Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whilst not in the ‘fuss over nothing crew’ I’m certainly not in the ‘we are all going to do die’ camp either. The spanner in the works for was Italy. The more I read about what has been done or more importantly hasn’t been makes me think ‘f*ck!’
South Korea has shown what to do and Italy what not to do.

No one, not on here at least, claimed "we are going to die". That camp is empty. There's not even any tents pitched there.

The concerned took some time to read and digest scientific output, and realised the greater societal impacts of this are huge, which we're only just starting to see the beginning of.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's a good question. Post-Corona people (there will probably soon be hundreds of thousands and then millions) are clearly very valuable for the reason you state.

But this comes back to something I said elsewhere on testing. There is such limited capacity to test at scale (10,000/day won't scratch the surface soon), that I'm guessing most of those post-Corona won't know, definitively, they are post-Corona. Did they have a cold, regular flu or Corona? What about those who had no symptoms at all?

Beat me to it, there are already people who don't know if they've had it or not, like that guy on twitter. Soon there will be more of those that those that know they've had it.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
One part of the plan that will come out today is that schools will be closed for at least one extra week either before or following the Easter holidays. My bet is two extra weeks.

Maybe why the Government has been holding off for as long as possible in getting to the delay phase

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’ve spent the last 12 years working with Italians ...... I’m not the least surprised. It’s always someone else’s problem and a rule is there to be broken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greece has/had the same problem especially with the back pocket. Taxes were for other people to pay.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No one, not on here at least, claimed "we are going to die". That camp is empty. There's not even any tents pitched there.

The concerned took some time to read and digest scientific output, and realised the greater societal impacts of this are huge, which we're only just starting to see the beginning of.

It's the people being tested positive who aren't ill that worry me, because they seem to be carriers.
Would the Juventus defender have known he was positive if the whole team hadn't been tested?

D

Deleted member 22389

Whilst not in the ‘fuss over nothing crew’ I’m certainly not in the ‘we are all going to do die’ camp either. The spanner in the works for was Italy. The more I read about what has been done or more importantly hasn’t been makes me think ‘f*ck!’
South Korea has shown what to do and Italy what not to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Older Italians do not listen, or should I say all Italians. I think they are starting to listen now. It's the same with my 83 year old mum, I'm telling her to stay in. Guaranteed when I pop in today she would have been food shopping, because my 5 year old daughter is starving as me and my wife don't feed her.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Talking on Sky News as this is temporary and it will pass and everything will be OK again. I think we are going to in this position for at least another 12 - 15 months until we get a vaccine.

Agreed.

Imo, it's only a small step up from "It's only flu" to "China has cracked it".

I saw someone claim this on Twitter morning.... but China is still in bloody lockdown! It's just tempoarary containment, not a solution.

Nothing will be normal until there's a vaccine and it's rolled out around the world.

In the meantime, governments will have to carefully manage their citizens (50%+?) getting the virus.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a ban on all large-scale events (say, 10,000 or more) for at least a year or two - but God knows where that leaves mass transporation such as The Tube.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ve certainly shifted into the “concerned” bracket but more for what could happen than what I think will happen.
In terms of “panic” I think people are more concerned that our government isn’t doing enough and I believe the best way to waylay some of the concern is to introduce some measures, which will be coming today I’m sure.
I’m thinking more in terms of calming people and I now think the best way to do that is to announce some restrictions. I would think these will be along the lines of cancelling non essential mass gatherings.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I’ve certainly shifted into the “concerned” bracket but more for what could happen than what I think will happen.
In terms of “panic” I think people are more concerned that our government isn’t doing enough and I believe the best way to waylay some of the concern is to introduce some measures, which will be coming today I’m sure.
I’m thinking more in terms of calming people and I now think the best way to do that is to announce some restrictions. I would think these will be along the lines of cancelling non essential mass gatherings.

People are generally calm though. You get a few idiots panic buying and a few freaking out about the end of the world but mostly people are just cracking on as normal.

