Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loyalty Contracts

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
Player A wants two years, or he is off. His club only wants to take a punt for a year. There is deadlock. 'OK', says the club 'we'll give you one year, and you can have a second year provided you play X games this season...'

It gives the player in question no guarantee whatsoever that he will get that second year, but it does focus his mind on getting into the team.

Or... club says... ok, go... and gains some valuable money to spend on someone who can actually play lb at l1 level...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
But take the example of a young player, with promise.

What would you do then?

Mayo is not young and has no promise...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:

Whenever you point out that Mayo had an offer from another club I find it (a) very difficult to understand and (b) very frustrating that he didn't accept and leave... :angry: :angry: :censored: :censored:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
Or... club says... ok, go... and gains some valuable money to spend on someone who can actually play lb at l1 level...
But the club wants him. The fact that you don't want him is your heartache, not the club's.

What baffles me is how come Steve Gritt, Brian Horton, Micky Adams, Peter Taylor, Steve Coppell, Mark McGhee and Dean Wilkins have got it so horribly wrong in picking Kerry Mayo. They must all have a forgiving nature, I suppose.

Mayo CAN play at left-back at this level and does make a decent fist of it. I almost feel sorry for people who have this blind-spot by refusing to acknowledge the good things has can and does contribute to the team. I haven't seen to many better left-backs in this division who are battering down the door to play for the club.

'Kerry's shit, and he's going to have a shit game' is the sentiment - the bloke next to me at Withdean is like it every game. Lo and behold, he slags off every aspect of his game. He HATES it when Mayo plays well - you could his contrition is with a knife when he does. 'f***ing hell, look at the way he cleanly won that ball and passed it to Hammond in a bit of space - that was f***ing appalling Mayo, you utter disgrace...' etc.

So the justification of Mayo's contract is well made. I just suppose NSC always needs a target.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
Well, you could. But in offering them a year, it implies that the club is happy to retain his services, with better conditions than merely one year.

What comes across as evident is that the management at the club rates Kerry Mayo far higher than many fans do. And there is more to Kerry's contribution than hoofing the ball into touch.

The disproportionate amount of abuse he gets is unjustified. He is a far better player than many make out. I have heard people slagging off Mayo for excellent tackles, pinpoint crosses and good through-balls. And yes, he does do them on a regular basis. He is definitely NOT shit. I know some people what point-blank refuse to believe this, but hey-ho. This blind-spot to go ballsitic at his mistakes when others can - and do - do much worse yet get away with the abuse leaves me scratching my head, thinking 'what has he done? Shat on the pitch? Shagged their dog? Burned down their house?'

Fact is, Kerry Mayo will be playing for Brighton & Hove Albion next season. Get used to the idea.

Why you defend this clown, I will never know...

He is too slow...
He is often caught out of position...
His distribution is woeful, with frequent slices into touch...
Central defenders have to cover his ar$e and get pulled out of the centre...
In short, he is a complete liability...

You are the one with the blind dpot, IMHO...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:
But the club wants him. The fact that you don't want him is your heartache, not the club's.

What baffles me is how come Steve Gritt, Brian Horton, Micky Adams, Peter Taylor, Steve Coppell, Mark McGhee and Dean Wilkins have got it so horribly wrong in picking Kerry Mayo. They must all have a forgiving nature, I suppose.

Mayo CAN play at left-back at this level and does make a decent fist of it. I almost feel sorry for people who have this blind-spot by refusing to acknowledge the good things has can and does contribute to the team. I haven't seen to many better left-backs in this division who are battering down the door to play for the club.

'Kerry's shit, and he's going to have a shit game' is the sentiment - the bloke next to me at Withdean is like it every game. Lo and behold, he slags off every aspect of his game. He HATES it when Mayo plays well - you could his contrition is with a knife when he does. 'f***ing hell, look at the way he cleanly won that ball and passed it to Hammond in a bit of space - that was f***ing appalling Mayo, you utter disgrace...' etc.

So the justification of Mayo's contract is well made. I just suppose NSC always needs a target.

Maybe you are right about mayo being an easy target.
However he was second choice behind Harding for most the time and I get the feeling Mcghee was looking to ring a left back in when Harding left.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:

Firstly, you don't know the club wants him... because of the fuckwit clause, the club were forced to retain his services...

Secondly, Mayo has played well, but a very long time ago (you quote too many managers there!)... you do not offer new contracts on performances many, many seasons ago...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

It wasn't one club - I understand it was three. One in the Championship and two in League One. But that's not confirmed.

Now you are really sticking the knife in and twisting it... I'm in agony! :lolol:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
Maybe you are right about mayo being an easy target.
However he was second choice behind Harding for most the time and I get the feeling Mcghee was looking to ring a left back in when Harding left.

Spot on... and I always backed-up Harding, who was the one that really sufferred unfairly at the hands of NSC posters...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
Why you defend this clown, I will never know...

He is too slow...
He is often caught out of position...
His distribution is woeful, with frequent slices into touch...
Central defenders have to cover his ar$e and get pulled out of the centre...
In short, he is a complete liability...

