Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Little things that make you wonder why and how?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Using the same theory, if the cable breaks in the lift you are in, if you do a little jump just before it smacks into the ground will you be OK?

They tackled this on Myth-busters. Busted it, you would die. Doesn't work.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Someone answer my pubic hair question *strop*

Pubic hair has three properties that limit the length it will reach. First it naturally drops out, secondly it "splits" at the end snapping off older sections and thirdly it's curly so giving an appearance of uniform length (some hair is more tightly curled than others)

More importantly why are you shaving such elaborate patterns on your scrotum?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
One thing that interests me is this: If I cut all my pubic hair to different lengths, shaved some off, some at 1mm, some at 5mm and some left long. Within a month it would all be back to the same length.

How does the hair that has been shaved know it has to start growing and when to stop? The 1mm hairs will grow but not as much, the 5mm will grow but a bit less and the uncut hairs know to not grow at all.

I asked my science teacher once and he was baffled by it :)

i THINK its to do with how much hair your pubiewoobies have normally. Say hair is 10mm (For the sake of argument) fully grown. its a dna thing that means your pubes will be 10 mm so the 1mm ones will grow until a fixed length, same with the 5mm ones. :shrug: thats a very bad guess though.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
:eek: how'd they test that!
They found a derelict intact lift. Wound it up about four floors and dropped it with their test crash dummy inside, some mechanism involving a spring that they triggered just before it hit the bottom, to make it jump of the floor. All it's limbs came off, and it's head.
They said there had been a survivor of this, but the cable underneath dropped and coiled up underneath the lift and cushioned the impact.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
If I'm driving my car at 70mph along the motorway, and a fly in my car flies past my head, is that fly flying at 70mph+ ?

Not forgetting the Earth is moving at X mph, the Milky Way is moving a Y mph and the Universe is also traverling at Z mph.

We are moving very fast indeed.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
on a different note, i have a poor understanding of car engines. if the fuel combusts inside the piston thing, how do the exhaust fumes get out quick enough so that the next bit of gas is injected fast enough to produce decent revolutions?

i just don't get it.

[YT]V-z-R8Mv_HM[/YT]

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
They found a derelict intact lift. Wound it up about four floors and dropped it with their test crash dummy inside, some mechanism involving a spring that they triggered just before it hit the bottom, to make it jump of the floor. All it's limbs came off, and it's head.
They said there had been a survivor of this, but the cable underneath dropped and coiled up underneath the lift and cushioned the impact.

Presumably they had to remove the safety devices in order to get the lift to actually drop though...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
This picture puts all these other conundrums into perspective.
LdvVKt0A7-mfPHLu6vOvwA.jpg

Taken by the ESA Hershel Telescope in infra-red. These are not stars in deep space they are Galaxies.
Some of the light from these Galaxies started in it's voyage to us over one billion years ago. :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here