and it's rolled out around the world.

In the meantime, governments will have to carefully manage their citizens (50%+?) getting the virus.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a ban on all large-scale events (say, 10,000 or more) for at least a year or two - but God knows where that leaves mass transporation such as The Tube.

It will become more normal when loads of us have had it and built a herd immunity. Probably sometime around autumn.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't think that was his point - more that the (NHS) bucket is overstretched anyway, irregardless of the entire corona-virus issue.

Yes, I know that and I know he meant that.

I was just trying to illustrate that in my analogy there's a huge volume of additional "water" that will also somehow need to flow through that bucket.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whilst not in the ‘fuss over nothing crew’ I’m certainly not in the ‘we are all going to do die’ camp either.
There isn't a 'we are all going to die' camp. There's one person who used to think half the world was going to die (he seems to have changed that drastically), but he's ill and has been signed off work by his doctor.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
It will become more normal when loads of us have had it and built a herd immunity. Probably sometime around autumn.

Who knows what "loads" is? Who can realistically put a timeframe on it? How many will die in the meantime? What's 'acceptable'?

Who will calculate when mass gatherings of 5k, 10k or 50k can be accepted (eg won't put a burden on health services if they cause an outbreak)?

So, so many questions....

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
A McLaren team member has tested positive and the team have pulled out of the Aussie GP. I'm just waiting on the expected news that C2C at the O2 is going to be off too.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Who knows what "loads" is? Who can realistically put a timeframe on it? How many will die in the meantime? What's 'acceptable'?

Who will calculate when mass gatherings of 5k, 10k or 50k can be accepted (eg won't put a burden on health services if they cause an outbreak)?

So, so many questions....

You would like to think that the government was prepared (as much as is possible) for events like this. But who knows.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
La Liga off!!!

Just heard same on R5L, off for min 2 weeks, whole Real Madrid squad quarantined after someone in the real Madrid basketball club (who share all common spaces with football squad) has tested positive.

And so it all begins

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
BoJo in a bit of a quandary now.

Does he delay for the 'control' element, or run the risk of not following the Irish lead when they might show a reduction in numbers having acted?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here