Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loyalty Contracts

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Originally posted by Yorkie Are the fans more knowlegeable than professional managers? [/B]

I'd like to think I've got more knowledge than most managers. I might struggle against Copple but I'd back my wits against MaGoo every time.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:
I have proof - as do you. It's written on this thread.

I'll leave you to go and find it.

No, looked through and can't find me suggesting anyone else is biased apart from saying you have a super fan agenda as a counter point to you assuming some sort of anti Mayo/anti club agenda that you still can't come up with a decent motive for.

It is terribly tiresome debating with you TLO, it's like LI without the histrionics.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Les Biehn said:
No, looked through and can't find me suggesting anyone else is biased apart from saying you have a super fan agenda as a counter point to you assuming some sort of anti Mayo/anti club agenda that you still can't come up with a decent motive for.

It is terribly tiresome debating with you TLO, it's like LI without the histrionics.
Super-fan agenda? And you have the neck to call me judgemental? Do explain what it means, then explain how I fit into it. No really, please do.

I have also stated with what I see, hear and experience regards the anti-Mayo diatribes - again you have overlooked those comments. As for the motives - at the risk of making you feel even more 'tired' (diddums), and repeating myself ad nauseum - you'd have to ask the people in question, something I've also already stated.

Why you keep saying I haven't could easily be seen as an indication of either something quite sinister, or a spectacular lack of thought and reasoning. I'll work out which it is later. Or perhaps not. Maybe you might be able to enligten me yourself. But tehen, those are your issues, I suppose. The fact you find me tiresome is, I'd suggest, also your problem.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You seem to think everyone that doesnt rate Mayo has a bias against him, so thats pretty much everyone apart from you, Yorkie and a few others.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:
Super-fan agenda? And you have the neck to call me judgemental? Do explain what it means, then explain how I fit into it. No really, please do.

The Large One said:
I just suppose NSC always needs a target.

The Large One said:

I, on the other hand, will consider his (and everyone else's of course) positive contributions to the game, for they are many - if that's alright. :)

The first comment there condems everyone else who posts on here and the second one, which followed closely behind, is you highlighting what a great fan you are.

Does being realistic make you negative?

This also follows on to the second part of your post. You have named a few examples of stuipid fans (who I have acknowledged exist) but then suggest some wide spread anti-Mayo agenda that you have no proof for.

The Large One said:
I have also stated with what I see, hear and experience regards the anti-Mayo diatribes - again you have overlooked those comments. As for the motives - at the risk of making you feel even more 'tired' (diddums), and repeating myself ad nauseum - you'd have to ask the people in question, something I've also already stated.

Why you keep saying I haven't could easily be seen as an indication of either something quite sinister, or a spectacular lack of thought and reasoning. I'll work out which it is later. Or perhaps not. Maybe you might be able to enligten me yourself. But tehen, those are your issues, I suppose. The fact you find me tiresome is, I'd suggest, also your problem.

'Sinister', 'spectacular lack', 'issues'. It appears you find it easier to load your post with insinuations rather than actually provide me with the proof of this widespread anti-Mayo agenda. This is why it is tiresome debating with you TLO.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Kinky Gerbils said:
You seem to think everyone that doesnt rate Mayo has a bias against him, so thats pretty much everyone apart from you, Yorkie and a few others.
No, I didn't say that. Don't bring yourself down to Les' level by putting words into my mouth.

As I stated on this thread earlier, whether Mayo is good enough for a new contract, and the grief he gets from some poeple are two separate issues.

There are many who don't rate him, and they explain why. In certain cases I agree or disagree as appropriate to the charge.

Then there's the people who give him abuse for absolutely everything, even when he does stuff well - and use him as an allegory of the club's problems. These are the ones I accuse of bias. Why those people do that, as I have said three or four times already - I don't know, you would have to ask them.

What is apparent though is a couple of things. Just because someone doesn't understand that mindset and wants an explanation or a motive for it does not mean it doesn't happen. Similarly, just because they don't hear or see it again doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

To keep asking for an explanation for it is really just going round in circles - I don't know the answer.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:
No, I didn't say that. Don't bring yourself down to Les' level by putting words into my mouth.

To keep asking for an explanation for it is really just going round in circles - I don't know the answer.

Nice one for that first sentence TLO, if you don't have an answer just try and smear the other person.

I don't even necessarily want a factual answer, a plausible hypothesis as to why you think there is a widespread anti-Mayo agenda would be nice. One I could engage with and that would allow me to see your reasoning behind it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Les Biehn said:
The first comment there condems everyone else who posts on here and the second one, which followed closely behind, is you highlighting what a great fan you are.

