Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes District Council Cabinet Meeting on Thursday

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Lord Bracknell said:
My understanding is that, on the basis of the advice received from Counsel, Lewes District Council's officers are recommending that the Council go ahead with an application for Judicial Review.

The Cabinet is likely to approve that recommendation this afternoon.

LB ....what happens next?...can an application for Judicial Review be rejected?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Curious Orange said:
I hope all Lewes based fans are prepping their suitably outraged responses to this wanton recklessness with public money?

Unfortunately, the majority of the people in Lewes who are supportive of the Albion aren't on NSC. It needs the club to get yet another letter writing campaign underway.

I'm getting well pissed off with those bastards in Falmer.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
In what way can LDC complain that the process was illegal, irrational or unfair?

The whole process went on for years, giving everyone their say. The decision was explained in detail. I can't see where LDC's lawyers can argue against the process.

They can't argue that it was unfair because they don't like the outcome.

The Auditor said:
LB ....what happens next?...can an application for Judicial Review be rejected?
Oh yes.

But the first stage of the case involves only the applicant (Lewes District Council) and the Judge. Lewes would only have to set out the outline of their case. Judges usually agree to the initial application, provided there is some substance to it.

No-one from the other side gets a hearing until the full case comes to court. That's the point at which costs start to mount.

We can be confident that Prescott's Office will pull out all the stops to defend the decision that he has made.

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Can someone put up a list of email addresses and mail addresses for us to write/email to please.

I understand that we are coming in for a 10% hike in our council tax next year. But they seem to have plenty of (my) money to splash around!

:censored:

Lammy said:
Can someone put up a list of email addresses and mail addresses for us to write/email to please.

I understand that we are coming in for a 10% hike in our council tax next year. But they seem to have plenty of (my) money to splash around!

:censored:
This is the History Man's post on an earlier thread:-

If you live in Lewes District then now is the time to put a bit of pressure on the council.

By their own figures, the council spent about £160,000 on the public inquiry. Any more would surely be an even more serious waste of money - YOUR money!

And let's face it, the evidence shows that many more people support the stadium in Lewes District than oppose it. Our petition had 4,958 signatures supporting the stadium from Lewes, the antis' petition had 994. I make that about 5 to 1 in favour.

It's been through a democratic process. They should now accept the result - and the benefits to Lewes District that will follow.

Needless to say, please keep all letters polite.

Really, this is only for Lewes District residents (which includes, East Saltdean, Telscombe Cliffs, Peacehaven, Newhaven, Seaford, Ringmer, Chailey, etc.) There is no point in everyone emailing the council leader or chief executive outside of Lewes because the messages will be ignored - and those from within Lewes will probably also get ignored. So please, Lewes residents only.

Your should write to your own councillor. If you don’t know who your district councillor is, contact Lewes District Council on (01273) 471600 or see
www.lewes.gov.uk/council/1818.asp

Note that some wards (in the towns) have two or even three councillors.

The leader of the council is Ann De Vecchi
Leader, Lewes District Council
47 Southover High Street, Lewes BN7 1HX
ann.devecchi@lewes.gov.uk

You can also try
John Crawford
Chief Executive, Lewes District Council
Lewes House, 32 High Street, Lewes BN7 2LX
john.crawford@lewes.gov.uk

It would also be worth letters to the editors of the Sussex Express and The Argus:
Sussex Express
Temple House, 25-26 High Street, Lewes BN7 2LU
www.lewestoday.co.uk/contactus.aspx

The Argus
Crowhurst Road, Hollingbury, Brighton BN1 8AR
www.theargus.co.uk/the_argus/feedback/

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lord B (or anyone).

At what point could councillors be deemed to be acting beyond their powers and start facing the threat of surcharge. It strikes me that applying for judicial review in this instance, and wasting taxpayers' money, is 'wilful misconduct' in making political judgment to fight something that isn't even their district.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
How long could all this take? Is this first stage dealt with quickly? I think the majority of cases usually get rejected before they get to court.

People in Lewes District MUST make a fuss about this, tell your friends and neighbours as well. This an outrageous and willful misuse of taxpayers money being used to fund a personal crusade by certain council members.

Gwylan said:
Lord B (or anyone).

