Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
We're assuming the actual mortality rate to be far lower than 3%, given that a huge % of people who get coronavirus get it so mildly that they show little to no symptoms, and are therefore not going to be included in the stats of cases, right?

the experts say that's what they expect? was an article on it posted on here in last 24 hours from some person saying they thought the real figure of infected was much higher which would lower mortality.

Plus there's allegedly 2 strains floating about now, a bad one and milder one, hopefully if it happens it will just be the milder version.... get the bog rolls, pasta and a few cases in and watch netflix for 2 weeks

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't want to alarm you, but that's what Trump is saying.

OK...serious question...how are they including in the list of stats people who show little to no symptoms?

Will be interested in this one.

Meanwhile, you aren't helping at all with your sensationalist Daily Express bullshit. It's beneath you.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
shirley the supermarkets can limit loo roll and pasta to 1/2 packs per person. quite able to do so on offer items or paracetamol (you cant possibly need more than 2x16 tablets, so we wont sell you them)

Thus sadly risking violence to shop staff.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
There is definitely an element of glee and drama with the way some people are posting on here (almost like a match day thread when we are losing). Minute by minute updates of people infected, percentage point increases or decreases in mortality rates etc. Am I concerned, yes of course, for those I know who could be susceptible (including some very close to me) and for the NHS and the economy but sweet Jesus, calm the f*** down some of you. I haven't seen anything like it since the arrival of Ali J.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We did our weekly big shop yesterday and just bought what he needsd, as always.

There was plenty of loo roll, but pasta was all gone.

I just figured by this time next week, all the panic-buying will be done and stocks will return to normal.

This media-whipped-up bollocks has served as a pretty stark illustration of how flimsy our illusion of a mature civilised society actually is. Doesn't take very much at all for wankers to start filling up their shopping trolleys with pasta and bog rolls. What's the betting the shitferbrains didn't think of also stocking up on pasta sauce and a half-decent Italian grated cheese. And maybe a nice white wine. Beyond peurile. Why do 'we' always have to act like a herd of c****s?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Likely mortality rate is therefore probably around 0.2%. But everyone definitely still panic. That's the sensible thing to do.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yes, yes they do. In fact in the article it says 6-7% is home delivered.

But it may be that to get the extra vehicles and staff to pick/pack/dispatch and deliver this on some larger, as yet undefined scale, maybe with extra health and safety precautions could prove to be more of an issue. I would imagine those are the sort of things the supermarkets may well want to discuss with the government before Matt Hancock announced "We are working with the supermarkets to make sure that, if people are self-isolating, then we will be able to get the food and supplies that they need."' ???

If it starts to sweep and large numbers start all going down with it, I guess theyll be a lot more who will try and avail of home delivery than the current numbers...... in the winter normally there's no end of coughing and spluttering in the aisles...... why run the gauntlet if you can get it delivered, could the supermarkets cope with say 20-30%?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This media-whipped-up bollocks has served as a pretty stark illustration of how flimsy our illusion of a mature civilised society actually is. Doesn't take very much at all for wankers to start filling up their shopping trolleys with pasta and bog rolls. What's the betting the shitferbrains didn't think of also stocking up on pasta sauce and a half-decent Italian grated cheese. And maybe a nice white wine. Beyond peurile. Why do 'we' always have to act like a herd of c****s?

when it all hits the fan, i'll invite you over for some Italian........ got any sauce, cheese or wine :dunce:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If it starts to sweep and large numbers start all going down with it, I guess theyll be a lot more who will try and avail of home delivery than the current numbers...... in the winter normally there's no end of coughing and spluttering in the aisles...... why run the gauntlet if you can get it delivered, could the supermarkets cope with say 20-30%?

Well I have no idea, but I would struggle to think of any significant business operations that I have been involved with that could successfully increase their volumes between 3 and 5 fold in a couple of weeks. I think it's just a further example of the total naivety and complete lack of experience of the current cabinet to announce something without finding out whether it's even viable :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We're assuming the actual mortality rate to be far lower than 3%, given that a huge % of people who get coronavirus get it so mildly that they show little to no symptoms, and are therefore not going to be included in the stats of cases, right?

yes. but, it will probably lead to quite a lot of extra deaths in at risk groups and it seems to be very contagious, so we shouldn't dismiss either.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Reckon there needs to an emergency Wanker Tax introduced. Buy a couple of 4 packs of loo rolls, fine. Fill up yer shopping trolley with them, then you're a Wanker and your moronic stockpile should be taxed at source ie checkout accordingly

Why loo roll? Are these plebs planning to self isolate 'just in case' and stay indoors bricking themselves that the VIRUS will crawl up the plug hole?????

