Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Losing Carole is a f king disaster

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Doubt it. Think it was to with Tony Bloom wanting MM out for being crap, so a compromise was reached by promoting Wilkins to work alongside him. Someone who can obviously coach.

LI actually predicted this before it happened.

Im fairly sure that DW would have gone if he had not been given more of a first team role. There were a few clubs sniffing around last year for him to be their youth team coach and the only way to keep him was to promote him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Doubt it. Think it was to with Tony Bloom wanting MM out for being crap, so a compromise was reached by promoting Wilkins to work alongside him. Someone who can obviously coach.

LI actually predicted this before it happened.

That has to be right... and I think T Bloom will be asking for MM's head by about 12 games in if we are not in or near the playoff's...

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Disaster? Nah.

Carole's one of those players who looks unstoppable when the team's playing well as a whole and the going's good. When we were facing the cold, hard reality of relegation, he went missing. Add to that terrible crossing and generally questionable distribution, and I wouldn't be too fussed to see him go, especially if we got a fee.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Repugnant Toad said:
Disaster? Nah.

Carole's one of those players who looks unstoppable when the team's playing well as a whole and the going's good. When we were facing the cold, hard reality of relegation, he went missing. Add to that terrible crossing and generally questionable distribution, and I wouldn't be too fussed to see him go, especially if we got a fee.

are you suggesting he would have been no use as next year we will be facing the hard reality of relegation

HERETIC

BURN HIM

:flameboun :flameboun :flameboun :flameboun :flameboun :flameboun

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So Carole's gone then, f*** him it's hardly the end of the world. Is it really that surprising that a Frenchman wanted to leave to further his career? Players come and go, clubs go through peaks and troughs. At the moment we are going through a rather large trough. It's all part and parcel of supporting a SMALL club.
Our squad which has been decimated for various reasons which have been discussed and argued to death, and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose more players before the start of the season. We will now have to rebuild with free transfers, and you don't get flair players for nothing. If we do anything of note next season it will be through hard work and players who will die for the shirt. If you expect anything more then you will be very disappointed, and most likely moan about it on here.

Dies Irae said:
I think ( and its only an opinion) that MM doesnt like Robinson - he appears to believe he is too small.

You say that about those 3 but if the financial situation is as perilous as we are led to believe, which it obviously is, then I think we will take what we can for them. £200k for CKR, £300k for lynch with a sell on clause and £100 for Henderson.

Stick £500k in the Falmer deposit fund and save the wages.

Seems like a plan to me.

It's a plan, but a rubbish one.

It's true Frutos may go, that's entirely in his hands or his agent's, at least we are trying to pin him down with a new contract, that's all we can do now in the current difficult circumstances of his old contract.

But we will not undervalue our saleable assets in the way you suggest - the concrete evidence for that is the £1.5m we got for Virgo and the tooth-and-nail fight we had with Leeds to get as much money out of them as possible, £600k+ for Harding.

To suggest we will let 3 among our most saleable assets go for less COMBINED than we got for Harding even you must admit is one of your more doom-laden flights of fancy.

Last edited:

B.W. said:
Well, we may not even keep Frutos because of our "clever" agreement to his similar release clause a la the mighty Seb's... what a bunch of clowns our club's leadership are sometimes...

** prepares for flaming **
Not flaming, but to back that comment up you have to address the issue that Knight raised in the Argus this morning, which was the cost of removing that clause in both transfer fee and wages.

Knight plainly said we didn't have the money to do that.

This speaks directly to the credibility of the man, you either believe him on that or you don't - but if you don't, then you need some sound arguments why.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
Not flaming, but to back that comment up you have to address the issue that Knight raised in the Argus this morning, which was the cost of removing that clause in both transfer fee and wages.

Knight plainly said we didn't have the money to do that.

This speaks directly to the credibility of the man, you either believe him on that or you don't - but if you don't, then you need some sound arguments why.

