Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpoo 1 Blackpool 2

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My liverpool supporting friend has been supporting them since he was a kid. He's seen them live, once, in a pre-season friendly last year. I've seen liverpool twice. (back in 90?91? in the fa cup at anfield and the replay at the goldstone).

Ridiculous, isn't it? These people really don't get it.

Personally I've seen them live about 7 or 8 times. That must put me in the top 20% of their 'fans' :jester:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Don't really know what they are protesting about.

Is it basically the same as the situation with the Glazers, just with a different bunch of Yanks? Or is there more to it?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I used to go to Anfield a lot as a kid growing up in Birkenhead and they do have some proper hardcore fans but a LOT of casual supporters from all over the world (The pre-game tannoy announcements were all for Norwegians, paddies and Swedes on jollies)

I have a lot a sympathy for their plight seeing as how they were pretty unique in protesting about the buy-out from the outset (unlike Chelski who were made up) and before the problems really began.

I think that Liverpool fans are the victims in all of this and think the prem will be less interesting without them in contention. That said I'm not losing any sleep over it and I hope that what is going on at Anfield will be a wake up call for English football in general.

Playing them at the Amex on equal terms would be fantastic though...would'nt it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ridiculous, isn't it? These people really don't get it.

Personally I've seen them live about 7 or 8 times. That must put me in the top 20% of their 'fans' :jester:

In fairness to my friend, he doesn't claim to be anything more than a long distance supporter. He doesn't claim to "bleed red", and has never claimed to have experienced bad times during his 20ish years of supporting them, and will willing go along with jokes about how dedicated a fan he is (earlier this year he and a friend, who has only a passing interest in football at all, went to watch man city v arsenal in the league cup while on a road trip), he went to watch barcelona last month. For christmas I got him lots of different teams stuff (arsenal teddy bear, man utd pencil case, aresnal boiled sweets etc).

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Don't really know what they are protesting about.

Is it basically the same as the situation with the Glazers, just with a different bunch of Yanks? Or is there more to it?
Well for one thing United fans are protesting against the Glazers anyway.
It is basically the same situation but because Liverpool don't have the revenue that Manchester United have the debt is even more of a problem for them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Snigger

Attachments

• Untitled-2 (Custom).jpg
    Untitled-2 (Custom).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 241

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I used to go to Anfield a lot as a kid growing up in Birkenhead and they do have some proper hardcore fans but a LOT of casual supporters from all over the world (The pre-game tannoy announcements were all for Norwegians, paddies and Swedes on jollies)

I have an uncle-in-law (?) who has 2 season tickets in the Main Stand. A few years back we had the offer and went along to watch (Southampton 6-1). At half time Alan Hansen came out on the pitch with a microphone announcing the winners of some prizes to do with some leaflets they were handing out before the game about credit cards. He read each name out, and where they were from, and I kid you not, every single one was from miles away, Norwich, Plymouth, Derby, London, etc etc. And by the end of it Hansen was laughing and even said, do you think we'll actually get a winner from Livepool?

Plenty of plastic fans there. I remember once driving up to Carlisle and we passed 2 coaches on the M6 with "Cornwall Reds" and "West Country Liverpool Fan Club" banners.

f*** 'em, I hope they go down and we go up. :thumbsup:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I have a lot a sympathy for their plight seeing as how they were pretty unique in protesting about the buy-out from the outset (unlike Chelski who were made up) and before the problems really began.

I think that Liverpool fans are the victims in all of this and think the prem will be less interesting without them in contention. That said I'm not losing any sleep over it and I hope that what is going on at Anfield will be a wake up call for English football in general.

Playing them at the Amex on equal terms would be fantastic though...would'nt it.
Well I wouldn't call them 'victims' as such. All that's happened is that they've learnt that Liverpool football club is just a club the same as any other. No one has a divine right to be 'the best' and what's happened is their little foray into the world of foreign ownership has backfired instead of delivering tons of trophies.

And I wouldn't call them 'unique' in protesting as Man U fans too were opposed to their foreigners from the outset.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
At half time Alan Hansen came out on the pitch with a microphone announcing the winners of some prizes to do with some leaflets they were handing out before the game about credit cards. He read each name out, and where they were from, and I kid you not, every single one was from miles away, Norwich, Plymouth, Derby, London, etc etc. And by the end of it Hansen was laughing and even said, do you think we'll actually get a winner from Livepool?
:

I only have one friend who's a Liverpool fan. He's from Liverpool, has been going since he was a kid and still goes to most home games even though he lives in Hampshire. I don't think that just because someone comes from outside Liverpool that he's necessarily a plastic fan.

And I wouldn't call them 'unique' in protesting as Man U fans too were opposed to their foreigners from the outset.

One difference is that the Man U fans who opposed it went off to form a new club so the people who are protesting now were people who were initially happy. Liverpool fans weren't happy from the outset - but on the other hand, didn't try to preserve the club's soul with a new team. Don't think either Liverpool or Man U come out covered in glory TBH

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Do you think? I remember a lot of Liverpool fans being rather smug when Gillett and Hicks took over, mainly because they knew how unpopular the Glazers were at United and they thought they were getting a much better deal, that THEIR rich Americans were going to be proper fans as opposed to United's corporate leeches.

