Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Long suffering fans"

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The Laughing Bluebird said:
They were throwing bricks at us as we got off the train last time I was there!

:lolol:

you reap what you sow mate...............

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Simster said:
I thought about mentioning them, but the town of Middlesbrough is actually smaller than Brighton & Cardiff, and the dark days of the '80s nearly led to the club going to the wall - so 3,364 turning up to watch them play their home games at Hartlepool is not really that awful. In fact, I have a Boro supporting friend who was one of those 3,364!

I think they only played the first game of the season at Hartlepool. They had some appalling crowds at Ayresome Park, including the one I mentioned.

Attendances did drop almost everywhere during that period, but Boro's were particularly bad considering their league status at the time and the crowds the club has been capable of drawing throughout their history.

mackem69

Oct 31, 2004
Simster said:

Newcastle's gates were 10-12,000 only 13 years ago. Sunderland's were 8-9,000 the season they got relegated from the division we're now in (1986). Sunderland are now third and getting 25,000. Not really brilliant is it. .

88.6 % of all statistics are made up.
Do you really want to go there regarding attendances ?
8-9000 WRONG check your facts....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Middlesborough had some tough times to come through and any club that locks the gates to stop players coming in to train must be able to lay claim to having long suffering fans. I seem to remember Boro doing that amid strong rumours that they were about to go bust. How times change.

We, however, are long suffering because of shit facilities whilst on the field we have the most dramatic seasons of our existence.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm 90% sure you had a gate of 8,800 against Carlisle in 1987. The Laughing Bluebird will be able to confirm...

As for us, we've had some shit crowds - but we're not the self proclaimed hotbed of football are we.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Woah! I think this thread has been turned into an attendance quoting binfest. If we don't put a lid on this sharpish we'll have Royal Sally rolling up, giving it chapter & verse on Reading attendances circa 1951.

I wasn't claiming that Brighton are "bigger" than any other team. In fact i'm saying that Newcastle and the like ARE big clubs, as a result they can never claim to be "long suffering" because they've never suffered. Newcastle had ONE bad season in 91/92, and even then they still stayed up.

"Long suffering" describes supporters of teams like Peterborough United who've played outside the bottom 2 divisions for only 2 seasons and appear to be shooting back towards the basement again. With Barry Fry in charge of the club.

That is suffering.

Having your latest 7 million pound foreign signing playing a bit shit 'cos he's getting pissed up in Bigg Market every weekend is not suffering.

mackem69

Oct 31, 2004
Simster said:

As for us, we've had some shit crowds - but we're not the self proclaimed hotbed of football are we.

Please don`t confuse us with our friends up the road,and their best fans in the world & loyal foot soldiers of the toon army (copywrite sky sports) :shootself

Yes football was in decline in the mid 80`s pre sky, and off the top of my head i`d say our average was down to around 14000 with the occasional lower crowd as for this season we average 27300 and while it looks awful in a 48300 stadium it`s still a bloody good attendance in this division imho.
Anyone who visited the SOl last october will tell you that we are not the same as N********e

In fact I believe there is a rally in Trafalgar sqare calling on the Government "to really do somehing really quite quickly" to ensure thet reclaim their rightful position as england's premier Football team.

It is outrageous that the bigggest club in Europe should not be represented in the showcase finals and an insult to the finest and most knowlegable fans in the world.

I understand that as part of the UK Presidency of European Union, .The Prime Minister (a well known and redpected member of the "Toon Army") is going to fast track Newcastle Utd straight through to to the FA Cup Final, the top of the Premiership, the UEFA Champions League Final and that the FA may well agree with his the view that they should withdraw the England national team from next year's World Cup Finals so that Newcastle Utd can take their proper place as a Wworld footballing power as part of the UK Presidency of European Union.

Brighton Brat

Sep 21, 2003
Haywards Heath
Newcastle 2-2 Norwich 26 APR 1979
Att 7600
Get your money back Laughing Bluebird.

The Bandit

Oct 31, 2004
Sunderland
Easy 10 said:
Absolutely Rob.
Every time I see the Stadium of Light two-thirds empty, I'm reminded of just how fanatical those fans in the north-east are about their football.

We should all hold them in AWE.

How often do you see the SoL two thirds empty? 2/3s empty = 16,650 in attendance. There has never been a league attendance below 22,000 at the SoL

The Bandit

Oct 31, 2004
Sunderland
Simster said:
I'm 90% sure you had a gate of 8,800 against Carlisle in 1987. The Laughing Bluebird will be able to confirm...

Sorry neither are we the self proclaimed hotbed of football. I think you'll find that that is a Premiership phrase ©of Sky. As is "The Entertainers". Also don't lump us with them bastards from up the road - we don't

The Bandit said:
How often do you see the SoL two thirds empty? 2/3s empty = 16,650 in attendance. There has never been a league attendance below 22,000 at the SoL

But the Cups tell a different story don't they.

Explain this one

English FA Cup
Stats: Sunderland - ####### ######

Final score - Stadium of Light Attendance: 17,536

Sunderland 2 - 1 ####### ######

Andrew Welsh (44)
Marcus Stewart (pen 60)
Neill Collins (og 41)

The Bandit

Oct 31, 2004
Sunderland
Storer68 said:
But the Cups tell a different story don't they.

Explain this one

English FA Cup
Stats: Sunderland - ####### ######

Final score - Stadium of Light Attendance: 17,536

Sunderland 2 - 1 ####### ######

Andrew Welsh (44)
Marcus Stewart (pen 60)
Neill Collins (og 41)

How many clubs get the same gate for the cup as they do for the league? Not many.
That crowd was around 2/3 of our avergae gate which I would suggest is about normal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Bandit said:
Sorry, HALF empty then :rolleyes:

Those fanatical Mackems eh.

Stumpy Tim

The Laughing Bluebird said:
I think they only played the first game of the season at Hartlepool. They had some appalling crowds at Ayresome Park, including the one I mentioned.

Attendances did drop almost everywhere during that period, but Boro's were particularly bad considering their league status at the time and the crowds the club has been capable of drawing throughout their history.

Middlesborough is a very small town though. In fact, of all league clubs Boro have the largest percentage of their town's population that go to the football. i.e. they have a population of around 125,000 I believe & they get 25,000 to the football. That's 20% of their population that goes to the game

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here