Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So Man Utd and Liverpool the others are nothing.

There's some very short memories around. There's some huge clubs left with more heritage, larger trophy cabinets, bigger fanbases than the rest. I'm sure they'll survive. Perhaps survive longer than Franchise Spud u like

There are indeed, some of those are in the championship currently.

How many millions does that league get a season as part of the TV deal.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You clearly cannot comprehend, so I will say it plain and simple;

The people behind this Super League do not care about you. They do not care about their own clubs fans. They only care about money. And Liverpool vs Juventus will get them more money than Liverpool vs Brighton.

Shut up you tit.

Liverpool v Juventus maybe what you'll watch but normal proper fans wont. Look at the fan outrage at it. No watchers no money generated.

Plain and simple you know cock all about real football fans.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You clearly cannot comprehend, so I will say it plain and simple;

The people behind this Super League do not care about you. They do not care about their own clubs fans. They only care about money. And Liverpool vs Juventus will get them more money than Liverpool vs Brighton.

On the surface that sounds true and reasonable. However long-term I don't believe it will lead to more money as it stultifies competition and football has flourished with the understanding that within reason, anyone can achieve. This league removes that from the top down and harms all along the way in my opinion. I think that fans will find Juve vs Liverpool boring year after year, especially 4 times a season. The champions league was getting very boring to a large number of football fans and this league will be meaningless.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
On the surface that sounds true and reasonable. However long-term I don't believe it will lead to more money as it stultifies competition and football has flourished with the understanding that within reason, anyone can achieve. This league removes that from the top down and harms all along the way in my opinion. I think that fans will find Juve vs Liverpool boring year after year, especially 4 times a season. The champions league was getting very boring to a large number of football fans and this league will be meaningless.

I agree, however from the looks of it these are long term deals being put in place.

I also imagine it will end up with about 30/40 clubs in it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This 'Super League' is not created for proper fans.

So they can go and fester in their pointless league, let them go.

To believe the best players will all want to go to it is plain stupid. There will still be great players to go around.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I agree, however from the looks of it these are long term deals being put in place.

I also imagine it will end up with about 30/40 clubs in it.

I’m sure I’ve read that a lot of STH of these clubs don’t bother with most of the European games and the tickets get sold to occasional fans ? It’s never really surprised me as these games have very little history. If BHA ever qualified for Europe I’m not sure I would bother much after the initial novelty value had worn off. Just don’t have a lot of interest in football outside of the UK.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Shut up you tit.

Liverpool v Juventus maybe what you'll watch but normal proper fans wont. Look at the fan outrage at it. No watchers no money generated.

I fully understand your point but this is going to be a worldwide brand, we think the Premier is big but this has the potential to be huge.
Sponsors will be falling over themselves to be part of it and not give a hoot about what is left below this Super League.
I'm totally against it but worldwide fans will love it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I like the idea of just resetting without them, and then the leagues become more competitive in time, the idea that we can all forget about these six teams and create a new football order without them.

But.

Right now the biggest enemy of the new ESL is the fans of those six clubs. They're not happy, they are going to protest and march and make the owners lives miserable. They are, by and large, the most numerous groups of fans in the country and their voice might decide what will happen. I think if the premier league goes too far, just kicks these clubs out altogether in haste, there could be some kind of backlash, these fans might en masse decide to support their teams in the ESL because they've been rejected by the premier league.
Firstly, I wouldn't suggest that the PL kick them out right now. I wouldn't impose any points penalty, or any fine. I'd simply state that if they form this new league, then they will be kicked out. Their choice. Secondly, I don't imagine the PL have any legal grounds to deduct points or kick them out for simply proposing an idea.

I don't think protest will matter to the owners, they're (mostly) not even in this country. But if they're kicked out of the PL, their revenue will drop hugely, and there's the risk that their new league will fail when it's just them (and no other teams from Europe joining them each year). That's probably too much of a risk for their owners to take.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I’m sure I’ve read that a lot of STH of these clubs don’t bother with most of the European games and the tickets get sold to occasional fans ? It’s never really surprised me as these games have very little history. If BHA ever qualified for Europe I’m not sure I would bother much after the initial novelty value had worn off. Just don’t have a lot of interest in football outside of the UK.

