Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpoo 1 Blackpool 2

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
you bought your friend a teddy bear, a pencil case and some boiled sweets for a christmas present?

Yes. It was (obviously) a joke present. They were about £1 each in sport and ski or intersport or whatever it's called now. I got him a proper present too.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Liverpool have a large following among the Irish over here in the US. In the '80's they were virtually the Irish national side, with Irish bars in Boston and NY in the early days of satellite TV often having the games on (the big old C and Ku-band 2m+ diameter dishes). Not all non-local fans are 'plastic' fans.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

Wow what?

It's not really been given as much attention until now (it might be co-incidence that it is at a time that Liverpool have turned to shit).

I know their names and that they are yanks. I know that they have refused takeover bids. But I haven't understood quite why they are "evil".

I've had a bit of a read up on it, and I think I understand a bit better now.

Ok?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Do you think? I remember a lot of Liverpool fans being rather smug when Gillett and Hicks took over, mainly because they knew how unpopular the Glazers were at United and they thought they were getting a much better deal, that THEIR rich Americans were going to be proper fans as opposed to United's corporate leeches.

I also think- and this has been mentioned on many previous occasions in various media outlets- that if anything, Liverpool fans were extremely complacent about what was going on at the start. It's taken them this long to actually get their backsides in gear and do anything other than stitching up an old bedsheet with some Scouse witticism written on it.

What lengths did we go to re ARcher and Bellotti, compared to what Liverpool have done so far?

You normally post interesting and well informed views and I agree with you often...but what you've done here is base your opinions on what you read in the national press rather than having any proper insight. It just aint that way Edna.

It happens to the best of us I suppose but I can tell you that the majority of Liverpool fans, that are from there and go to Anfield regularly, were unhappy about the buyout and predicted nothing but heartache from the beginning. They were protesting then, they are protesting now and, when it comes to it, will do everything that we did to "save" their club.

Just because its Liverpool and just because they were once "mighty" does not mean that their support is complacent...some are but not the proper Reds. I have a great deal more sympathy for them than the other bandwagoners that populate the game these days. I can't even begin to tell you how much the scousers breathe their team. If the same shit were to happen at Chelsea they would just implode and their fans would drift off to support Tottenham or Arsenal as most once did anyway.

It doesn't upset me that Liverpool are in the shit but to claim they are complacent...nah.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
If liverpool fans really have been protesting since the beginning they haven't done a very good job, saturday was the first media coverage I've seen of any protest.

Contrast that with Utd fans who got media coverage from the start. Remember that champions league game when they found out joel glazer was there so they blockaded the street and had a go at his car. They also turned up at a reserve game in balaclavas and stopped it playing for a while. The green and gold protest everyone's heard of, it got slagged off on here but it's done a job.

I can back up what Edna says about liverpool fans crowing about gillette and hicks and saying how much better they were going to be than the glazers. Even if that wasn't the view of the die hards at Anfield, that's what came accross on the phone-ins and the internet. If some weren't happy then they weren't shouting loud enough.

goatcher1981

Mar 1, 2010
I agree that the Bindippers I saw & heard were happy with the thought of lots of American cash coming in.

The fact that they think its their given right to be top four and the outpouring on Sky and other media's to their demise...is just making me laugh harder than is naturally possible.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It happens to the best of us I suppose but I can tell you that the majority of Liverpool fans, that are from there and go to Anfield regularly, were unhappy about the buyout and predicted nothing but heartache from the beginning. They were protesting then, they are protesting now and, when it comes to it, will do everything that we did to "save" their club.

It doesn't upset me that Liverpool are in the shit but to claim they are complacent...nah.

Yes, this was the impression I got too. Like I said, I had a mate who was passionately opposed to the Yanks taking over and I know that there were a lot of protests because he was involved in some of them. I know there was also another bid from a supporter called Steve Morgan that was rebuffed - there was quite popular support from the fans for his bid.

It could be that my mate's involvement in the process has given a misleading impression but, as I said, my recollection is that Liverpool protests were far more vehement than those of the Man U fans.

I am enjoying the discomfort that Liverpool find themselves in but there were plenty of fans who warned this would happen.

... the outpouring on Sky and other media's to ...

I'm not normally fussed about misspellings (unless it's in a post criticising someone's spelling) but "media's" is so horrible that I can't avoid mentioning it.
Media is a plural so there's no need for the "s" at the end (medium is the singular) and even if there were a need, there's no requirement for an apostrophe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here