Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
One thing’s for sure.. I think these clubs have underestimated the reaction. Pretty much universal outrage.

[tweet]1383909297239724033[/tweet]

[tweet]1383911304973283328[/tweet]

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
This is going to happen. As that statement says, this is the start of negotiations. It’s ALL about money for ALL parties other than fans who have no power really.

They will agree some big financial package with the domestic leagues and probably FIFA so the players can play in the world cup and they will all release some mealy mouthed statements about how this is for the good of the whole game from ground roots up. They don’t give a shit about UEFA sanctions.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This competition, according the the Greedy 12, would be in place of the CL and they would retain their place in domestic leagues.

But they don’t decide that the EPL do which is a member run organisation so can vote them out.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Does it matter if a corrupt organisation signs it off doesn’t mean the members of the EPL have to.

And you think the EPL are a bunch of principled angels :lol:

I have no idea how the EPL will react tbh, but promise is a comfort to a fool, I can tell you that much.

What does seem clear to me, from the two statements I've read, that anyone thinking players in the proposed ESL will be banned from playing for their country is possibly not reading between the lines.

But we shall see. This proposed ESL may not even happen, it could just be a big bargaining chip being laid on the table at the moment. But it's quite a game of poker now, that's for sure.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This is going to happen. As that statement says, this is the start of negotiations. It’s ALL about money for ALL parties other than fans who have no power really.

They will agree some big financial package with the domestic leagues and probably FIFA so the players can play in the world cup and they will all release some mealy mouthed statements about how this is for the good of the whole game from ground roots up. They don’t give a shit about UEFA sanctions.

I tend to agree.

Juventus chairman has already resigned from his UEFA post hasn't he.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Barrow AFC (@BarrowAFC) Tweeted: After weighing up public reaction, we have reluctantly decided to withdraw our interest in the European Super League for the time being.

#BarrowAFC

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Only just spotted this in the statement:

“The formation of the Super League comes at a time when the global pandemic has accelerated the instability in the existing European football economic model”

How dare they reference the pandemic while trying to usher in a league that will necessitate an increase in international travel. And while we’re on wider socioeconomic considerations, it’s also bang out of order as far as the climate change agenda goes too. Absolutely everything about this is wrong.

I’m going to bed now and I shall be disappointed when I wake up and find none of them have been turfed out of the league.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
But my point is, from what I have read, I don't think there are any sanctions that can be enforced this season.

But it wouldn't matter as their position can be nil at the end of the season and immediately expelled once finished what then happens has nothing to do with them as they would not be members of what is a closed shop until invited in.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Manchester United co-chairman Joel Glazer will be a vice-chairman of the Super League.

He said: "By bringing together the world's greatest clubs and players to play each other throughout the season, the Super League will open a new chapter for European football, ensuring world-class competition and facilities, and increased financial support for the wider football pyramid."

I'd love to know how making domestic leagues uncompetitive by keeping all the big money within a closed shop of a select few clubs and prevent clubs who would have qualified for the big money European Cup competitions instead of them will "increase support for the wider football pyramid"

If it goes ahead, it's likely only to reduce the money the current leagues / competitions can get for TV rights, sponsorship, etc

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Journalist on Twitter suggesting this is very much a US led project. Man City and Chelsea owners (who let's be frank don't need the money) were backed in to a corner with fear of being left out.

Wouldn't be surprised if cracks appear in the "English" alliance.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Journalist on Twitter suggesting this is very much a US led project. Man City and Chelsea owners (who let's be frank don't need the money) were backed in to a corner with fear of being left out.

Wouldn't be surprised if cracks appear in the "English" alliance.

it's been floated by jp Morgan ....my initial reaction was "**** em then" .....wonder how long before man u play barcelona in New York on friday night , naaahhh , **** 'em.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
it's been floated by jp Morgan ....my initial reaction was "**** em then" .....wonder how long before man u play barcelona in New York on friday night , naaahhh , **** 'em.

JPM internationally known for their support of football worldwide due to their massive philanthropic actions at grass roots level bringing a whole new era if football to a whole new generation of footballers, thus increasing the games pyramid actions by investing heavily in the lower levels across the many continents of the world.

Or the mugs who funded the Man Utd takeover the think this is a way to ensure they get their money back with massive profits and fvck what the fans want...............

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Will never happen but wish it would (plus kicking them out). Best thing to happen to European and British football in decades if it did. So much better off without them. Huge effects on the England team too if half the clubs are ‘English’. Sadly they’ll just pay a load of money to PL and FIFA to ‘appease’ and tell UEFA who they don’t need to feck off.

Anyone who thinks British fans are the market though are crazy. The brands are all that’s wanted. Corruption and sports betting will be rubbing their hands in glee too. The midweek games will not be happening at 3am or 4am in Asia during the afterwork hours of British fans. The games will HAVE to be played in USA and Asia won’t they as a result. Maybe one group of ten clubs playing in each just like East and West Conferences of US sports and the clubs will have 2 ‘home’ stadiums not 1. (Eventually).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here