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
yes. but, it will probably lead to quite a lot of extra deaths in at risk groups and it seems to be very contagious, so we shouldn't dismiss either.

Two possible positive solutions;

1. Weather improves and it buggers off of it's own accord - daily cases are going down all the time in China, a place with far worse hygiene than here.
2. If contagion gets to "state of emergency/TIEM TO PANICK" standard (unlikely, but possible), we all self isolate for 2 weeks. Catch up on netflix, and boom - coronavirus gone.

Should it be completely dismissed out of hand? No. But some people's reactions atm are utterly, utterly ludicrous and really aren't helping those with a nervous/anxious disposition. Use some common sense - this part isn't aimed at you, [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION]...

Further positive - there were 58,000 active infections back on Feb 19th. There are currently 39,000, at a time when we are testing at a far higher rate, and have much more awareness of the virus.

There have also been less critical cases day-on-day since Feb 18th until now.

Again, focusing on the stats as a whole, rather than cherry-picking the most scary ones, helps a lot. Ignore the papers and focus on the stats.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Well I have no idea, but I would struggle to think of any significant business operations that I have been involved with that could successfully increase their volumes between 3 and 5 fold in a couple of weeks. I think it's just a further example of the total naivety and complete lack of experience of the current cabinet to announce something without finding out whether it's even viable :shrug:

probably would be to much...... not going to well across the pond with those in the trump personality cult, they tried blaming Obama 2 days ago for rules he created which they say hampered their use of test kits, today its all China's fault that the US is making a pigs ear of it rather than the idiot running the country..

"US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has criticised China for not sharing coronavirus information quicker.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Friday said "imperfect data from China on the coronavirus has hindered the US response to the outbreak", blaming Beijing in a television interview with CNBC on Friday.

"The information that we got at the front end of this thing wasn't perfect and has led us now to a place where much of the challenge we face today has put us behind the curve," Mr Pompeo said"

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
OK...serious question...how are they including in the list of stats people who show little to no symptoms?

Will be interested in this one.

Meanwhile, you aren't helping at all with your sensationalist Daily Express bullshit. It's beneath you.

in the future the medical data science boffins will look for rises in symptoms reported and sales of drugs to see higher numbers of infections to some degree of accuracy. right now Trump certainly cant say anything for sure as US doing next to no testing.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-05/coronavirus-covid-19-what-its-like-to-have-the-virus/12026902

From the link:
Key points:
Australians Karen and Jason Honey both became infected with coronavirus on the Diamond Princess cruise ship
Ms Honey has suffered bouts of fever at night, regularly having to change her clothes and sheets
Mr Honey has had no symptoms at all, despite testing positive for the virus.

I realise it's just two people's experience but it shows how a true count of those infected might be hard to come by and also shows you're not going to save yourself by people self-isolating. They're here now, and walk amongst us, infected.............without knowing it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

It's all about the 'underlying health issues'. And being in old age. Just about anything's going to zap you with that combo in play

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
in the future the medical data science boffins will look for rises in symptoms reported and sales of drugs to see higher numbers of infections to some degree of accuracy. right now Trump certainly cant say anything for sure as US doing next to no testing.

I'm not supporting Trump in any way, the man's a buffoon. I haven't even seen his comments on this. My point still stands and is correct.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-05/coronavirus-covid-19-what-its-like-to-have-the-virus/12026902

From the link:
Key points:
Australians Karen and Jason Honey both became infected with coronavirus on the Diamond Princess cruise ship
Ms Honey has suffered bouts of fever at night, regularly having to change her clothes and sheets
Mr Honey has had no symptoms at all, despite testing positive for the virus.

I realise it's just two people's experience but it shows how a true count of those infected might be hard to come by and also shows you're not going to save yourself by people self-isolating. They're here now, and walk amongst us, infected.............without knowing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here