Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Long suffering fans"

HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Dec 7, 2004
NR SOUTHAMPTON
Right that's it people like Storer68 have really pissed me off now.
Even though I'm a Brighton fan I lived in the North East for about
eight years so have some idea what I'm talking about.
I'm the last person to stick-up for Newcastle fans having followed Sunderland while based in the North East but lets be fair about this.
NEWCASTLE HAVE NOT WON A LEAGUE OR CUP IN ENGLAND FOR OVER 50 YEARS!.
Do you really think Man Utd would sell-out if they went more than ten years without winning anything?
No Newcastle's crowds were not great pre Keegan first time around but nor were most teams in the late 70's to mid 80's.
As for Sunderland.
No 25,000 is not fantastic compared to what they were getting when in the Premeirship,47,000 third highest in country and never win anything, but who else but Man City gets really big crowds outside the top league?
The crowd against CP was awful and people should be ashamed but that seems to be how it's going with a lot of clubs bar the Man.U,Chelsea etc.
As for calling it the stadium of shite.
PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN GLASS HOUSES:shootself

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
IS this the same Long suffering supporters who deserted Newcastle United until Keegan cam back and nearly won em the Prem!??

No sympathy...Sorry!

:nono:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Simster said:
I'm 90% sure you had a gate of 8,800 against Carlisle in 1987. The Laughing Bluebird will be able to confirm...

Can't find any refernce to a game against Carlisle, but Sunderland did have a crowd of 8,544 against Sheffield United on 11/4/87. That was the lowest I could find for them.

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Whilst reading a report on the worlds richest clubs in the Daily Telegraph today, I noticed that Newcastle United (11th richest club in the world with profits of 90 million quid) supporters were described as "long suffering".

'SAKE!

It's bad enough having Spurs fans described as "long suffering" because they only finish mid-table in the Premiership and reach a couple of cup finals every decade, but f***ing NEWCASTLE?

I'm sure the geordies are in absolute agony watching top-half finishes in the Premiership, 2 FA cup finals, Champions League/UEFA Cup football. It must be sheer hell having average crowds of over 50,000 every home game and watching a team of highly talented players.

The term "long suffering" should not be used when describing a Premiership teams supporters. Newcastle United make more in a month than we probably do in a year. I can only think of ONE season in their recent history when they "suffered" and that was 91/92. ONE season of shitness out of how many?

I mean we've only had our ground stolen away from us, played at Gillingham for 2 years and had to rent out a council athletics track for the past 6 seasons. Watched a team that finished 91st out of 92 for 2 years running. Only been 45 minutes from going out of the league altogether.

I 100% agree. Quality post.

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
HAMPSHIRE DAVE said:
Right that's it people like Storer68 have really pissed me off now.
Even though I'm a Brighton fan I lived in the North East for about
eight years so have some idea what I'm talking about.
I'm the last person to stick-up for Newcastle fans having followed Sunderland while based in the North East but lets be fair about this.
NEWCASTLE HAVE NOT WON A LEAGUE OR CUP IN ENGLAND FOR OVER 50 YEARS!.
Do you really think Man Utd would sell-out if they went more than ten years without winning anything?
No Newcastle's crowds were not great pre Keegan first time around but nor were most teams in the late 70's to mid 80's.
As for Sunderland.
No 25,000 is not fantastic compared to what they were getting when in the Premeirship,47,000 third highest in country and never win anything, but who else but Man City gets really big crowds outside the top league?
The crowd against CP was awful and people should be ashamed but that seems to be how it's going with a lot of clubs bar the Man.U,Chelsea etc.
As for calling it the stadium of shite.
PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN GLASS HOUSES:shootself

My heart pumps piss.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
The fact is they make out the Football in Newcastle is like a RELIGION, their fans are the most passionate on the world and have black and white in their blood!

Yeah maybe, but only when they are in the Prem or winning something they are!

:shootself

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Brighton Brat said:
Newcastle 2-2 Norwich 26 APR 1979
Att 7600
Get your money back Laughing Bluebird.

Don't know where you got that from, but in April 1979 Norwich were in the old First Division, while Newcastle were in the Second Division.

Jaxaxe

Feb 17, 2005
Storer68 said:
They know and love their football up there.

So much so that they'd really rather go shopping than spend another Saturday afternoon at the Stadium of Shite:lolol:
In common with many, indeed I guess the vast majority, of fellow supporters from the "Stadium of Shite", I hope Prescott gets his finger out very soon, and gets your club the decent, permanent home it deserves.

And once you get it, I hope your directors choose a name for it which lacks pretention, is not a cheap transation from Portuguese to English of the name of one of the great cathedrals of the game, and requires an IQ in double digits or more to corrupt into some form of sad, puerile insult.

Regarding the initial post about the North East being called a "hotbed of football", I am in complete agreement. Anyone suggesting that the feelings they have in their club and area for the game is greater than any other is talking from the wrong end.

Some areas of the North East have a higher than average density of satellite dishes. But that's it. When the going gets tough, the disaffected go shopping. Hotbed or not.

