Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Magoo MUST go - official ARS thread

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Uncle Buck said:
Talking about managers not players.

If a player is watched you can generally work out if they have the basics, not sure Turienzo was watched.

With unproven managers you are to an extent in the lap of the gods, look at Platt, did all the badges, fast tracked by the FA, but in fact useless as a manager. Where as somebody like Paul Jewell, journeyman player, but has done well in management at both Bradford and Wigan.

He was signed by Dick Knight thanks to the advice of Liam Brady, allegedly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
But I think the issue is bigger than staying up or going down.
I don't.
What issue is bigger than that ? If we stay up, wouldn't the ends justify the means ?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
I don't.
What issue is bigger than that ? If we stay up, wouldn't the ends justify the means ?

But if you stay up but all the decent players want out at the end of the season due to the fact they do not like the manager or his style it creates problems. Is his style of using the press to get his message across going to have issues when we start looking for new signings in the summer etc.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
If he keeps us up, he has done his job. But I think the issue is bigger than staying up or going down. There seem to be issues behind the scenes, which will happen at any club, but the fact that keep getting into the press is a real worry.

Praise Indeed.

Yet you would deny the guy the chance to carry on his work after three successful seasons because of nebulous 'issues', most of which 'get into the press' because of dissaffected fringe players who wont even be at the club next season.

Disappointed really, because your arguments are normally quite persuasive but this sounds like 'don't like him, never did and never will whatever we achieve'.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
mcshane in the 79th said:
If that\'s the case please can Ernest plan \"massive\" protests before every home and away game for the rest of the season?

It is NOT up to Ernest and his ARS to motivate the team into match winning performances its DOWN to the manager.

The fact that he (MAGOO) has to RELY on the threat of MASSIVE protests means that he is not cut out for the job.

Magoo OUT :angry: :angry: :angry:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sid James said:
Praise Indeed.

Yet you would deny the guy the chance to carry on his work after three successful seasons because of nebulous 'issues', most of which 'get into the press' because of dissaffected fringe players who wont even be at the club next season.

Disappointed really, because your arguments are normally quite persuasive but this sounds like 'don't like him, never did and never will whatever we achieve'.

The problem is, if he keeps us up he has done his job. But I just feel at times we achieve things despite him, rather than because of him. Last season when he got things correct it really worked, but he seems to have lost that this season with the exception of Palace away.

I do not like these constant snippets about the dressing room appearing in the press and I hate the way he seems to have to get the last word in everytime.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
But if you stay up but all the decent players want out at the end of the season due to the fact they do not like the manager or his style it creates problems. Is his style of using the press to get his message across going to have issues when we start looking for new signings in the summer etc.
McGhee went public in the press with Leon (after Leon went public with his thoughts on being subbed), and that was clearly the culmination of a fairly long-running feud with him that had been rumbling for a whille. But I don't consider it McGhee's "style" to use the press to get his message across. More often its the players who go moaning to the media when McGhee DARES to have the cheek or audacity of dropping them.

It seems to me the likes of McCammon,. Kuipers and (previously) Leon get a little too precious about being dropped from the team. If they knuckled down and got on with doing their f***ing jobs instead of gobbing off to the boss every time they don't agree with his selections, none of this shit would be in the press in the first place.

Last edited:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Easy 10 said:
...It seems to me the likes of McCammon,. Kuipers and (previously) Leon get a little too precious about being dropped from the team. If they knuckled down and got on with doing their f***ing jobs instead of gobbing off to the boss every time they don't agree with his selections, none of this shit would be in the press in the first place.

Sirely by being "precious" it proves that they are hungry to wear the stripes? Just the sort of people we want, and not those that see it as just a wage.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Easy 10 said:
McGhee went public in the press with Leon (after Leon went public with his thoughts on being subbed), and that was clearly the culmination of a fairly long-running feud with him that had been rumbling for a whille. But I don\'t consider it McGhee\'s \"style\" to use the press to get his message across. More often its the players who go moaning to the media when McGhee DARES to have the cheek or audacity of dropping them.

