Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are you worried about getting Coronavirus ?
Nope. More chance of dying in the next car journey I take.
Globally you are (but we can't count globally according to Trig).

In the UK you definitely currently are (but we can't count that according to Trig either because the numbers of people with covid-19 in the UK are currently "too low", ironically)
You said you weren't worried about getting the Coronavirus, because you were more likely to die in the next car journey you took. You were wrong. You then tried to justify your nonsense with the current numbers of people with Coronavirus, and compared them with all traffic related deaths around the world.

No, all traffic related deaths around the world are not particularly relevant to your 1 car journey (which it looks like you somehow survived). And no, the total number of deaths due to traffic incidents in this country are also not comparible to your 1 car journey.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm just saying that as a positive optimist with a healthy sense of my own mortality I focussed in on the less virulent strain. Something I said early on, funnlity enough - that viruses can mutate if they are too strong (citing black death)- has happened. I was shut down on that one - turns out I was right.
WTF? Where's the evidence that a week ago this was too strong, but it's suddenly mutated into something less strong, that is killing lots of people? You're just trying to cherry pick bits of information to make it look like you weren't wrong. It's not working.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I posted earlier on this thread and (unlike the majority on here)can speak from experience as I’m a nurse practitioner working in a very busy district general hospital A&E.

We see around 800 new patients per week with the vast majority being elderly with complex needs often respiratory. We are up against it already with 4 hour waits in the back of ambulances in the car park not uncommon. We have corridors full of sick old people, a full Resuscitation area almost 24/7 and a minors area rammed with people far too sick to be in there but nowhere else to put them. We also have a lot of “worried well”:eek:verdoses, nut cases and drunks/addicts.

The police are in the department all the time with those assaulted or under arrest and, frankly, worn out, overloaded and knackered staff.

We have been advised by our trust board to expect imminently a huge upswell in numbers as, whilst most infected with C19, there will be between 14 and 20% will need a bed and another 5% needing ITU beds. That means that our hospital will see hundreds more very ill people needing urgent care which we simply cannot offer.

The information we have from the senior management is laughable, we have a pod for C19 testing big enough for one patient and two clinicians. We also have 2...yes 2...hazmat suits to share among our doctors, nurses, HCAs and cleaning staff.

We are told to get on with it basically. But I know- and you should too- that if any of you get ill or need hospital care, even for a minor injury you will be waiting for a VERY long time to get it if the trajectory of this virus goes the way it’s predicted to.

Another point is that the Chinese reported that their frontline staff were decimated by Covid when it hit their hospitals with deaths among Young fit clinicians occurring far more frequently than they cared to report. The likely cause? Viral load. Massive exposure to the virus from multiple patients.

I have small kids. I am not worried for myself but them. I will be there tonight and whenever I’m needed because I love the NHS and believe that I’m obligated to help in this crisis.

But stop treating it like a joke or an inconvenience think of your doctors and nurses.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I see the penny is slowly dropping.

Er, no. My standpoint from the get-go has been to let it play out, develop a level of herd immunity, let it die naturally in the warmer weather and work on a vaccine for next year. One of the big contradictions on here has been a group of people who want the country locked down to prevent something unpreventable.

My challenges with regards to the number of cases have always been to do with people's tendency to overstate the mortality rate. If it is highly infectious then it's almost certain not every case has been reported and therefore the lower end of the range that you told me was too low in itself would be accurate.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's awful but maybe this will be a wake up call to the people in the USA so he won't get back in as President. Something good has got to come out of this awful mess.

Wall St is well down which was Trumps main USP " Nobody knows more about business than me... " … If this gets out of hand and it seems Trump has dithered, sent mixed messages and contradicted US medical chiefs and spends more time on Twitter slagging off Democrats than actually sorting this, he may be out on his ear, however, I can see him winging it and getting away with it yet again myself.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Someone take that shovel off [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] :wink:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I posted earlier on this thread and (unlike the majority on here)can speak from experience as I’m a nurse practitioner working in a very busy district general hospital A&E.

We see around 800 new patients per week with the vast majority being elderly with complex needs often respiratory. We are up against it already with 4 hour waits in the back of ambulances in the car park not uncommon. We have corridors full of sick old people, a full Resuscitation area almost 24/7 and a minors area rammed with people far too sick to be in there but nowhere else to put them. We also have a lot of “worried well”:eek:verdoses, nut cases and drunks/addicts.

The police are in the department all the time with those assaulted or under arrest and, frankly, worn out, overloaded and knackered staff.