I also think- and this has been mentioned on many previous occasions in various media outlets- that if anything, Liverpool fans were extremely complacent about what was going on at the start. It's taken them this long to actually get their backsides in gear and do anything other than stitching up an old bedsheet with some Scouse witticism written on it.

What lengths did we go to re ARcher and Bellotti, compared to what Liverpool have done so far?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What lengths did we go to re ARcher and Bellotti, compared to what Liverpool have done so far?
You can't compare our situation with theirs.

Albion had the ground sold beneath their feet, and the club plumetted to the very bottom of the league, whereas Liverpool have spent 5 minutes in 18th place in the Premiership.

If it became clear that Liverpool were being asset stripped as team investment dried up while the team found themselves staring at league one, then there might be a parallel to draw.

In any case, they've been protesting for months, if not years.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
One difference is that the Man U fans who opposed it went off to form a new club so the people who are protesting now were people who were initially happy. Liverpool fans weren't happy from the outset - but on the other hand, didn't try to preserve the club's soul with a new team. Don't think either Liverpool or Man U come out covered in glory TBH
They didn't all go off to FCUM though did they? Some stayed to fight from the inside. As an outsider I'd say that Man U fans were slightly more opposed to their American takeover than Liverpool were. As Edna says I think initially they (Liverpool) were a bit smug that they'd got 'decent' corporate Yanks. They seemed to be more upset that they were referred to as a 'franchise'.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
In fairness to my friend, he doesn't claim to be anything more than a long distance supporter. He doesn't claim to "bleed red", and has never claimed to have experienced bad times during his 20ish years of supporting them, and will willing go along with jokes about how dedicated a fan he is (earlier this year he and a friend, who has only a passing interest in football at all, went to watch man city v arsenal in the league cup while on a road trip), he went to watch barcelona last month. For christmas I got him lots of different teams stuff (arsenal teddy bear, man utd pencil case, aresnal boiled sweets etc).

you bought your friend a teddy bear, a pencil case and some boiled sweets for a christmas present?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They didn't all go off to FCUM though did they? Some stayed to fight from the inside. As an outsider I'd say that Man U fans were slightly more opposed to their American takeover than Liverpool were. As Edna says I think initially they (Liverpool) were a bit smug that they'd got 'decent' corporate Yanks. They seemed to be more upset that they were referred to as a 'franchise'.

I could be biased here as my scouse mate was firmly opposed to the takeover, so I might have an inaccurate picture of things.

I must say though that my memory of the Glazer's takeover was that the people who didn't go off to form the 'real' man U team broadly supported the amount of money that the Glazers would bring in - but that was just an impression. I can't say that I closely follow the fortunes of either team, both of whom seem to have eagerly supped with the devil.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not trying to compare the Albion's situation with Liverpool's, but that said, I can quite clearly recall many Liverpool fans mocking the Glazer-takeover of United, and smugly claiming that they wouldn't go the same way with Gillett & Hicks. There seemed to be a genuine belief among a fair proportion that the Liverpool takeover was what the club needed to give them the financial clout to compete with the biggest clubs in terms of players..

Hindsight is the key, I guess.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not trying to pick an argument with anyone, but here are a few quotes from the Liverpool Six-0-Six page when the Gillett/Hicks takeover was announced in 2007. There aren't many objections, and the second one in particular is quite clearly a dig at Man United.

After the apprehension of last week's withdrawal by DIC, the speed that this deal has come together along with encouraging soundbites from all parties has to be seen as being extremely positive for the club.

Moores and the new buyers are both in agreement that money will be in place to expand the support base (one key area this club has fallen behind the likes of Man U and Chelsea), build a new stadium (essential in increasing revenue) and secure a substantial transfer budget for the club.

This is surely the news every Liverpool supporter wants to hear and is looks like finally, Liverpool FC may be starting the journey back to the top of English football.

This is not a good day for Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal as the biggest team in the country is on it's way back to reclaim it's title.

Liverpool Football club has the BEST FANS IN THE WORLD.

Look down Anfield Road, where is the group of 1000 strong balaclava clad, baseball bat wielding, bin tipping, eyeball rolling, non shareholding fans bleating out “OUR CLUB'S NOT FOR SALE” ??

Before deserting “their club” and building some non league rubbish playing in the middle of nowhwere, only to take their 'kids' back to the former club to watch games?!?!?

this will be the start of anova great era for the most successful football team in the land, i dnt want to think that wel "buy the league" in the way chelsea did but a litlle extra spending power never hurt ne1! some of the comments that i hav read above this are propa stupid! man u fans and chelsea "fans" (in "" becos we no ther only ther after success) y cum on and comment about liverpool fc, havnt u got nothiung betta to do like go an support ur own team!

liverpool always has an always will be the biggest club in the uk! man u and chelsea, the so called big clubs, hav got nothing on us!

cum on u red men!!!

I've just listened to George Gillett and Tom Hicks at the press conference, and I clearly believe that these are the men to take liverpool forward! With providing Rafa with funds, we can re-establish ourselves as the super-power we once were.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here