Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loyalty Contracts

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Ernest said:
The reason why these mistakes are made time and time again is because we have a chairman who knows f*** all about running a football club and a chief executive who knows even less about running a football club :angry: :angry: :angry:
Morning wise one! :wave:

Ernest said:
The reason why these mistakes are made time and time again is because we have a chairman who knows f*** all about running a football club and a chief executive who knows even less about running a football club :angry: :angry: :angry:
You haven't mentioned the Manager who knows how to run a youth team.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Les Biehn said:
Which is a situation which shows how it can also be problematic for the club.

Undoubtedly, but if this clause was not there, then who knows.

Hart might of got more games earlier found some form and his career is helped as well as Brighton fortunes last season.

I think that the clause is Bad for the club, but can be just be as Bad for the player.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
BigGully said:
Undoubtedly, but if this clause was not there, then who knows.

Hart might of got more games earlier found some form and his career is helped as well as Brighton fortunes last season.

I think that the clause is Bad for the club, but can be just be as Bad for the player.

I agree. Also if Hart played in more games and played well then there is every chance he will be offered a new contract.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I don't imagine someone like Kerry Mayo was in a position to play the club off against a better deal elsewhere.

He and Hart would have struggled to get picked up by other clubs even at League 1 level.

These clauses are STUPID.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Les Biehn said:
I agree. Also if Hart played in more games and played well then there is every chance he will be offered a new contract.

Exactly, a new unrestrictive contract.

Based on merit and built on confidence, its the only way. His agent has not been clever, nor have the club.

The agent has restricted Gary Harts career and has probably condemned him to non-league football from seaon 08/09.

How old is he by the way ??

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Les Biehn said:
30 I believe.

Might be resigned to bowing out of the pro game anyways, so he might feel content with the deal.

But we must remember that this clause has been in their contracts for some time now, so it might of been a hindrance at any of the previous seasons.

He got lucky, still a silly silly clause.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
This thread is stupid, a lot of you are assuming that Mayo and Hart wouldn't have been offered a new contract had it not been for the clauses in their contracts.

Certainly in the case of Mayo it seems fairly obvious to me that the amount of times he has been a first choice in the team was indicative that he would be offered a new contract irrespective of the clause.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Curious Orange said:
This thread is stupid, a lot of you are assuming that Mayo and Hart wouldn't have been offered a new contract had it not been for the clauses in their contracts.

Certainly in the case of Mayo it seems fairly obvious to me that the amount of times he has been a first choice in the team was indicative that he would be offered a new contract irrespective of the clause.

And irrespective of the fact we have given contracts to TWO young left-backs who are both BETTER and have Lynch and Reid who can also play there...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Curious Orange said:

This post is stupid, you are assuming that Mayo and Hart would have been offered a new contract despite the clauses in their contracts.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Richie Morris said:
And irrespective of the fact we have given contracts to TWO young left-backs who are both BETTER and have Lynch and Reid who can also play there...

Also makes me wonder if this is why Paul Hinshelwood was released as well.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Curious Orange said:

Maybe thats another reason not to have the clause then...:lolol:

It looks likely that Hart especially, but probably both, would not have been retained.

There isn't any assumption regarding all the other retained players.......why ?...they dont have this clause !!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:
Player A wants two years, or he is off. His club only wants to take a punt for a year. There is deadlock. 'OK', says the club 'we'll give you one year, and you can have a second year provided you play X games this season...'

It gives the player in question no guarantee whatsoever that he will get that second year, but it does focus his mind on getting into the team.

Or tell said player to find another club

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Kinky Gerbils said:
Or tell said player to find another club
Well, you could. But in offering them a year, it implies that the club is happy to retain his services, with better conditions than merely one year.

What comes across as evident is that the management at the club rates Kerry Mayo far higher than many fans do. And there is more to Kerry's contribution than hoofing the ball into touch.

The disproportionate amount of abuse he gets is unjustified. He is a far better player than many make out. I have heard people slagging off Mayo for excellent tackles, pinpoint crosses and good through-balls. And yes, he does do them on a regular basis. He is definitely NOT shit. I know some people what point-blank refuse to believe this, but hey-ho. This blind-spot to go ballsitic at his mistakes when others can - and do - do much worse yet get away with the abuse leaves me scratching my head, thinking 'what has he done? Shat on the pitch? Shagged their dog? Burned down their house?'

Fact is, Kerry Mayo will be playing for Brighton & Hove Albion next season. Get used to the idea.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Occasionally Mayo does make a good tackle, put in a decent cross or a nice through ball. Trouble is more than any other defender at the club he is caught out physically, technically and tactically. Which wouldn't be so bad if it was every now and again but it is more regular than that.

I have nothing personal against Mayo at all, think he has been a great servant to the club and even think he looks passable playing in the holding role but the fact is he isn't good enough as a defender which is what we have signed him for.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
If you were the Chairman of a cash-strapped football club and had the choice of offereing a player, say, £1000 a week with a guaranteed extension of the contract for another year, if the manager selected him for 23 league games, OR £1200 a week with no guaranteed extension, which would you prefer?

And if you were the Player? Would you rather have £1200 a week for a year, or a chance of earning £1000 a week for two years?

And if you were the Player's Agent, which deal would you push for?

Trying to defend another extremely poor decision by the club... Mayo has been poor for many, many seasons, but we are forced to extend his contract, which means we can't spend our limited resources elsewhere... a fcuking disaster for a club in our financial position... end of story... full-stop... the end...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here