Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Madelaine McCann - do you still give a f***??

Do you care about Madelaine McCann anymore

• Yes - of course, the girl needs to be found

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • No - I'm with you mate, it's all a bit tiresome

Votes: 44 29.7%
  • I didn't give a f*** in the first place

Votes: 28 18.9%

• Total voters

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
captainmorganrum said:
But is their garden 200m long?
Do you leave your garden gate unlocked?
Do the public traipse through at all hours?

I don't know. But I do understand making judgements on the level of safety for our kids - and those are the types of thing you think about.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Mrs Coach said:
I'm hoping the little girl is found - the same way I do when I read in the argus that a local child has gone missing - and I hope the stupidity of the parents in leaving their children unattended has at least done some good in making others pay the measly £10 to get a babysitter while they go out for dinner. I bet it happens more than people would admit to - and I hope it stops now because of this poor little girl. I'm rather bemused by this visiting the pope and 'touring' of european countries. I think someone in the background is saying - "do whatever it takes to keep her face in the papers", irrespective of the flack they're going to take for it and I suppose they'll do anything if it means maybe someone will spot her somewhere because of an update news flash. I dont think they're thinking the pope visit would help for a minute, prayers and spiritually wise, - it's all about keeping the case publicised.

Quite.

And I remember the parents saying they opted not to use the babysitting facility because they didn't want the children to be looked after by strangers, but now they are leaving the other two children daily at the creche with the same staff who offer the baby sitting service. :(

It's a sad situation, I don't care any less now than I did when it first happened. Her parents chose not to parent their children in favour of a dinner with friends, now they are paying the ultimate price. I hope they have a happy ending. The media circus and coverage is tiresome. That eleven year old girl that went missing in Cambridge three days after Madeleine did is still missing and yet no more word on her :(

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Re: Re: Re: Madelaine McCann - do you still give a f***??

Simster said:
I think that's harsh. Yes kids do go missing, but it is very rare for kids to be snatched yards from where their parents were eating with the criminals forcing the door in order to do so.

I still care - but for the grace of god and all that...

YARDS....Dont you read the papers it was up the road, out of sight and round the corner. I hope for her safe return. SHAME on the parents who left her LOCKED in a room with INFANTS !!!

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
captainmorganrum said:
Starry
Is this the one you mean?
Good news, kinda!
http://tinyurl.com/3a7dyw

No it wasn't her, it was Gloucester, my mistake, but appears she was found alive and well two days ago, I was looking back through the missingkids thing at all the other children who have gone missing in the last two months and not one of those has been mentioned in the news :(

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Well I'm glad I provoked some decent discussion and some top drawer name calling.

Let's all hope she's okay and someone has learnt something from all of this.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Well I'm glad I provoked some decent discussion and some top drawer name calling.

Let's all hope she's okay and someone has learnt something from all of this.
I think we've all learnt that the media are more concerned about BB8 than missing kids in Gloucester (or any other part of this country for that matter).

captainmorganrum said:
Starry
Is this the one you mean?
Good news, kinda!
http://tinyurl.com/3a7dyw

Now you see I live about a 5 minute walk from where that girl lives, and I work on Mill Road, yet I had absolutely no idea that this girl had gone missing. In my local Tescos they had posters up with the details about Madelaine and how she'd gone missing and a picture and a phone number, yet nothing at all about this girl that had gone missing locally! Where is the sense in that?

The media (and subsequently the populace) have jumped onto this one case of a child going missing and made it into some huge daily news story, when realistically there is no news whatsoever. And they've done so at the cost of other stories like this. It's not the parents I blame for being in the media spotlight, they are doing whatever they can to find their daughter. It's not the people who are giving time and money to try to find her (although I'm not a great believer in charity, it's more about making yourself feel good then actually making a difference). It's the media, who are making this very very sad episode into a national sob story, in order to sell newspapers, and are forcing the friends and family to live out their lives and grief for the nation.

The media have jumped all over this for the following reasons:

1 - It happened on a really slow news day - public holiday - nothing much happening etc.
2 - originallyu - its a good stroy, lots of human interest, blonde, blue eyes, photogenic, young girl - pulls lots of heartstrings esp with the young mother GMT watching, daily mail reading part of the population
3 - Happened ini Portugal - nice and sunny out there - pissing down here in UK at the time - Get me out there quick.
4 - There's been nothing new to repiort since the original story broke which means they have to go back over old material or rely on the family (and presumably their advisors) to come with up with new stuff that keeps the story interesting for their editors, hence the trip to see the Pope in a big square.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
sten_super said:
Now you see I live about a 5 minute walk from where that girl lives, and I work on Mill Road, yet I had absolutely no idea that this girl had gone missing. In my local Tescos they had posters up with the details about Madelaine and how she'd gone missing and a picture and a phone number, yet nothing at all about this girl that had gone missing locally! Where is the sense in that?

The media (and subsequently the populace) have jumped onto this one case of a child going missing and made it into some huge daily news story, when realistically there is no news whatsoever. And they've done so at the cost of other stories like this. It's not the parents I blame for being in the media spotlight, they are doing whatever they can to find their daughter. It's not the people who are giving time and money to try to find her (although I'm not a great believer in charity, it's more about making yourself feel good then actually making a difference). It's the media, who are making this very very sad episode into a national sob story, in order to sell newspapers, and are forcing the friends and family to live out their lives and grief for the nation.

:clap:

...Though I must touch upon the 'making yourself feel good' part - because that's exactly what these band-wagon-jumping celebs have been doing in my opinion.

Last edited:

colinpants

IT CONSULTANT
Jan 24, 2005
it said in the scum the otherday just before they met the pope that it was the first time she had left her twins. Surely it was the second that she had left them.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
There are thousands of other missing people from this country, both kids and adults. What makes her more important than any of them?

Don't get me wrong, I hope she's found, but I can't understand what it is about her case that marks it out from any of the others.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I agree the parents seem more bothered about 'the campaign' than just being, well, devastated just now. But that must be their way of coping, and doubtless there will be a backlash when they actually do get some quiet time to themselves.

I wouldn't say I don't give a shit any more at all, but from a purely news sense I think the Pope visit is the end of the front pages until Madeleine is found, one way or the other.

The campaign from the dad has been remorseless, and for some reason slightly unnerving. But it was the same with Suzy lamplugh's mother Diana, and the dad of that boy blown up in Warrington.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Tooting Gull said:
I agree the parents seem more bothered about 'the campaign' than just being, well, devastated just now.
I think they have been told to show no emotion in case the kidnapper gets a thrill out of seeing their upset.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well seeing as how she's now presumed to be in Africa, a meeting between the McCanns and Nelson Mandela can only be DAYS away. After that, only Bono remains of the world leaders to bestow a blessing and all's done that can be done.

Easy to sneer, but if it was your kid, you'd try to do EXACTLY the same. You'd pull out all the stops you could.

The family deserve a happy ending.

Sadly tho, it don't look good at all.

I didn't give a shit from the start. Got my own problems in life. It's their fault for leaving them on their own.

What kind of parents leave their kids a sleep so they can have a romantic meal together? Problem with this couple is this they think the world is a peaceful and loving place and they're this family who are perfect. Welcome to the real world and hope that's a wake up call for Families who think they're perfect.

No one's perfect and that goes for some posters on here.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Are you losing interest in the starving in Africa as well. They do go on don`t they.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here