Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loyalty Contracts

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Goodfella said:
Agree, the problem with Kerry is when he has a bad game, it's really bad, and only gets remembered for this, he can put in a great performance at times.

I do think he has been kept on because of his experience, and the fact that it's his testimonial, you cant very well give him that, then tell him to "f*** Off" or can you?

Why not? Was he not paid in those 10 years he played for the club?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I'm still trying to work out why thinking Mayo isn't good enough is a sign of an agenda against him or the club. Firstly why is it Mayo who a large portion of the fans have deemed not good enough for no reason and secondly why if people have a problem with the club has Mayo become a focal point for that?

None of it makes sense.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
But it is NOW that is the issue, not when the contract with the offending clause was inserted... flawed logic / bias from you, I'm afraid...
No flaw or bias on that particular issue - just making a comment on one possible sense of reasoning behind the club's decision to agree with the contract.

Mayo was given a one-year contract. Conversely, the alternative stance could say that he was given a conditional two-year contract - which in effect he was. If it was a straight two-year contract, would we be having this discussion then?

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:
No flaw or bias on that particular issue - just making a comment on one possible sense of reasoning behind the club's decision to agree with the contract.

Mayo was given a one-year contract. Conversely, the alternative stance could say that he was given a conditional two-year contract - which in effect he was. Would we be having this discussion then?

Might be asking why he was given 2 years in the first place.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
I've answered your question so we can now continue the debate? Jolly good. Jesus, and I get accused of being judgemental...

If your argument is 6 or 7 stinkers in a season constitutes a liability (it may do, it may not do), then in that case I can still think of others less deserving of a contract. So where's the debate on them?

I, on the other hand, will consider his (and everyone else's of course) positive contributions to the game, for they are many - if that's alright. :)

Many, in your opinion... he used to have a good long throw, and... er... :lolol:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:

Mayo was given a one-year contract. Conversely, the alternative stance could say that he was given a conditional two-year contract - which in effect he was. If it was a straight two-year contract, would we be having this discussion then?

They didn't give him a straight 2 years, since they didn't think that he merited it...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Les Biehn said:
I'm still trying to work out why thinking Mayo isn't good enough is a sign of an agenda against him or the club. Firstly why is it Mayo who a large portion of the fans have deemed not good enough for no reason and secondly why if people have a problem with the club has Mayo become a focal point for that?

None of it makes sense.
Evidently. You are asking two questions which are about two separate issues, one of which doesn't necessarily lead on to the other, though some are blurring the issues.

Why many fans don't think Mayo is good enough is down to them. I happen to disagree on many counts - though agree on some others - and I've already explained why.

As for the second point, I've merely highlighted the thinking behind some fans' reasoning - based on what they themselves have listed on here. You'd again have to ask them why Mayo has become a microcosm of the perception of the club's malaise.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:
Evidently. You are asking two questions which are about two separate issues, one of which doesn't necessarily lead on to the other, though some are blurring the issues.

Why many fans don't think Mayo is good enough is down to them. I happen to disagree on many counts - though agree on some others - and I've already explained why.

As for the second point, I've merely highlighted the thinking behind some fans' reasoning - based on what they themselves have listed on here. You'd again have to ask them why Mayo has become a microcosm of the perception of the club's malaise.

You put those ideas forward and I am yet to see you give a valid reason for them.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:
Sorry, you're going to have to explain that post.

You have offered no decent reason as to why certain fans have an agenda against Mayo or why they treat him as a microcosm of their dislike for the club.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Les Biehn said:
You have offered no decent reason as to why certain fans have an agenda against Mayo or why they treat him as a microcosm of their dislike for the club.
I know, because you'd have to ask them. You can understand moaning at or about a player when he does something wrong, but when he does something well, people still berate him.

They don't deliberately treat him as a microcosm of their dislike for the club - but you get posts saying that the club has no ambition, or that the club is a joke or the club is shit BECAUSE they've re-signed Mayo. i.e. the club is shit because they field Mayo, who is shit...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:
I know, because you'd have to ask them. You can understand moaning at or about a player when he does something wrong, but when he does something well, people still berate him.

