Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Little things that make you wonder why and how?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
One thing that interests me is this: If I cut all my pubic hair to different lengths, shaved some off, some at 1mm, some at 5mm and some left long. Within a month it would all be back to the same length.

How does the hair that has been shaved know it has to start growing and when to stop? The 1mm hairs will grow but not as much, the 5mm will grow but a bit less and the uncut hairs know to not grow at all.

I asked my science teacher once and he was baffled by it :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you drilled a hole all the way down through the centre of the Earth to the other side, fixed a ladder to the inside of the hole and began climbing down the ladder, at what point would you begin climbing UP the ladder ? And what way round would you emerge from the other side ?

(ignoring the fact you'd be incinerated by the magma on the way, of course)

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Fairly difficult to judge when to jump as well.
But if you got it just right, and was "airborne" at the moment of impact, I reckon you'd be alright. As long as the whole thing didn't crumple on you.

And based on the assumption that gravity is temporary suspended allowing you to leap up against the falling velocity of the lift :lolol:

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
When you go swimming, how come the water doesn't go up your bum? ???

:lolol::lolol:
If I'm driving my car at 70mph along the motorway, and a fly in my car flies past my head, is that fly flying at 70mph+ ?

No.

Using the same theory, if the cable breaks in the lift you are in, if you do a little jump just before it smacks into the ground will you be OK?

No, you would die.
If you drilled a hole all the way down through the centre of the Earth to the other side, fixed a ladder to the inside of the hole and began climbing down the ladder, at what point would you begin climbing UP the ladder ? And what way round would you emerge from the other side ?

(ignoring the fact you'd be incinerated by the magma on the way, of course)

Dunno but it would take 47 mins to get from any point to any other point on earth.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The chavs and pikeys who have just loaded up a trolley of supermarket cheapo brand items and can't afford a £3 taxi fare have sussed out that if the trolley is lifted 18 inches off the ground when they get to the red line the wheel wont lock and they can push it home and then dump it in somebody else's front garden.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
If I'm driving my car at 70mph along the motorway, and a fly in my car flies past my head, is that fly flying at 70mph+ ?

I've had a similar thought before but involving travelling at the speed of light - if your vehicle was a mile long and the fly started a mile behind you. When the fly reaches you (say taking an hour), you stop - Therefore you travelled a set distance at the speed of light but as the fly travelled further it must have travelled faster at the speed of light as its travelled a greater distance in the same time

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
If the Government said we had demand for a million new houses every year, where are the million homeless people?

Probably still in France and other European countries hoping to be able to cling to the back of a lorry or under a Eurotunnel train, and desperate to get into the country

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
How does telly work. Ie how do pictures and sound manage to be converted to ''waves'' sent out to space, only to be transmitted back, caught in a metal ariel/dish less than 1m big which is stuck on the side of my flat - go down some cables then turn out as a picture and sound again.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Using the same theory, if the cable breaks in the lift you are in, if you do a little jump just before it smacks into the ground will you be OK?

No - the best theoretical way to increase your chance of surviving is to lie flat on the ground of the lift.

This should distribute the force of impact, rather than concentrate it on one area of your body. You should lie in the center of the car and cover your face and head to protect yourself from ceiling parts that may break loose.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How the EFF does Vinyl (ridges etc) convert into music?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs

Yes it is - relative to the motorway.

No it isn't - relative to you.

All speed is relative to the system of co-ordinates it's measured in, except the speed of light which is constant.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Why BOTHER with the clicking ?
Its annoying.

It could be made quieter,or even moved to the engine bay so it can't be heard, but it intentionally put near the driver so as to add as a audible warning,
don't shoot the messenger !! :)

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Just found this online, explains how one type of touchscreen works in a fairly easy to understand manner;

The iPod Touch and iPhone have capacative touch screens. How'd you tell them apart? An iPod won't registar any old thing, Try putting a sock over your hand and tryig to get it to registar your touches? Nothing.

The iPod creates an electromagnetic field across the screen, that is broken when another conductor (a human finger) is pressed on it.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
How the EFF does Vinyl (ridges etc) convert into music?

The ridges contain bumps. These bumps are read by a needle. The needle then sends the bumps to a bit of kit that changes pressure by moving a plate (much like a normal speaker now, only using digital encoding). This plate changes the air pressure in the same way it was changed when recorded (by using this method but reversed i guess) creating a replica of the recorded sound.

Thats the AS description. I'll happily be corrected by some one who knows more than a paragraph in a book!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here