Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Don’t get the need to question which teams are in it because they’re doing shite in the league. It’s completely meaningless really apart from them being on the dickhead list. It’s the principe of it - obviously...!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Unless I’m misreading it. according to the statement this is a midweek league and they expect to compete in the PL as well.

True, but 24 matches to the final says where the priority is.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
True, but 24 matches to the final says where the priority is.

What I’m seeing on TalkSPORT:

It will be a new European competition between 20 top clubs comprised of 15 founders and 5 annual qualifiers

There will be two Groups of 10 clubs each, playing home and away fixtures within the Group each year

Following the Group stage, 8 clubs will qualify for a knockout tournament, playing home and away until the single-match Super League Championship

Games will be played midweek, and all clubs will remain in their domestic leagues

They’re expecting to stay in the Premier League...

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What I’m seeing on TalkSPORT:

They’re expecting to stay in the Premier League...

Yes, but with little incentive. 38 domestic, 20 (minimum) in Europe, FA Cup et al.

The EPL will not be the priority.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
They should be suspended right away and if they stop their nonsense they would only be allowed back in with a 150m fine each to be distributed to all the other teams and have a minus 50 points from next season.

Not that I'd personally mind seeing the back of them, but from the PL's perspective wouldn't hitting the teams with massive fines and points deductions only serve to add to the incentive to break away?

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Yeet the lot of 'em.

The only problem i foresee is the restructuring: the FA are a bunch of muppets, so i doubt they'll be able to do anything decent with the chance they're being given.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Yes, but with little incentive. 38 domestic, 20 (minimum) in Europe, FA Cup et al.

The EPL will not be the priority.

They will have more money for two squads.

It can’t be allowed. They can’t have their cake and eat it. Real test for the game this. Will these clubs get away with it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
People saying these clubs should be docked points or suspended, I doubt there is any legislation that can allow that.

Against the regulations of the EPL

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It would be a breach of their contract with the Premier League.

That is the legal angle.

The European Super League is not sanctioned.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
My understanding is that the Premier League can 'kick them out' of future seasons but cannot impose sanctions.

They have signed up for a new league so can't be in this one so they can foxtrot oscar now.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I am disgusted to be spurs fan (AGAIN after the furloughing of staff) ... we don't ever win **** all anyway, how are we going to win in a league with the best teams in Europe. It is embarrassing.

The contempt and greed of the so called big 6 is disturbing. They don't give a shit about anything, the fans, history... it's all about money. I doubt many people within the clubs knew much about it anyway. I suspect it was the people at the top talking in the shadows.

Kick them out the league. **** em. Let's get football back on track. The league will be much better without those mercenaries anyway.

Was my dam mum and dad that made me go to spurs games... i was born in Brighton anyway... SEAGULLS.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Hopefully protests occur when fans are back in stadiums for the final two league games.

What will that do, these owners don't attend anyway.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This is the crucial bit from the ESL statement...

Competition Format

20 participating clubs with 15 Founding Clubs and a qualifying mechanism for a further five teams to qualify annually based on achievements in the prior season.

Then read the FIFA statement about...disapproval to a "closed European breakaway League". competitions.

That's the work around right there, that 5 teams can qualify each year, that has FIFA essentially signing it off.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This is the crucial bit from the ESL statement...

Competition Format

20 participating clubs with 15 Founding Clubs and a qualifying mechanism for a further five teams to qualify annually based on achievements in the prior season.

Then read the FIFA statement about...disapproval to a "closed European breakaway League". competitions.

That's the work around right there, that 5 teams can qualify each year, that has FIFA essentially signing it off.

Does it matter if a corrupt organisation signs it off doesn’t mean the members of the EPL have to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here