So basically you are dismissing the reason that they may not think he is good enough and assuming they have an agenda but can't give any reasons why they would have it.

The Large One said:
They don't deliberately treat him as a microcosm of their dislike for the club - but you get posts saying that the club has no ambition, or that the club is a joke or the club is shit BECAUSE they've re-signed Mayo. i.e. the club is shit because they field Mayo, who is shit...

I would suggest they don't think the club is shit BECAUSE of Mayo but rather he is repsentative of a problematic attitude within the club. Now I would just like to point out I don't agree with this, I think the club is run fairly well given the constraints but the offering of the clause in Mayo's contract was a mistake.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Les Biehn said:
So basically you are dismissing the reason that they may not think he is good enough and assuming they have an agenda but can't give any reasons why they would have it.
Absolute rubbish. I didn't say that in the slightest. You are out of order for deliberately twisting the meaning of what I am saying. I'm not answering that point because it is such gibberish.

I have explained my opinion and you have either (a) misunderstood it or (b) made a point of mis-construing it for a reason I have yet to work out.

Les Biehn said:
I would suggest they don't think the club is shit BECAUSE of Mayo but rather he is repsentative of a problematic attitude within the club.
That's exactly what I said first time round.

Some take it further still and use the Mayo issue to further crucify the club. And there are those that do do that.

Les Biehn said:
Now I would just like to point out I don't agree with this, I think the club is run fairly well given the constraints but the offering of the clause in Mayo's contract was a mistake.
Fine, that's your opinion, and, aside from that last part, I basically agree. I was merely commenting on other people who don't agree with this second part, and this club is run badly.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:
Absolute rubbish. I didn't say that in the slightest. You are out of order for deliberately twisting the meaning of what I am saying. I'm not answering that point because it is such gibberish.

I have explained my opinion and you have either (a) misunderstood it or (b) made a point of mis-construing it for a reason I have yet to work out.

Well I would suggest you haven't made your point well enough because that is the way it is coming across. Still all that the post is 'gibberish' and 'You are out of order' crap is a nice get out from clarifying your point.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Les Biehn said:
Well I would suggest you haven't made your point well enough because that is the way it is coming across. Still all that the post is 'gibberish' and 'You are out of order' crap is a nice get out from clarifying your point.
The point doesn't need clarifying. It's perfectly simple. But seeing as you think it does...

Is that not the behaviour of someone who has an agenda? The agenda being that Kerry Mayo is shit, and that nothing good he does is of any consequence.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:
The point doesn't need clarifying. It's perfectly simple. But seeing as you think it does...

Is that not the behaviour of someone who has an agenda? The agenda being that Kerry Mayo is shit, and that nothing good he does is of any consequence.

Thats a deference of the question in the first past and an assumption in the second.

You're like that kid at school who actually spends more time and effort getting out of doing work than actually doing it. Just admit you have no decent motive for an Anti Mayo agenda.

From what I can tell people only have a go at Mayo when he hasn't played well. I don't agree with having a go at a player, especially one who tries so hard. But that still doesn't take away from him not being good enough.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The Large One said:

Stop talking out of your arse.Mayo is crap end of story.He costs us far more points then probably any other player.He is far to slow and lacks any skill.He has been like it for ages now.Every player has a good game but Mayo has about 20 shit games before he has a decent one

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
Thats just not true, I dont rate him much but if he has a good game I dont mind admitting it - the same as most.

Spot on.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Kinky Gerbils said:
Thats just not true, I dont rate him much but if he has a good game I dont mind admitting it - the same as most.
It is VERY true.

It might not be true for you, it might not be true for most, but then I wasn't specifically commenting on your opinions alone. You should hear some people in ultra-moany D Block (I can say that 'cos I sit there). But even they end up getting told to shut up and 'try supporting the team' by those around them.

They are the ones I'm commenting on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here