Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
If allowed to compete in both the PL & this new league then the difference in wealth between the top 6 & the rest just becomes even greater. It would make a mockery of a “fair” competition. How can they be allowed to earn hundreds of millions from a tournament you can’t be relegated from & then turn up to play Norwich on a Saturday.

We as a group of fans should put out a statement. The more voices on our side the better.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
In case anyone’s not seen Gaz’s take. Totally agree with him, enough’s enough. Relegate them or deduct points. We have clubs going out of business. Putting staff on furlough and they’re having meetings during a pandemic to try and greed more money out the game.

And Spurs and Arsenal aren’t even in the Champions League, yet they feel they have a divine right to break away. Relegate them. Keep Fulham and West Brom up.

[tweet]1383830593885011974[/tweet]

[tweet]1383832654462677001[/tweet]

I've suddenly developed an admiration for Gary Neville. Didn't expect that. Very well said!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But they've been told that if they go ahead with this they'll be chucked out of the PL. So, in effect, they are walking away from it

lets assume thats not part of their calculation, since they've stated member clubs want continue in the domestic leagues. that may be beyond their control, but thats the plan, to have the Super League and domestic league. they are offering a carrot of some 10bn (over number of years) as a sweetner. i dont think this is a half hearted attempt to gain negotiation, i reckon they mean to go ahead and domestic leagues will have to weigh up expulsion or live with it. a lot of bravado now, dont know who has the resolve to stick to position.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The 39th game. There was talk about an extra EPL game played in Asia. If these clubs do break away what's to stop them playing these games overseas? Fans, who needs them when millions will pay big money to see their club play.

There will always be a market for this sort of thing because the vast majority of people that watch football do so from the comfort of their home. What it needs is for the authorities to stand firm with their threats to players. Top players will still go to this league but hopefully it will be at the arse end of their career.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not per club.

I don't understand this bit. That works out at just over £200m per club but clubs get this from PL and CL/Europa leagues now - Liverpool made £500m in profit last year, how does the Super League guarantee more revenue.

Of course, this may not include TV money - which will be a hefty sum - but I imagine that JP Morgan would want a big slice of that otherwise why would they be stumping up the money? They're not a charity.

I just don't see how walking away from the PL brings them more mone
y

From what I'm hearing on the radio the plan is to play ESL games on a Wednesday with no club leaving the EPL. The only think these clubs want to leave is the Champions' league (albeit even that isn't entirely clear). The leaving the EPL bit is more a case of it being mooted the EPL will boot these clubs out (on a majority vte by the 14).

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
But they've been told that if they go ahead with this they'll be chucked out of the PL. So, in effect, they are walking away from it

They have been told that now yes. But they are also gambling on winning legal arguments to stay I’m sure and gambling that the other 14 clubs will cave in because they feel that without them in the PL the competition doesn’t exist. They can stand there and say without us are sky Amazon BT ect going to pay for this? They have been posturing around for a while now trying to find a way to either gain more money through the PL, guarantee their European places and control what happens. They want both slices of the pie, they just want to eat the whole European one themselves and get a bigger slice of the PL one.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
For those wanting the PL to kick the 6 out, relegate them etc, it's just never going to happen. Ultimately the PL is a money making machine and these 6 bring in the vast majority of their income - kicking them out would make no sense at all.

As I said before, it's all a negotiation and they will come up with a financial agreement. This Super League will happen, it might not be in it's current exact suggested format but it will in some shape or form. And once it's happened, those teams will not give a toss about the Champions League anyway so UEFA lose all power.

We've just got to get used to the idea and try and find a way to make it work with the current domestic arrangements.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
lets assume thats not part of their calculation, since they've stated member clubs want continue in the domestic leagues. that may be beyond their control, but thats the plan, to have the Super League and domestic league. they are offering a carrot of some 10bn (over number of years) as a sweetner. i dont think this is a half hearted attempt to gain negotiation, i reckon they mean to go ahead and domestic leagues will have to weigh up expulsion or live with it. a lot of bravado now, dont know who has the resolve to stick to position.

Indeed.

If the domestic leagues chuck these teams out the ESL will collapse before it starts. Hence the legal action by the ESL this morning....

I think I understand now what the present situation is. It has helped enormously to turn the radio off. Nicky Campbell has just been shit stirring this morning and letting Outraged of Oldham drone on about the theft of his majestic heritage.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Is this not simply a massively risky piece of brinkmanship to try to gain an advantage in negotiations about the future of European football? The future being that these clubs just make even more money!

Despite all the noises from the various governing bodies are they really going to expel then from their respective domestic leagues? I wish they would but that drastic action would suit neither party and none but the most ardent ' plastic armchair ' fan would want it. For me this is just a power grab!

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One thing’s for sure.. I think these clubs have underestimated the reaction. Pretty much universal outrage.

[tweet]1383909297239724033[/tweet]

[tweet]1383911304973283328[/tweet]

Another thing's for sure, the people who signed up for the 'ESL' don't give a toss.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
For those wanting the PL to kick the 6 out, relegate them etc, it's just never going to happen. Ultimately the PL is a money making machine and these 6 bring in the vast majority of their income - kicking them out would make no sense at all.

As I said before, it's all a negotiation and they will come up with a financial agreement. This Super League will happen, it might not be in it's current exact suggested format but it will in some shape or form. And once it's happened, those teams will not give a toss about the Champions League anyway so UEFA lose all power.

We've just got to get used to the idea and try and find a way to make it work with the current domestic arrangements.

You do realise that any domestic league could simply wait until the Super League puts out a fixture then fixture league games on those days for those clubs and there's not a single thing those clubs could do to stop them.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

This unfortunately! As I said in previous post this is just a leverage move!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

The money won't remain in the premier league if it is no longer competitive because the only prize is the top spot. These clubs will no longer take domestic competition seriously

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I wonder which other three clubs will be invited to join!

If it's one more EPL club then that shifts the voting balance. At the moment, the other 14 have the voting power but take just one out then it the EPL becomes impotent.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
fef59ea70b5d8e9193c4118303a4def4.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here