Restrictions could well see a change in peoples calmness

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have a trip from Australia to Brighton planned in two weeks time, Man U and LIverpool game. I am seriously considering postponing my trip due to Corona Virus.

Apart from coming with my autistic boy who is very anxious about the whole thing, being concerned about not being allowed to leave or being quarantined when i get home and being worried about exposing my parents in their 70's to it. I am really concerned that our trip will not be as enjoyable as it could be due to restrictions and stuff put in place.

I think it might just be a nicer trip if i postpone to the Autumn.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
My wife is a dental nurse. The NHS has sent out a guideline to all surgeries that the Lulworth is that all surgeries will be closed in two weeks. They will be sending another update in the next 1 to 2 weeks.

The surgery is now running out of masks and gloves.

The NHS also suggested that she start stockpiling food ready for the next 2 weeks.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
People are generally calm though. You get a few idiots panic buying and a few freaking out about the end of the world but mostly people are just cracking on as normal.

Restrictions could well see a change in peoples calmness

It’s a fine line. Looking at some articles it looks like we will take quite a low key approach to restrictions but I certainly think people are looking for some firmer guidance.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Agreed.

Imo, it's only a small step up from "It's only flu" to "China has cracked it".

I saw someone claim this on Twitter morning.... but China is still in bloody lockdown! It's just tempoarary containment, not a solution.

Nothing will be normal until there's a vaccine and it's rolled out around the world.

In the meantime, governments will have to carefully manage their citizens (50%+?) getting the virus.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a ban on all large-scale events (say, 10,000 or more) for at least a year or two - but God knows where that leaves mass transporation such as The Tube.

I've been trying to think of an analogy for what I think is trying to be done. This is it. It's not very good, but might do the job.

1. There's a bath that can hold the entire UK population. The government need to fill that bath.

2. There's a bucket that sits between the tap the government have and the bath. The bucket has a hole in the bottom of it. The bucket is the NHS.

3. When the tap is turned on, 80% of the water can go straight into the bath, but 20% needs to go into the bucket.

4. The government will be trying to turn the tap on, releasing the water, such that the water flowing into the top of the bucket is matched by the water falling through the hole in the bottom.

The problem is too much water going into the bucket and it overflows.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My wife is a dental nurse. The NHS has sent out a guideline to all surgeries that the Lulworth is that all surgeries will be closed in two weeks. They will be sending another update in the next 1 to 2 weeks.

The surgery is now running out of masks and gloves.

The NHS also suggested that she start stockpiling food ready for the next 2 weeks.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

I've got surgery planned for next week to remove a polyp/biopsy from inside my cheek, with Maxo-Facial, and received a text yesterday to ask if I can make sure I attend.
Maybe it's just Lulworth?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've been trying to think of an analogy for what I think is trying to be done. This is it. It's not very good, but might do the job.

1. There's a bath that can hold the entire UK population. The government need to fill that bath.

2. There's a bucket that sits between the tap the government have and the bath. The bucket has a hole in the bottom of it. The bucket is the NHS.

3. When the tap is turned on, 80% of the water can go straight into the bath, but 20% needs to go into the bucket.

4. The government will be trying to turn the tap on, releasing the water, such that the water flowing into the top of the bucket is matched by the water falling through the hole in the bottom.

The problem is too much water going into the bucket and it overflows.

The other problem being that the bucket is already full.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I've got surgery planned for next week to remove a polyp/biopsy from inside my cheek, with Maxo-Facial, and received a text yesterday to ask if I can make sure I attend.
Maybe it's just Lulworth?
I was typing and jumping off the train at the time. Lulworth was a typo/predictive text. Patients have not been informed that the surgery may close as they have not been advised to close as yet. So your surgery may well get put off nearer the time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The other problem being that the bucket is already full.

Yes, I'm not pretending this is easy because the numbers involved are massive.

Taking the conservative side of Merkel's 60%-70% from yesterday, the maths are:

66m * 60% * 20% = 7,920,000 requiring NHS help.

That's the reason for needing to "flatten the curve".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here