Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Magoo MUST go - official ARS thread

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Ernest said:
you open an 'offical ARS' thread and then you have the nerve to moan about the contents :angry: :angry: :angry:

Thought you might have something original to say, but no.

Will try your posts again in 6 months, you may have grown up by then. Bye :nono:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Ernest said:
Dick Tight now has 3 days to do the RIGHT thing and SACK the Scot and if he doesn't then I promise no I GUARANTEE I will unleash a massive no a GIGANTIC protest on Saturday .

MAGOO MUST GO :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'm almost looking forward to Saturday now. If only it were true, we might actually see McGhee finally flatten someone.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Uncle Buck said:
Not forgetting, the old classic;

we have no right to be in this league.

We have every right to be in this league, we are struggling to stay in it that's all, but that's not news.

Any ideas on who McGhee's replacement should be?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Seagull73 said:
We have every right to be in this league, we are struggling to stay in it that's all, but that's not news.

yep.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Seagull73 said:

Ah another old favourite.

Well stock answer here, 92 league managers jobs, but a lot more than 92 managers jobs.

Everytime we have been looking for a manager, there has been quality in the applicants, so wait and see. When McGhee was appointed we interview a shortlist of Dowie, Cotterill, Rosenior and McGhee, so there were at least 2 quality options in there, the problem is we did not appoint one of them.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Uncle Buck said:
Ah another old favourite.

Well stock answer here, 92 league managers jobs, but a lot more than 92 managers jobs.

Everytime we have been looking for a manager, there has been quality in the applicants, so wait and see. When McGhee was appointed we interview a shortlist of Dowie, Cotterill, Rosenior and McGhee, so there were at least 2 quality options in there, the problem is we did not appoint one of them.

Rosenior, what the very same Leroy Rosenior that was sacked because Torquay are bottom of the entire football league?
Dowie, as yet untried at that time, and we wanted somebody with proven experience. I grant you, you could argue that he may have been a better option, but isn't hindsight wonderful.
Cotterill was assistant manager at Sunderland at the time, and too expensive for us to pay for.

But all that said and done, who is available now?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Uncle Buck said:

Were you complaining when he got us promoted to the Championship?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
DJ Leon said:
Were you complaining when he got us promoted to the Championship?

I was concerned that season with the way the football seemed to go backwards under him, but it got results, as a rule. However I have never been a fan of him as our manager. I felt at the time Dowie was the best appointment, but Knight likes to go for managers with a slightly damaged reputation.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Uncle Buck said:
I was concerned that season with the way the football seemed to go backwards under him, but it got results, as a rule. However I have never been a fan of him as our manager. I felt at the time Dowie was the best appointment, but Knight likes to go for managers with a slightly damaged reputation.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

What the hell are you talking about. Who else did he appoint with a damaged reputation. And Millwall were 9th when McGhee got sacked, I'd hardly call that reputation damaged.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Seagull73 said:
:angry: :angry: :angry:

What the hell are you talking about. Who else did he appoint with a damaged reputation. And Millwall were 9th when McGhee got sacked, I'd hardly call that reputation damaged.

OK. Adams, screwed over by Fulham, walked out on Swansea, sacked by Brentford after relegation.

Taylor, just been sacked by Leicester, reputation not exactly good after spending £5m on Akinbyi.

Coppell. Well Palace had sacked him twice, the Man City incident and then walking out on Brentford due to his usual bust up with Noades.

All had an element of damaged goods about them and all had something to prove and as a rule it has worked.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
OK. Adams, screwed over by Fulham, walked out on Swansea, sacked by Brentford after relegation.

Taylor, just been sacked by Leicester, reputation not exactly good after spending £5m on Akinbyi.

Coppell. Well Palace had sacked him twice, the Man City incident and then walking out on Brentford due to his usual bust up with Noades.

All had an element of damaged goods about them and all had something to prove and as a rule it has worked.
Thats got nothing to do with it.
ANY manager currently out of a job is "damaged goods" to an extent. All the good ones tend to be employed somewhere, and as Dick probably isn't keen on paying compensation, we're bound to be looking at unemployed managers who've not exactly got an unblemished track record of success. Its either that, or taking a chance on an complete unknown quantity who's got little or no managerial experience, which is always going to be a big gamble.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Thats got nothing to do with it.
ANY manager currently out of a job is "damaged goods" to an extent. All the good ones tend to be employed somewhere, and as Dick probably isn't keen on paying compensation, we're bound to be looking at managers who've not exactly got an unblemished track record of success. Its either that, or taking a chance on an complete unknown quantity who's got little or no managerial experience, which is always going to be a big gamble.

I am not saying it is a bad policy, but it seems to have been a factor on appointments and I am pretty sure Knight said something about this a few years ago.

Regarding gambles, what like Watford? or Brentford? or Colchester? or Southend? or Man City?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
I am not saying it is a bad policy, but it seems to have been a factor on appointments and I am pretty sure Knight said something about this a few years ago.

Regarding gambles, what like Watford? or Brentford? or Colchester? or Southend? or Man City?
Are you saying that instead of appointing McGhee, perhaps Dick should've gone for an unproven coach with no managerial experience ? Maybe someone who'd been involved at a coaching level for some time, but never actually sat in the hotseat ? Perhaps even someone who already knew the players, and just needed a chance to get the best out of them ?

I'm SURE we tried that once before you know...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Are you saying that instead of appointing McGhee, perhaps Dick should've gone for an unproven coach with no managerial experience ? Maybe someone who'd been involved at a coaching level for some time, but never actually sat in the hotseat ? Perhaps even someone who already knew the players, and just needed a chance to get the best out of them ?

I'm SURE we tried that once before you know...

How very Mr Smith your response is.

No I did not say that, what I was pointing out was that unproven does work, after all managers have to start somewhere.

Personally I would have appointed Dowie. He was not under contract at Oldham, so there was not a compensation issue.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
A large %age of ALbion fans wanted dowie but Knight went for the experience of McGhee, obviously in retrospect that was not the best choice as Dowie has since proved but to be fair if Dowie had come in he would have done well for a season and then got a decent job and left like so many before. Whereas Noone is interested in McGhee so we have at least some continuity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here