At what point could councillors be deemed to be acting beyond their powers and start facing the threat of surcharge. It strikes me that applying for judicial review in this instance, and wasting taxpayers' money, is 'wilful misconduct' in making political judgment to fight something that isn't even their district.
Surcharging individual councillors has been abolished.

The point you make about fighting "something that isn't even their district" won't stand up. The stadium isn't in their district, but part of the transport infrastructure is. The Club did submit two planning applications to Lewes District Council and it was Prescott who said YES to both of these.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks for that Ed, I didn't realise that surcharging individual councillors had been abolished.

Does that mean that councillors can do anything they like with taxpayers' money without any sanctions on them personally? It's a pity that wasn't the case before Clay Cross, Lambeth and Liverpool councillors were clobbered.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lord Bracknell said:
No. He merely reported that none of the other sites was suitable.

but that is not wat Huxam said.......he specifically said that all three inspectors were over-ruled by Prescott

Gwylan said:
Thanks for that Ed, I didn't realise that surcharging individual councillors had been abolished.

Does that mean that councillors can do anything they like with taxpayers' money without any sanctions on them personally? It's a pity that wasn't the case before Clay Cross, Lambeth and Liverpool councillors were clobbered.
Nobody in power cared about the Clay Cross councillors. For some reason, it was Shirley Porter's case that set people thinking that the law needed changing.

:angry: :censored: :angry:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lord Bracknell said:
Nobody in power cared about the Clay Cross councillors. For some reason, it was Shirley Porter's case that set people thinking that the law needed changing.

:angry: :censored: :angry:

Exactly. If it's Labour councillors being surcharged that's all right but Tory ones? Change the law!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Lord Bracknell said:
My understanding is that, on the basis of the advice received from Counsel, Lewes District Council's officers are recommending that the Council go ahead with an application for Judicial Review."

Can't say I'm surprised. I have heard from 2 sources that counsel for Falmer & Lewes were both amazed at the Inspector's last report to the DPM . They were both convinced that they had proved that Sheepcote and THV were viable alternatives to Falmer. That is also the quoted view of those Falmer residents who sat through the Inquiry. Having sat through it myself I think they were very blinkered not to see the problems with those 2 sites.

I wrote to my 2 Seaford councillors over a week ago protesting at any further waste of taxpayers' money on opposing Falmer but have not had the courtesy of a reply. Both are Lib Dems.

:glare: :glare: :glare:

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Reading this there are little if no grounds for a JR.

I can't see that an unlawful decision or action (2) has been taken by a public body (3); and, no alternative remedy (4) is available.

JP was quite clear in his report that there were no alternatives, & how can his decision be unlawful as this is the laid down process.

If LDC go for it, I see this being thrown out at the first post.

What I think is worrying is that any good QC would be able to argue both for & against a JR based on what his cleint's expectations are so it is important that as many of us & others in Lewes distrcit make their views known if not already done so.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Gaffer said:
Lord Bracknell said:
My understanding is that, on the basis of the advice received from Counsel, Lewes District Council's officers are recommending that the Council go ahead with an application for Judicial Review."

Can't say I'm surprised. I have heard from 2 sources that counsel for Falmer & Lewes were both amazed at the Inspector's last report to the DPM . They were both convinced that they had proved that Sheepcote and THV were viable alternatives to Falmer. That is also the quoted view of those Falmer residents who sat through the Inquiry. Having sat through it myself I think they were very blinkered not to see the problems with those 2 sites.

I wrote to my 2 Seaford councillors over a week ago protesting at any further waste of taxpayers' money on opposing Falmer but have not had the courtesy of a reply. Both are Lib Dems.

:glare: :glare: :glare:

I took the liberty of copying in the editor of the argus when I emailed. I'll expect a reply.

editor@theargus.co.uk

+

john.eccles@sussexnewspapers.co.uk (Sussex Express)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
From what I've read it would seem that the only argument that they might have is that maybe the economic regeneration of deprived wards is not in the national interest, as the Inspectors report from the re-opened Inquiry is quite clear that the alternative sites are not suitable.

It would take quite some balls to argue that a muddy field with some concrete Uni buildings is more important than social deprivation mind.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Sorry guys. They'll get a Judicial Review. They'll say it was irrational to overrule the first reports.

Council Tax Martyr would cause a few headlines. Get people to chip in a couple of quid to pay the court bills.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here