Depends on the game, I’ve got a ST at Spurs and I can’t really say as we had 1 season in the CL and it was full, but new stadium bounce.

Think United/Pool sell out - City don’t.

Depends how much they sell tickets for? I imagine they would be cheap to start with

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Therein lies the rub for me. There's actually an inverse correlation between the proximity and engagement level between fans and clubs and how much influence they have over matters. 50 years ago (even 30 years ago) match-going fans were everything because that's where all the money came from - clubs could not act unilaterally against the best interests and wishes of supporters without risking serious financial consequences.

Today things are very different in the top flight. The last 12 months are a great case study in how little fans in grounds matter in the big scheme of things. Yes, empty stadiums detract from the spectacle but behind closed doors games have proved to be nothing more than a bloody nose to the financial might of elite clubs - it remains silly season in terms of transfer fees and wages.

The simple reality is that the bulk of football's money comes from people sat at home, and even more pertinently people based outside of this country, often many thousands of miles away. It sounds counter-intuitive, but fans on the other side of the world literally have more influence than people buying season tickets and going to games because in totality they account for more income. It stands to reason that those 'fans' are going to be less invested in English football's history and cultural heritage - no doubt for many of those people week after week of Liverpool v Barcelona is going to be of greater interest than a season littered with Burnley's and Norwich City's. It's this reality that makes this whole shambolic affair possible.

What the Premier League has done is created a monster it can no longer control - the robots are taking over. They've allowed the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool to become so big globally, that they no longer need the Premier League. They no longer need match-going fans, or even football fans based in England, to be frank.

The Premeir League model since its advent in the early 90s has been motivated by financial greed, and has only become progressively worse over the years. By becoming so blinkered by maximising their own financial wealth, they've failed to see this coming and have got themselves in a right old pickle. Like it or not, the magic money tree is dead without those clubs with a disproportionate global profile - millions of people in the far east are not going to be tuning in to a season of Everton v Newcastle.

Quite the pickle indeed. How they get out of it, I don't know. Can they? I'm not sure, but I am certain that this will all end very badly for someone.

Brilliant post! :clap2:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Potter completely sidestepped it in the press conference. Disappointing but understandable. Firstly, he can leave comment to the owner and CEO. Secondly, he is genuinely preparing for a forthcoming match and hasn’t just polished off his weekend’s work.

I’d bloody love to see players and managers pile in on what a fetid pile of dingoes’ kidneys this all is but I don’t get my wage from the game. I can appreciate them wanting to keep their heads down.

Im not sure many managers will comment. Their employer is the club and they are employed to coach/manage the team regardless of the league they play in

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Shut up you tit.

You're right, normal proper fans won't.

But what you can't understand (either you don't want to or you're just really dumb) is that the big money doesn't come from proper fans, it comes from overseas.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Personally, can this please be all arranged in a way so that BHA end up in league set up like the Bundesliga, with similar match ticket prices? Your Liverpools and your Tottenhams can play in their own little league with your Reals and Milans somewhere else. I can watch a bit of that via a stream as I normally do , mostly due to freebet offers from the bookies, and not pay towards it. If that could happen then I'd be obliged.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

But what you can't understand (either you don't want to or you're just really dumb) is that the big money doesn't come from proper fans, it comes from overseas.

Your correct

But how many of them are going to be watching games at 3am on a Weds/Thurs morning.

Yes I know... some will, but not at the levels we are currently seeing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It depends on the context.

European Super League is a beautiful distraction for the government. Universal condemnation in the UK. Perfect opportunity to connect with working class voters. Win, win. Labour's response seemingly a tinny whine.

so regulation of clubs and sports leagues. what happens when there's another change the fans oppose, like expansion of champions league by UEFA? and other sports, step in against changes to the country cricket format perhaps?

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
The only positive out of this that BHA have a possibility of winning the EPL, as Leicester or West Ham are the top teams left.

If ‘old/legacy fans of big 6 have any care - they turn up and don’t enter the ground - police won’t allow game to start on safety grounds, that mucks up the tv schedule

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Not just today but other post previously you want to go on and on.

I'm certainly not dumb and I ****ing know where the money comes from. It comes from advertising and if no one watches the advertising goes.

You maybe dumbarse enough to watch this crap. Fair play if you're that shallow

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here