It seems to me the likes of McCammon,. Kuipers and (previously) Leon get a little too precious about being dropped from the team. If they knuckled down and got on with doing their f***ing jobs instead of gobbing off to the boss every time they don\'t agree with his selections, none of this shit would be in the press in the first place.

Nicely put :clap:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
McGhee went public in the press with Leon (after Leon went public with his thoughts on being subbed), and that was clearly the culmination of a fairly long-running feud with him that had been rumbling for a whille. But I don't consider it McGhee's "style" to use the press to get his message across. More often its the players who go moaning to the media when McGhee DARES to have the cheek or audacity of dropping them.

It seems to me the likes of McCammon,. Kuipers and (previously) Leon get a little too precious about being dropped from the team. If they knuckled down and got on with doing their f***ing jobs instead of gobbing off to the boss every time they don't agree with his selections, none of this shit would be in the press in the first place.

Hang on a minute, Knight went public after the Southampton bust up. However after the Wolves incident it was McGhee that went to the press to say he would not pick Knight until he apologised.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
The problem is, if he keeps us up he has done his job. But I just feel at times we achieve things despite him, rather than because of him. Last season when he got things correct it really worked, but he seems to have lost that this season with the exception of Palace away.

I do not like these constant snippets about the dressing room appearing in the press and I hate the way he seems to have to get the last word in everytime.

Palace away only ! Stretching the point a bit isn't it. Plymouth and Leeds at home didn't do it for you then.

Again these 'snippets' appear purely as a result of team selection or lack of. I would agree that there have been times when he might have risen above the sniping but then I would guess that is the result of a proud man's utter disbelief at people's complete lack of professionalism. Look at Carvalho's outburst at the beginning of the season, Mourinho's reaction doesn't look any different to McGhee's to me and yet the result is completely different. That is because they know Mourinho can afford to let them rot in the reserves whereas we don't have that luxury.

Frankly, it is an insult to all the players that do get on with it to suggest that these few gripers have genuine 'issues'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
Hang on a minute, Knight went public after the Southampton bust up. However after the Wolves incident it was McGhee that went to the press to say he would not pick Knight until he apologised.
No.
Knight went public when he threw his hissy fit in front of 7,000 people that night vs Wolves.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Woodchip said:
Sirely by being "precious" it proves that they are hungry to wear the stripes? Just the sort of people we want, and not those that see it as just a wage.
No, being "precious" proves nothing of the sort. All it proves is that they think they know better than the manager, that in their own opinion they consider themselves undroppable, and that they have a right to express it publically.

Nobody has a divine right to play in the 1st team - its something that has to be EARNED by every single player. The day McGhee starts pandering to hurt feelings and bruised egos in his selections is the day he will lose the dressing room completely.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
KinkyNormanBaker said:
Yep and how well did mcghee deal with that? not very.
The Leon vs McGhee debate has been done to death now, and always boils down not to Leons behaviour, but according to whether you are behind or against the manager. Can't really be arsed to go over all that again, but my opinion then stands now.

McGhee is the man in charge. If players accept that and get on with it without making assumptions about their claims for a place in the team, then this will all be a lot easier.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
The Leon vs McGhee debate has been done to death now, and always boils down not to Leons behaviour, but according to whether you are behind or against the manager. Can't really be arsed to go over all that again, but my opinion then stands now.

McGhee is the man in charge. If players accept that and get on with it without making assumptions about their claims for a place in the team, then this will all be a lot easier.

It has not, especially when in a LI style you start changing the facts. McGhee was the one that dragged that row into the press, not Knight.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:

Fair enough.

The thing about Kuipers is he has NEVER been like this before.

Leon, jarret and mccammon may have had a bit of a history, but kuipers? no

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here