Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Little things that make you wonder why and how?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Had 'em for ages but I still find it pretty mind-boggling how planes stay in the air.

I remember the Jeremy Clarkson documentary on flying, and he said that are were still 5 differing theories on how planes can fly. Persionally I always preferred this one :

"Planes fly due to the combined will of all the passegners for them not to crash"

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Why are there signs with little green men on the doors in Southwick Tunnel, and why is it closed so often, and why are they blocking radio and phone reception in and around the area?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Our local Tesco has a sign saying "trolleys will stop if taken beyond this point".
I tried it with one once, and it did. How?

magnetic thing in the bottom wheel locks the trolleys

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why are there signs with little green men on the doors in Southwick Tunnel, and why is it closed so often, and why are they blocking radio and phone reception in and around the area?

magic?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

It's where the US government have hidden all the evidence that the moon landings were faked.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Car indicators. What makes them click, and WHY do they click ?
Anyone who fails to notice something flashing on their dashboard should be taking the bus.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Wizard or witch?

Thinking about it has to be wizard as I don't believe broomsticks will fly in the tunnel. Perhaps you have tried it and can report Granny W?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If the Government said we had demand for a million new houses every year, where are the million homeless people?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Had 'em for ages but I still find it pretty mind-boggling how planes stay in the air.

Find a windy day. Stand somewhere windy. Hold your hand out flat and at a slight slant. It'll want to move upwards. That's it.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
No it doesn't. The next time I go to Tesco's I shall take a magnet with me. Hours of endless fun magnetising trolley wheels and causing mayhem when people can't push their trolleys around cos I have fixed their wheels. :thumbsup:

Thats brilliant, its gotta be done, just imagine the fun you can have with one of those stupid women who ignorantly leave their trolley in the middle of an isle, watch her get all irate, hit her kids a few more times, then transfer a trolley full of shopping to another trolley. Then as soon as she walks away again, do it again! :lolol::lolol::lolol::clap2::thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How is Raymond Domenech STILL France manager?

beardosh

Insert witty comment here
Dec 14, 2009
Found this which seems to solve the mystery

As a Tesco trolley collector (just part-time while at uni I hasten to add) I can confirm that these merely refer to the wheel locks on the trolleys. They operate when they pass over the buried magnetic surface at the car park boundary. This drops what is basically a small rubber chock in front of the wheel, stopping it almost immediately. They do not need to be sent away to be unlocked, all of us carry "keys" which reset the mechanism

Didnt Scott Mills on Radio 1 play a prank a few years ago where he played a certain noise down the radio stating that it would make trolleys come to a standstill? How did that work?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
How is Raymond Domenech STILL France manager?

Ridiculous. No-one can answer that. Not Mdme Domenech, any little Domeneches with big eyebrows, no-one. "What is truth?" would be easier to answer.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I can float laying on my back in water, is it cos ise fat? :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here