Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Life On Mars

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Great 1 liners though:

"while you were fannying about wondering what colour underpants Denis Law was wearing..."

apposite for 1973

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
tedebear said:
I was sitting there wondering where they are getting all the cars!! :clap: :cool: I'd have a few of them esp the Capri :smokin:

That Capri was mint

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Something like Shameless is so much better than Life On Mars its scary- i mean, yesterday, WTF was all those awful one liners about football/referees in the opening 5 minutes? Is it ironic or just crap?

Its like watching a Dick and Dom kids program.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
the right footed denilson said:
Something like Shameless is so much better than Life On Mars its scary- i mean, yesterday, WTF was all those awful one liners about football/referees in the opening 5 minutes? Is it ironic or just crap?

They were jokes. :)

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

I do agree that Shamless is better, but I am enjoying Life On Mars. There seems to be some really good stuff coming out of Manchester at present.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing

How can you compare them? They are 2 entirely different programmes.

Life on Mars is fictional entertainment and as such is meant to be enjoyed, not scrutinised.

Quote "One thing they got wrong was that the match was very unlikely to of been all-ticket"

And if it turns out that it is all a figment of the main character's imagination then nothing has to be factually correct - complete license to just be entertaining.

Last edited:

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
eastlondonseagull said:
It was, that's why the kid couldn't go until John Simm gave him a ticket.

35p, though, well I never :)

I think the point he was trying to make was that it wouldn't have actually been all-ticket back then. They would have paid at the turnstiles

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Hiney said:
What's that?

Chicken in a basket

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
also from this week (watched on vid last night...)

when Simm catches the D.I. slipping a Mickey Fin to the arch-hoolie...

"Is that ethical?"

"No, it's vodka..."

great stuff - cheesiness of the football related stuff was in keeping with the rest of the series... would be interesting to see someone try and "do" 70s style hooliganism realistically though - What was it really like when Tottenham took the North Stand in 1978? (I was only 9 years old and can't really remember it other than " 'it him on the 'ead with a baseball bat " and the fact that while everyone around us was legging it onto the pitch my Dad insisted we were perfectly safe and should stay exactly where we were (just to the right of the goal, about a third of the way back from the front)... I think he was right that the North London invasion force probably weren't likely to attack a vicar and his children, but it was scary at the time...!

was anyone else on here a bit older and in the top/middle of the North Stand where they came in?!

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Haven't watched this weeks "Life on Mars " yet. I have got it taped but I remember getting into the goldtone for 15p and was outraged when it went up to a quid a few years later:D

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
227 BHA said:
I think the point he was trying to make was that it wouldn't have actually been all-ticket back then. They would have paid at the turnstiles

Not so sure about that.

I used to collect programs as a kid. I had an Everton program,around about that time., which said "As usual we are heavily over-subscribed for tickets for the forthcoming match against Liverpool, which is sold out". I would assume that Man U V Man City would be the same.

We used to have all ticket games. eg Derby in the League Cup.

Don't know for sure though (about United).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
eastlondonseagull said:
Here's the Cortina for you. Wonder how much the Beeb paid for it?

http://www.classicperformanceford.com/Ford_Cortina_MK3_RUO568N/page01.htm

cortinaDSCF0016.jpg

an NSC member is selling one of these ;)

here

http://www.throbnozzle-racing.co.uk/index.html

jonogulls

Aug 2, 2004
Buzza said:
Not so sure about that.

I used to collect programs as a kid. I had an Everton program,around about that time., which said "As usual we are heavily over-subscribed for tickets for the forthcoming match against Liverpool, which is sold out". I would assume that Man U V Man City would be the same.

We used to have all ticket games. eg Derby in the League Cup.

Don't know for sure though (about United).

I've been to United and Liverpool derbies in the 70s, and never had to buy s ticket. You always had to be in the Stretford End by about 2, but no all-ticket games from what I can remember.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
a great programme looking forward to tonights episode

'Sam hears his mother's voice saying goodbye, and worries that doctors in 2006 are about to turn his life support system off. When a hostage situation crops up, he becomes convinced that resolving the crisis without a single casualty will cause him to wake up in his own time. But Gene is determined to go in with all guns blazing, putting everyone's safety at risk'
:clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here