Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Little things that make you wonder why and how?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If I'm driving my car at 70mph along the motorway, and a fly in my car flies past my head, is that fly flying at 70mph+ ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If I'm driving my car at 70mph along the motorway, and a fly in my car flies past my head, is that fly flying at 70mph+ ?

Using the same theory, if the cable breaks in the lift you are in, if you do a little jump just before it smacks into the ground will you be OK?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

My brain has just exploded trying to work that one out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Using the same theory, if the cable breaks in the lift you are in, if you do a little jump just before it smacks into the ground will you be OK?

I've always thought I'd try that in that sort of situation. Doubt you'd think of it in the moment though.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
If you're flying at 15000 feet in a commercial airline, and a fly lies past - why isn't it pinned against the back wall of the aircraft? ???

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've got one that is going to make me look really stupid, and someone can probably point out a really basic answer to shut me up, but hear me out:

If we could travel across a time zone in less than an hour, surely we could time travel?

i.e. You leave London at 1pm, and arrive in the next timezone along due WEST. If you took an hour to get there, the time would still be 1pm on the same day.

Therefore, if you kept taking an hour to cross each time zone, the time would forever be 1pm on the same day.

I'm guessing this cannot be done due to the amount of time it takes to cross time zones, correct? But does it mean that if we built a machine that could move fast enough, time travel WOULD technically happen?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've always thought I'd try that in that sort of situation. Doubt you'd think of it in the moment though.

Fairly difficult to judge when to jump as well.
But if you got it just right, and was "airborne" at the moment of impact, I reckon you'd be alright. As long as the whole thing didn't crumple on you.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Car indicators. What makes them click, and WHY do they click ?
Anyone who fails to notice something flashing on their dashboard should be taking the bus.

The click is the bi-mental strip being "flicked" from one position to another in the relay.the movement is caused by an electrical current being passed through the bi-metal strip causing it to move, hence why the indicator flashes.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I've got one that is going to make me look really stupid, and someone can probably point out a really basic answer to shut me up, but hear me out:

If we could travel across a time zone in less than an hour, surely we could time travel?

i.e. You leave London at 1pm, and arrive in the next timezone along due WEST. If you took an hour to get there, the time would still be 1pm on the same day.

Therefore, if you kept taking an hour to cross each time zone, the time would forever be 1pm on the same day.

I'm guessing this cannot be done due to the amount of time it takes to cross time zones, correct? But does it mean that if we built a machine that could move fast enough, time travel WOULD technically happen?

Not at all. Timezones are a man-made construct to allow for the rotation of the earth. I think I''m right in saying that concord flew to NY in 43 hours, but the time difference is 5 hours, so you landed 2 hours "before" you took off.

fatfingers

Aug 18, 2004
hove
43 hours? surely you mean 8 hours? it only takes 24 hours to fly to Australia with a stop off somewhere built in?

beardosh

Insert witty comment here
Dec 14, 2009

In order for time travel you need to arrive at your destination at 12pm because that would have been the time there when you set off from London.

If you planned on meeting someone, you would have contacted them at 1pm in London and told them you will see them in 1 hour - that's not time travelling , that's just travelling. You could try and follow 1pm west around the globe but when you hit the date line you would jump forward a day - again no time travelling there either!

Back to the drawing board on that one! :lol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The click is the bi-mental strip being "flicked" from one position to another in the relay.the movement is caused by an electrical current being passed through the bi-metal strip causing it to move, hence why the indicator flashes.

Why BOTHER with the clicking ?
Its annoying.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You could try and follow 1pm west around the globe but when you hit the date line you would jump forward a day - again no time travelling there either!

OK, it's the "date line" thing I hadn't counted on, didn't really know what that was. Think I understand it now.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
so, only one person has put the reason why planes fly?

is this because jeremy clarkson has said there's 5 theories and you all believe him?

anyway,

on a different note, i have a poor understanding of car engines. if the fuel combusts inside the piston thing, how do the exhaust fumes get out quick enough so that the next bit of gas is injected fast enough to produce decent revolutions?

i just don't get it.

also, why won't gus sign his contract?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
In order for time travel you need to arrive at your destination at 12pm because that would have been the time there when you set off from London.

If you planned on meeting someone, you would have contacted them at 1pm in London and told them you will see them in 1 hour - that's not time travelling , that's just travelling. You could try and follow 1pm west around the globe but when you hit the date line you would jump forward a day - again no time travelling there either!

Back to the drawing board on that one! :lol:

In the USA, where the Hoover dam is located (on the Colarado river) one state (Nevada) is one hour behind (or maybe forward) the state (Arizona) that is on the other side of the dam. Did I time travel when I went from one side of the dam to the other:lolol:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
... when you hit the date line you would jump forward a day - :

Sounds like time travel to me.

The trick is to go the other way round. Last Saturday I got the result of the Derby then nipped back over the date line into Friday and placed a bet on it. Made a fortune.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Why do bus and train companies publish timetables ? Why don't they just publish estimates ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here