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I fuckin hate newcastle fans.

How about their long suffering kids whose dads spend the government hand outs meant to be for feeding and clothing their children on season tickets to Newcastle, replica tops they always take off anyway to show off their bellies and crappy ceramic plates with 'Geordie Legends' on it from the back page of TV Quick.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Jaxaxe said:
In common with many, indeed I guess the vast majority, of fellow supporters from the "Stadium of Shite", I hope Prescott gets his finger out very soon, and gets your club the decent, permanent home it deserves.

And once you get it, I hope your directors choose a name for it which lacks pretention, is not a cheap transation from Portuguese to English of the name of one of the great cathedrals of the game, and requires an IQ in double digits or more to corrupt into some form of sad, puerile insult.

Regarding the initial post about the North East being called a "hotbed of football", I am in complete agreement. Anyone suggesting that the feelings they have in their club and area for the game is greater than any other is talking from the wrong end.

Some areas of the North East have a higher than average density of satellite dishes. But that's it. When the going gets tough, the disaffected go shopping. Hotbed or not.

What a terrific first post! I hope you stick around.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Jaxaxe said:

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: That's a great first post.

Why are we calling sunderlands ground the stadium of shite? I know light rhymes with shite and everything...but surely we can find one or two stadiums around the country more deserving of the title?

Hampshire Dave. Maybe the geordies haven't won a league or Cup for 50 years, but it hasn't stopped them going f***ing close on numerous occasions. They've spent a whole lot of time in the top division and had a hell of a lot more world class players than, say Rochdale or Leyton Orient or Southend etc etc. And didn't they win the old second division in 92/3 under Keegan?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Richie Morris said:
I fuckin hate newcastle fans.

How about their long suffering kids whose dads spend the government hand outs meant to be for feeding and clothing their children on season tickets to Newcastle, replica tops they always take off anyway to show off their bellies and crappy ceramic plates with 'Geordie Legends' on it from the back page of TV Quick.

Stereotypical generalisation.
I know two Newcastle fans personally. One is a computer programmer for a major insurance company and the other a chartered accountant.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yorkie said:
Stereotypical generalisation.
I know two Newcastle fans personally. One is a computer programmer for a major insurance company and the other a chartered accountant.
Oh in that case, and for your benefit in particular, next time I call ###### or Pompey fans "scum", please don't pull me up on it will you. :rolleyes: Afterall, I actually know several ###### fans who are decent blokes and I've got no doubt that there are at least 5, maybe 6 Pompey fans I'd choose to have a beer with as well.

Oh and great post Jaxaxe, Personally I feel I've underestimated Sunderland fans in general. You've been a decent bunch on here and are by and large not on some big club ego trip like Leeds fans, for example (except Starry) and seem happy to dispel the hotbed myth rather than attempting to justify it. Good work. :clap: :clap:

mackem69

Oct 31, 2004
Storer68 said:

So much so that they'd really rather go shopping than spend another Saturday afternoon at the Stadium of Shite:lolol:

:eek: I`ll take a long look at your superb facilities tomorrow and will then thank god for our stadium of shite as you so elequantly put it .

Have nothing but respect for your club and your fight to get a new stadium, hope you get it sorted soon

Last edited:

The Bandit

Oct 31, 2004
Sunderland
Easy 10 said:
Sorry, HALF empty then :rolleyes:

Those fanatical Mackems eh.

What relevance is half empty? Its still an average of 27,000 regardless of whether we play from a 30,000 capacity or 100,000 capacity? Ever though about replacing Alistair Campbell?

The Bandit

Oct 31, 2004
Sunderland
Storer68 said:

We love our football as much as Brighton/ Wolves/ Carlisle ad infinitum love theres. 27000 is a very good average for this division regardless of the 47000 we averaged three years ago and regardless of the size of the stadium

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
mackem69 said:
:eek: I`ll take a long look at your superb facilities tomorrow and will then thank god for our stadium of shite as you so elequantly put it .

You'll certainly appreciate your own ground a lot more once you've seen Withdean!!

:lolol:

Jaxaxe said:

But what is even FUNNIER abou the name you having nicked Benfica's Sadium name is Benfica's Estadia da Luz has nothing to do with "the Stadium of Light".

Despite the fact that the trophy room contains no fewer than 15,000 pieces of silverware representing the success of the club in all sports, one of the most famous matches played here did not involve Benfica at all. Instead, it was between Glasgow Celtic and Internazionale in the 1967 European Cup Final (2-1) (see page 245). While the stadium does often bask in sunshine, its evocative name Estadio da Luz - derives not from the light (luz) but from the fact that it is in the Luz district of Lisbon"

and don't give us any of that nonsense about it being named after the miners lights........

so really the Stadium of Light should be called the Stadium at Monkweamouth:salute: :salute:

Last edited:

mackem69 said:

Have nothing but respect for your club and your fight to get a new stadium, hope you get it sorted soon

We don't have any"facilities" at Withdean, superb or otherwise.

we have Portakabins:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

enjoy the game :wave: :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here