We have been advised by our trust board to expect imminently a huge upswell in numbers as, whilst most infected with C19, there will be between 14 and 20% will need a bed and another 5% needing ITU beds. That means that our hospital will see hundreds more very ill people needing urgent care which we simply cannot offer.

The information we have from the senior management is laughable, we have a pod for C19 testing big enough for one patient and two clinicians. We also have 2...yes 2...hazmat suits to share among our doctors, nurses, HCAs and cleaning staff.

We are told to get on with it basically. But I know- and you should too- that if any of you get ill or need hospital care, even for a minor injury you will be waiting for a VERY long time to get it if the trajectory of this virus goes the way it’s predicted to.

Another point is that the Chinese reported that their frontline staff were decimated by Covid when it hit their hospitals with deaths among Young fit clinicians occurring far more frequently than they cared to report. The likely cause? Viral load. Massive exposure to the virus from multiple patients.

I have small kids. I am not worried for myself but them. I will be there tonight and whenever I’m needed because I love the NHS and believe that I’m obligated to help in this crisis.

But stop treating it like a joke or an inconvenience think of your doctors and nurses.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Do you have parents or grandparents?

Yes my father who also has an underlying condition. I’m worried about him but that doesn’t mean I’m not pragmatic and certainly not going to drive panic stricken behaviour. At the end of the day it’s likely lots of us will catch this thing, we all need to follow the hygiene rules and what will be will be.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
WTF? Where's the evidence that a week ago this was too strong, but it's suddenly mutated into something less strong, that is killing lots of people? You're just trying to cherry pick bits of information to make it look like you weren't wrong. It's not working.

There are two strains, the second one being very mild. It's on this very thread. Again, you just haven't bothered reading everything before wading in.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well I have no idea, but I would struggle to think of any significant business operations that I have been involved with that could successfully increase their volumes between 3 and 5 fold in a couple of weeks. I think it's just a further example of the total naivety and complete lack of experience of the current cabinet to announce something without finding out whether it's even viable :shrug:

With our " Just in Time " supply chains its going to be difficult to source 3-5 fold raw materials plus you might soon be losing 20% of staff at a time !..... Someone who has a company manufacturing hand gels and soaps was on the radio 2 days ago, he said it was getting difficult to get the industrial alcohol wholesale for sanitisers as every one wants it and he also said he can get the plastic bottles but not the pump dispenser lids as the factory in China has been shut down for 3 weeks !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

What's the feeling in the medical world about how far reached the spread already is? I've heard an immunologist and ambulance paramedic both say they reckon loads of people here have already had it. What's that based on?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I can’t do “I’m alright Jack” and, whilst I’m not suggesting you are, you seen somewhat blasé about this.

I’m not blasé I’m just being realistic and suggesting that media are whipping up a hysteria that people are responding to that is ultimately very unhelpful. The biggest factor in economic impact terms is ultimately people unnecessarily panicking into different behaviour patterns. Not going out, travelling, going to work, shopping etc We are bracing for an absolute hammering at work as people and business are cancelling planned travel.

Again huge sympathy with healthcare but people panicking will again increase

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Someone take that shovel off [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] :wink:

Shovel?

If it turns out there is indeed a milder strain out there that is highly infectious it will bare out everything I've been saying - lots of cases, vast numbers of them extremely mild.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Er, no. My standpoint from the get-go has been to let it play out, develop a level of herd immunity, let it die naturally in the warmer weather and work on a vaccine for next year. One of the big contradictions on here has been a group of people who want the country locked down to prevent something unpreventable.

My challenges with regards to the number of cases have always been to do with people's tendency to overstate the mortality rate. If it is highly infectious then it's almost certain not every case has been reported and therefore the lower end of the range that you told me was too low in itself would be accurate.

Respectfully. No one really knows the mortality rate. I’ve seen different numbers bandied about but the best information we have is between 1 and 5%. Spanish flu was 5% in 1918 and killed millions, admittedly often because of a secondary infection, so would knock the NHS for six. 1% translates to hundreds of thousands of extra admissions to hospital where we areleady running at close to 100% occupancy because of normal winter illness.

The NHS stands between us and this new virus. It’s already creaking at the seams.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shovel?

If it turns out there is indeed a milder strain out there that is highly infectious it will bare out everything I've been saying - lots of cases, vast numbers of them extremely mild.

You are going to keep digging aren’t you? :lolol:

We really do know **** all of the big picture...imo, it’s all guesswork. I hope it turns out that you are right though :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Respectfully. No one really knows the mortality rate.

Yep, I've been saying that for days.
The NHS stands between us and this new virus. It’s already creaking at the seams.

Indeed. Perhaps more examples of people getting exactly the government policy they voted for and not liking it will be just around the corner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here