Whilst I do believe him surely the club could have said yes to the clause but backed that up with a small fee to cover costs.
Im sure the players would have realised if they were good enough a club would have paid 75k for them.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Billy the Fish said:
So Carole's gone then, f*** him it's hardly the end of the world. Is it really that surprising that a Frenchman wanted to leave to further his career? Players come and go, clubs go through peaks and troughs. At the moment we are going through a rather large trough. It's all part and parcel of supporting a SMALL club.
Our squad which has been decimated for various reasons which have been discussed and argued to death, and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose more players before the start of the season. We will now have to rebuild with free transfers, and you don't get flair players for nothing. If we do anything of note next season it will be through hard work and players who will die for the shirt. If you expect anything more then you will be very disappointed, and most likely moan about it on here.

Not a small club... a club being held back by a small ground...

B.W. said:
Couldn't agree less... Seb would have won us games... even MM admitted he was a significant loss to the squad... credit where credit's due to MM... no public comment fcuk-up this time... well done, MM...

Don't wish to disagree with you on everything, but I thought McGhee's comment didn't make any sense (there you go, another example of me disagreeing with what the manager says!)

I put McGhee's comments down to utter frustration at the terrible burden the lot of being Albion manager is, and in that context, what he said is perfectly understandable, McGhee must be absolutely gutted that his squad-building plans get so disrupted at every turn.

But to suggest that Seb should have had some sense of duty to stay here and fight a League 1 campaign when he had the opportunity to join a club with strong Premiership ambitions doesn't make any sense, logically. His contract he negotiated allowed him that opportunity to better himself, much like Currie and Virgo before him.

I am gutted that Seb is going because along with Hendo I thought he was our best player. But he has every right to better himself, anyone would in his circumstances.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
Whilst I do believe him surely the club could have said yes to the clause but backed that up with a small fee to cover costs.
Im sure the players would have realised if they were good enough a club would have paid 75k for them.

Spot on... which is why I question our board's negotiating skills... BTW, I would have expected to see a higher figure than the one you give...

B.W. said:
Not a small club... a club being held back by a small ground...

Agree 100 per cent ;)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
Don't wish to disagree with you on everything, but I thought McGhee's comment didn't make any sense (there you go, another example of me disagreeing with what the manager says!)

I put McGhee's comments down to utter frustration at the terrible burden the lot of being Albion manager is, and in that context, what he said is perfectly understandable, McGhee must be absolutely gutted that his squad-building plans get so disrupted at every turn.

But to suggest that Seb should have had some sense of duty to stay here and fight a League 1 campaign when he had the opportunity to join a club with strong Premiership ambitions doesn't make any sense, logically. His contract he negotiated allowed him that opportunity to better himself, much like Currie and Virgo before him.

I am gutted that Seb is going because along with Hendo I thought he was our best player. But he has every right to better himself, anyone would in his circumstances.

What I meant was... MM actually managed to avoid slagging off some aspect of our club this time... you are right about his logic tho'...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
LI - stop asking for evidence... what evidence do you have that DK / MM / the board negotiated the best deal they could for Seb?... the proof of the pudding is in the eating... we have lost a good player for absolutely nothing...

Kinky Gerbils said:

Well, I obviously don't know, the only person who could answer that question for you is Dick Knight, it seems as though Carole's agent was adamant he was never going to be a League 1 player under any circumstances so it's perfectly possible they dug their heels in and demanded absolute Bosman-style freedom of movement, but who knows.

But just speaking for myself, getting £75k for Seb would have still felt like giving away this exceptional player for nothing :(

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
Well, I obviously don't know, the only person who could answer that question for you is Dick Knight, it seems as though Carole's agent was adamant he was never going to be a League 1 player under any circumstances so it's perfectly possible they would have dug their heels in and wanted absolute Bosman-style freedom of movement, but who knows.

But just speaking for myself, getting £75k for Seb would have still felt like giving away this exceptional player for nothing :(

It would of however ment his wages would have been covered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here