Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lua lua is coming

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
If we sign KLL he wont be the "special" signing , I still think there's a massive surprise in store.

Actually so do I, I can't explain it, just a feeling.

(this message is brought to you with no special sorce or insider information whatsoever)

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Every time I read the title of this thread I keep hearing that coca-cola Christmas advert that sings 'Holidays are coming'. And it's making me just as excited as that advert does.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Right so every good squad has 22 players and cover for all positions so please help me fill in the gaps to see where we are at....

Ankregan
-------------
Brezavan

Calderon Greer El Abd Painter
--------- ----------- ------------- -----------
Sampyaro (short term cover) Dunk ?
But Elphick when fit

Buckley Bridcutt Dicker Lua Lua
-------- --------- --------- ---------
J Smith Rodgers Kasim/Forster-Caskey Noone

Hoskins A.N Other
---------- ------------
Barnes Thjorbosson

Am trying not to get too excited but looks a decent squad to me. The 2 chelsea lads maybe having a season in the development squad so may not be part of the 22.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Right so every good squad has 22 players and cover for all positions so please help me fill in the gaps to see where we are at....

Ankregan
-------------
Brezavan

But Elphick when fit

Hoskins A.N Other
---------- ------------
Barnes Thjorbosson

Am trying not to get too excited but looks a decent squad to me. The 2 chelsea lads maybe having a season in the development squad so may not be part of the 22.

I would be a bit concerned if Toby was our 4th and last striker. If just one striker is suspended or injured then he'll be our option off the bench. I've not seen him play but as he hasn't played a senior game for us yet he obviously isn't quite ready for the 1st team yet.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
looks okish but for me,we are still going to struggle until we get another centre half,a keeper,centre mid,a two strikers,
im sorry to say,but the norwegian aint good enough end of,unless gus works the magic,but cant see it

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Ankregan
-------------
Brezavan

But Elphick when fit

Hoskins A.N Other
---------- ------------
Barnes Thjorbosson

Jimmy Mac, Jimmy, oh Jimmy Mac....

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
So our squad, on the premise Bennett goes to Norwich and LuaLua comes in, stands at (development squad/fringe in brackets):

GK: Ankergren Brezovan (Poke)

RB: Calderon
LB: Painter (McNulty)
CB: Greer El-Abd Elphick (Dunk Tunnicliffe)

DM: Bridcutt Dicker (Navarro)
CM: Sparrow (Smith Forster-Caskey)
AM/W: Buckley LuaLua Noone

ST: Hoskins Barnes (Agdestein)

I reckon then Gus has to be looking at
-a RB,
-a loan CB until Jan (until El-Abd & Elphick are back fully fit),
-a creative CM
-and 2 STs (a hold-up target man and an all-rounder)

Caskey/Smith are good squad players but neither yet the finished article, ditto Dunk at the back. Navarro we don't know yet whether he has a contract. I expect Toby to be 5th choice striker. Possibly we'll also be in for another adaptable defender if Tunnicliffe and/or McNulty are moved out on loan/released - they don't appear to be in Gus' plans even though I think McNulty in particular is up to the Championship.

It's shaping up to be a very solid Championship squad. My only concern is our defence doesn't have a huge amount of pace - Greer, El-Abd, Painter & Calderon were fantastic in L1 but our full-backs roaming from position combined with Gordon & Adam not being the most fleet of foot might just be our Achilles Heel. If the defenders are quick as well as comfortable on the ball as Gus prefers, we could be onto a winner!

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I think Jimmy Mac has a part to play this season. Gus keeps banging on about needing players with Championship experience, you can't get much better than one of our own players who played in the Championship just last season!
I'm not too concerned about left back cover, we just need someone at right back.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
So Lua Lua must assume he won't be in Newcastles starting line up, but this still depends on Newcastle accepting a fair fee. And they don't have to. Tony can only pay what he's worth.

If this season is anything to go by he will only start home games if he comes to the albion

SirElliotBennett

May 5, 2010
West Stand Lower
I would be a bit concerned if Toby was our 4th and last striker. If just one striker is suspended or injured then he'll be our option off the bench. I've not seen him play but as he hasn't played a senior game for us yet he obviously isn't quite ready for the 1st team yet.

I think we will have Hoskins, a new striker, Barnes and Buckley as a 4th
Otherwise we'll bring in 2 new strikers

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton

Ankregan
-------------
Brezavan

But Elphick when fit

Hoskins A.N Other
---------- ------------
Barnes Thjorbosson

Sparrow? Not at his best this season but have a feeling he'll play a part this year.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Agree we need a CB but disagree regarding Elphick, I have a feeling its Greer that simply isn't good enough.

No way. El Abd had a good season because he had Greer as support. He is out best CB by a long shot. Dunk is arguably already better than Elphick already who I'm afraid to say is just an average league one defender. I'm pretty sure time will prove me right aswell.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I wouldn't be surprised if Hoskins is earmarked for the subs bench, I reckon gus will defo bring in 2 other strikers

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
No way. El Abd had a good season because he had Greer as support. He is out best CB by a long shot. Dunk is arguably already better than Elphick already who I'm afraid to say is just an average league one defender. I'm pretty sure time will prove me right aswell.

As I remember it Greer couldnt get in the team for the first part of the season, it was only that incident against Bournemouth where they got a penalty when the ref judged Elphick to have handled the ball inside the area (which was obviously outside and maybe not even Elphicks hand) that gave Greer an in.
Time will tell though and The Championship (I Think) will show Greer to be our weakest link.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here