You are the one with the blind dpot, IMHO...
Slow? Yup. Like Butters. And Gatting.

Caught out of position? Conjecture. Really. Actually, his positional sense is oodles better than Harding's was. Now there was someone who went AWOL. Mayo actually has very good positional sense. 350 game for the Albion has taught him that.

Woeful distribution? No better or worse than the other full-backs. A few bad balls, but others are equally guilty. Good passes are conveniently forgotten when it comes to justifying an agenda.

Central defenders...? It's one of their roles. They have to when, for example, the left midfielder is AWOL.

Liability? Conjecture.

When I say 'blind spot', you have just highlighted your own blind spot. All the negative qualities you have mentioned, other full-backs - including right-backs - often play bad passes, but only Mayo gets screamed at. You only see Mayo's deficiencies, and no-one else's.

Mayo is still good in the air, very good in the tackle (he certainly never bottles them), good communicator, a 90-minute workhorse, never anonymous, excellent throw-ins, good corner-taker (yes, really), good help to the youngsters. That's not a blind spot, that's acknowledging someone's contribution.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:

Don't be baffled, just stop assuming that people who say Mayo shouldn't have got a contract think that he never deserved a contract ever.

If we sign a 50 year old who was fantastic in his day and played for England would you argue that the managers who played him can't be wrong so we are right in signing him now?

For the past fews seasons he hasn't looked up to it. Harding was in ahead of him under McGhee, and Rents, a young player on his first contract has pushed him hard for the position this year.

Still I'm sure we are all just making it up because we hate Kerry. Just one question TLO, can you tell me what the motive is behind our anti-Kerry agenda. I would love to hear it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
Firstly, you don't know the club wants him... because of the fuckwit clause, the club were forced to retain his services...
And why do you think the clause was placed there? By way of saying that if you play enough, we'll have you back. Meaning, of course, that the club wants him.

If the club really weren't prepared to want and retain him, they wouldn't have agreed to the clause in question - they'd have told Mayo to sling his hook. Pertinently, they didn't.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:

Caught out of position? Conjecture. Really. Actually, his positional sense is oodles better than Harding's was. Now there was someone who went AWOL. Mayo actually has very good positional sense. 350 game for the Albion has taught him that.

Woeful distribution? No better or worse than the other full-backs. A few bad balls, but others are equally guilty. Good passes are conveniently forgotten when it comes to justifying an agenda.

Once again, explain why people would have an agenda.

His positional sense and distribution are erratic, sometimes ok, sometimes bad. Trouble is when they are bad they are very bad. It's your pro-club agenda that makes you have this blind spot.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:
On a professional basis, to me, it's the misguided belief his is not good enough for this division. I happen to disagree.
Thats it. That seems an odd reason for an agenda. Suddenly loads of fans got together and agreed he wasn't good enough for this division. Very weak argument TLO.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Les Biehn said:
Once again, explain why people would have an agenda.

His positional sense and distribution are erratic, sometimes ok, sometimes bad. Trouble is when they are bad they are very bad. It's your pro-club agenda that makes you have this blind spot.
Pro-club agenda? What sort of statment is that? I'd like to think every Brighton fan has a pro-club agenda. One thing automatically means the other.

You're saying positional sense and distribution are erratic - others are saying he is total shit. Now, which one am I supposed to reply to?

I don't have a blind spot - I am prepared to believe (no, I DO believe) that Kerry Mayo is good enough for Brighton in this division. That's not blind faith, it's a considered opinion.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:
Pro-club agenda? What sort of statment is that? I'd like to think every Brighton fan has a pro-club agenda. One thing automatically means the other.

Ok, let me rephrase that, you have a super fan agenda. No decision made by the management team is ever wrong.

The Large One said:
You're saying positional sense and distribution are erratic - others are saying he is total shit. Now, which one am I supposed to reply to?

Up to you. Nice dodge of my question though;)

The Large One said:
I don't have a blind spot - I am prepared to believe (no, I DO believe) that Kerry Mayo is good enough for Brighton in this division. That's not blind faith, it's a considered opinion.

Well thats conclusive then. You have no blind spot and yours is considered opinion. Just one question how can you say others have a blind spot but you don't? Why is your judgement final?Also is my argument not considered? I haven't ripped into Kerry, just stated my case.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Les Biehn said:
Thats it. That seems an odd reason for an agenda. Suddenly loads of fans got together and agreed he wasn't good enough for this division. Very weak argument TLO.
That was only part of the argument.

It's the whole package that people come up with - 'the club's shit, the club's wrong, the club's got no ambition, Kerry's shit, he's f***ing useless, the whole thing's a joke, what fuckwit thought to keep him here' why can't he f*** off to another club?' etc etc. (Go and look up the quotes) Way over the top stuff to say they don't agree with Kerry's retention.

To say they don't agree with it is one thing, to damn the club, the player, the management team with abuse to me carries the hallmark of an anti-Kerry agenda - i.e. there must always be a scapegoat for our malaise. That's what's baffling me. He has come to represent a microcosm of our frustrations over, well, everything.

In my opinion, Kerry is better than those people are making out, and the abuse on here about it is not merited.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here