Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Could a Government compulsory acquisition say a football stadium, pay the owners pennys in the pound for it and then turn it into a green space for the local community?

Asking for a friend.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Will never happen but wish it would (plus kicking them out). Best thing to happen to European and British football in decades if it did. So much better off without them. Huge effects on the England team too if half the clubs are ‘English’. Sadly they’ll just pay a load of money to PL and FIFA to ‘appease’ and tell UEFA who they don’t need to feck off.

Anyone who thinks British fans are the market though are crazy. The brands are all that’s wanted. Corruption and sports betting will be rubbing their hands in glee too. The midweek games will not be happening at 3am or 4am in Asia during the afterwork hours of British fans. The games will HAVE to be played in USA and Asia won’t they as a result. Maybe one group of ten clubs playing in each just like East and West Conferences of US sports and the clubs will have 2 ‘home’ stadiums not 1. (Eventually).

Chelsea cannot play their first team 'home' matches away from Stamford Bridge without 75% of the fans voting in favor of it.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
From the moment the Premier League was created, this was waiting to happen. Five clubs got together, with the sole intention of creating elitism in football and increasing their own chances of regular European participation. As Everton started to lose ground, so Chelsea and City gained ground and eventually these ' big six ' achieved the global presence they craved. Not happy enough with the occasional game against other big european clubs, they now want to play them all the time. Each club is looking to generate about x 3 income, they currently generate.i.e about £300m per year.
So they will target the best players, pay them the most money and dominate the tv schedules. Fans of these clubs, will find that the cost of supporting their clubs hugely escalate, with increased travel taken into consideration. They will get about 6 home games a season. Everton will lose an historic derby going back 120 odd years. West Ham will lose their fierce rivalry v Tottenham ( TOTTENHAM.....2 league titles in their history and none for 60 years....a couple of league cup wins in 30 years !!!! ) The whole of the football pyramid and a long and proud history ripped apart through pure, unadulterated greed.
So I say.....good riddance to them. No Premier League, no FACup, no Champions League, no Europa League. No player participation in World Cups or European Championships and all the remaining clubs should make it as difficult as possible for them to buy players from us. Just hike all the prices up to a ridiculous level, so if the mighty Tottenham want to buy Declan Rice or Arsenal want Tariq Lamptey, then its £200m.
Football can survive without them. Create a UK league. Bring in Rangers and Celtic. They are both bigger than bloody Tottenham or Athletico Madrid. The gloves are off now and if they want to fight dirty, then bring it on.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
They will not be allowed into the real Euro competitions. Their players will not be included in international teams either. It is a non-starter IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is just an opening shot from the clubs but at the end of the day money talks.
Similar to Kerry Packer's World Cricket the authorities will climb down, can you see a World Cup without the best player's in the World participating, FIFA and the sponsors would not allow it.
The rich simply want to get richer and stuff the rest.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I can’t find any positive quotes from fans of the traitorous ‘top six’.

Instead, it’s absolute condemnation. I feel sorry for the fans of clubs involved as it appears that there has been next to no consultation. I honestly believe this will bring people on to the streets if pushed any further.

Not that they ever would, but I’d be horrified if Tony & Barber came out with this sort of shit, it would certainly be the end of my season ticket at the Amex, I’d be livid! Thank Christ we have those two at the helm, two men who would never sell out our club for cash with zero consideration for what the fans wanted.

This move is all about the international market, those English conspirators will find that their domestic market has been taken away from them if they dare go ahead.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The authorities will posture and growl and wag their fingers but in the end will just bend over and have their taint tickled.

And that's when football dies.

I won't be putting any more time, money or emotion into football when this goes ahead. I'd go and watch non-league but even then the goal is to climb the pyramid to eventually reach this foul pustule of avarice.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It should be the reset football needs. Kick them all out, ban them. The tv deals will reduce dramatically for the PL and clubs will just need to adjust accordingly over next couple of seasons.

Will be interesting to see what a few managers think. Most are rich enough to be ok, and can see a few being principled on the matter

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
This move is all about the international market, those English conspirators will find that their domestic market has been taken away from them if they dare go ahead.

Sadly the domestic market is two tenths of f*ck all compared to the international one.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It should be the reset football needs. Kick them all out, ban them. The tv deals will reduce dramatically for the PL and clubs will just need to adjust accordingly over next couple of seasons.

Will be interesting to see what a few managers think. Most are rich enough to be ok, and can see a few being principled on the matter

I have never see any evidence of principal from any PL manager. Not saying it isn’t so but I think it unlikely that any manager would oppose the pay packets that are going to be offered in the new league.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I have never see any evidence of principal from any PL manager. Not saying it isn’t so but I think it unlikely that any manager would oppose the pay packets that are going to be offered in the new league.

Not sure - Klopp, Tuchel I could see. Possibly Guirdieola ?

Klopp in 2019: “I hope this Super League will never happen. With the way the CL is now running, football has a great product, even with the Europa League.
"For me, the Champions League is the Super League, in which you do not always end up playing against the same teams.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Personally, if this money grabbing scheme does reach fulfilment, I won’t be watching any games, and I will cancel any tv provider that broadcasts it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just a couple of lighter observations.....

- if Man Utd records are expunged, surely that makes us cup winners in 83?

- BBC breakfast using archive film demonstrating the trophies recently won, had to use Man Utd playing in their away strip rather than any Tottenham triumph...... was half expecting to see the Ricky Villa goal.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The ESL will be up there with WWE and The Harlem Globetrotters as far as I am concerned.

I hardly watch the Champions League now, and will have no interest in watching this.

I have watched the Albion play in tiers 4,3,2 and occasionally, as now, in tier 1 over the past 50 years - it will make little difference to me - in fact, in our current position, it would be nice going into more games with a sense of having a fair chance.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
From the moment the Premier League was created, this was waiting to happen.

100% This - The premier league was created to maximise revenues and to move away from the more egalitarian principles of the former football league. It was never anything to do with the good of the sport or improvement for the fans etc etc, it was and is all about the money of course. That's what made this move an inevitability in our ultra capitalist world - "When the monster stops growing, it dies. It can't stay one size". There are those that believe that the premier league is an unmitigated success, those that celebrate the new football experience, the one that is akin to going to the cinema. They probably enjoy the three course meal before the game and the drink in the comfort of the lounge while the hoi polloi dissipate. Maybe I'm an anachronism but I yearn for something a little more earthy, maybe this move will hasten that but I doubt it....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here