Does being realistic make you negative?

This also follows on to the second part of your post. You have named a few examples of stuipid fans (who I have acknowledged exist) but then suggest some wide spread anti-Mayo agenda that you have no proof for.

'Sinister', 'spectacular lack', 'issues'. It appears you find it easier to load your post with insinuations rather than actually provide me with the proof of this widespread anti-Mayo agenda. This is why it is tiresome debating with you TLO.
OK, let's thake this bit by bit.

The first point about the NSC target is a jocular aside. It's not a backtrack, it's a lapse into the vernacular for when NSC - at times - can appear be on a witch hunt. Does being realistic make me negative? Not necessarily, not any more than being negative makes be realistic. But this hardly enters into the realms of superfandom. At least, not my interpretation of superfan - you haven't explained your interpretation, even though I did ask.

Your paragraph starting 'This also...' slightly contradicts itself. You acknowledge 'stupid fans' behaviour (your words, not mine), implying that you believe there are some people who are out of order in their criticism and grief towards Kerry, correct? Then state that there is no evidence of an anti-Mayo agenda. From what I and others around me hear at Withdean, I can ascertain that one leads on from the other. So, for you, which one is it?

Also, I never said that it was widespread - yet in the same post, you have said twice that I did (try and find out where I said that - I have not even implied it, I said it exists).

So if you really don't want to debate with me, why are you bothering?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
The bottom line about the contract is that he had to be selected by the manager for a certain amount of games (ie half of them)
Kerry has been consistently selected by every manager over the last 10 years. When Adams had his big clear out, he kept Kerry.
Are the fans more knowlegeable than professional managers?

What is the point of a message board if people can't post their opinions because they are less knowledgeable than 'professional managers'?

Also, the key points for me are:

1. Who put that stupid clause in Kerry's contract? Dick Knight?
2. Would Wendy have kept Kerry THIS SEASON (not several seasons ago) had the cluse NOT been in his contract? I would guess that he wouldn't, but I don't know...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Les Biehn said:
Nice one for that first sentence TLO, if you don't have an answer just try and smear the other person.

I don't even necessarily want a factual answer, a plausible hypothesis as to why you think there is a widespread anti-Mayo agenda would be nice. One I could engage with and that would allow me to see your reasoning behind it.
One, I don't think it is widespread - I never said nor implied that I believed it was. So that's putting words into my mouth for one.

There's no point making up a hypothesis because it's not one I could necessarily back up - anyone could drive holes through the argument, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree, so the debate would be pointless.

I could argue that people believe he is shit and that he has no place a this club. That's one opinion, and though I disagree with it, I do have to respect that opinion. What I can't get my head around is those who take it a stage further, and dish out the abuse and grief to the level that it is at, and I am struggling to come up with that particular hypothesis as to why.

Simply, I just don't know why people have an agenda against Kerry. You will have to ask them.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Large One said:
OK, let's thake this bit by bit.

Does it make you feel clever being so patronising?

The Large One said:
The first point about the NSC target is a jocular aside. It's not a backtrack, it's a lapse into the vernacular for when NSC - at times - can appear be on a witch hunt. Does being realistic make me negative? Not necessarily, not any more than being negative makes be realistic. But this hardly enters into the realms of superfandom. At least, not my interpretation of superfan - you haven't explained your interpretation, even though I did ask.

'Jocilar aside', it really doesn't come across that way, perhaps you should have made it clear.

The second part is my fault, I meant the collective 'you', as in anyone being realistic.

The Large One said:
Your paragraph starting 'This also...' slightly contradicts itself. You acknowledge 'stupid fans' behaviour (your words, not mine), implying that you believe there are some people who are out of order in their criticism and grief towards Kerry, correct? Then state that there is no evidence of an anti-Mayo agenda. From what I and others around me hear at Withdean, I can ascertain that one leads on from the other. So, for you, which one is it?

Some examples of stupid fans. i.e 2 or 3 examples - Widespread Anti-Mayo agenda. Unless the 2-3 fans you have mentioned constitutes widespread I see no contradiction.

The Large One said:
Also, I never said that it was widespread - yet in the same post, you have said twice that I did (try and find out where I said that - I have not even implied it, I said it exists).

Putting words in my mouth there TLO. I said you have suggested it is widespread through comments such as this;

The Large One said:
What comes across as evident is that the management at the club rates Kerry Mayo far higher than many fans do. And there is more to Kerry's contribution than hoofing the ball into touch.

The Large One said:
So if you really don't want to debate with me, why are you bothering?

Once again putting words in my mouth TLO, I said it was tiresome, not that I didn't want to debate it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here